: Brake Fluid - Does quality matter?

Jacket
08-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I need to flush and fill my wife's car's brake fluid (routine maintenance). I've never spent any time researching if there are different types of fluids, and if some are better for your car's brake system than others. I know there's tons of opinions and debate over motor oil and gear fluids, but I've never seen a discussion about brake fluid? Anyone care to offer one up?

fjcruzer
08-15-2007, 11:58 AM
When I did the brakes on my '86 Tercel 4WD wagon I used the OEM recommended stuff and it's been happy ever since...:)

RedRunnertc
08-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I think changing it regularly is more important than what kind... it all absorbs water, so make sure it's from a fresh bottle and get as much of the old stuff out as you can.

00regcab
08-15-2007, 01:27 PM
if it were in your truck, or a vehicle that sees ALOT of offroad activity, or high performance braking, i would suggest dot4 instead of dot3.

The brand escapes me at the moment, but ive always used the (lol) yellow bottle... and ive never had any problems with it :shrugs:

spindleshanks
08-15-2007, 04:52 PM
I find that the higher quality features more of that piquant aftertaste that I look for in hydraulic fluid.

Jacket
08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
:lmao: Is that what you'll be drinking tonight?

spindleshanks
08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm a brake drink drunk.
Cheers!

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
I am such a bad influence! *grin*

Volcom
08-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Some of the best rated fluid on the market is the Valvoline SynPower dot 4. You can use dot 3 or dot 4 in normal brake systems. Quite a few autocross and road race guys use this stuff in their race cars. I use it in my rock crawler.

devinsixtyseven
08-29-2007, 10:35 AM
DOT 3/4 is fine for just about everyone.

Higher rating generally means higher boiling point, also generally means higher rate of water vapor absorption.

You should be flushing annually, and the reservoir is more or less sealed anyway, so the type isn't as important unless you're getting specialized fluid with very high BP and equally high absorption, which would be a waste of money unless you're taking your rig to the oval track every weekend.

-Sean

TruckinT
08-29-2007, 12:31 PM
For me, when it comes to something little and routine like this, I splooge for the good stuff because honestly, does $5 or $10 more really matter once a year? In my race kart, and my truck, I use Quadriga GS 610. It's a full synthetic that exceeds DOT4 requirements even when saturated with water (Wet ERBP).

It's a night and day difference in my kart between GS 610 and any other DOT4. In my truck, it's not AS noticeable but after lots of braking, there has NEVER been pedal fade.

EDIT: Here's the link for GS 610...
http://www.liteswap.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=gs610&Category_Code=brakefluid