: I have a question?? 98 Tacoma V6 4x4

04-03-2005, 05:38 PM
I have a 98 tacoma V6 4x4 and I hear a noise in the engine. It sounds like a dry hydraulic lifter or a loose tappett? Also how do u change the transmission oil? Is it a big job?

thanks

hawaiianbro
04-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Bump I have the same vehicle....same question. He didn't say whether he had a manual or auto? I have a manual though!

MattyFatty182
04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
I have a 98 tacoma V6 4x4 and I hear a noise in the engine. It sounds like a dry hydraulic lifter or a loose tappett? Also how do u change the transmission oil? Is it a big job?

thanks
Mine does the same thing. I never thought twice about it.

Changing the transmission oil is easy, if you have the right tools. I have a lift, so that is simple for me, but some ramps and saftey gear should allow you enough room.

Remember to let it cool down in the garage or driveway for a couple of hours. That oil gets FUCKING HOT!

04-04-2005, 04:12 AM
it is a auto.

Yeti
04-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Youve got to take off the pan on the bottom of the tranny, then the oil spooges out all around it. just loosen all the bolts and crack the pan down some so it lets the oil out slowly instead of jsut popping off and shooting oil everywhere. Dont haynes manuals explain this stuff?

04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
i dont think is a lifter b/c if it was you would hear it at idla. mine you dont hear it tell around 3000 rpm.. u cant hear it out side eather only in the cab?
anyone?? :rolleyes:

DesertTRD
04-04-2005, 01:58 PM
i dont think is a lifter b/c if it was you would hear it at idla. mine you dont hear it tell around 3000 rpm.. u cant hear it out side eather only in the cab?
anyone?? :rolleyes:
check your belts, i had the same noise and it turned out ot be i had a small nick in one of my belts and it was making the noise only at higher rpm's the toy mech that told me about it used some belt dressing to kill the noise, then i replaced the belts to get ride of the problem.

04-06-2005, 02:46 PM
The nose was a pin hole in the exhaust flange! Thank god! As for the trans oil its done now to!

Toyotajoe
04-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Youve got to take off the pan on the bottom of the tranny, then the oil spooges out all around it. just loosen all the bolts and crack the pan down some so it lets the oil out slowly instead of jsut popping off and shooting oil everywhere. Dont haynes manuals explain this stuff?

I just loosened/removed the drain plug on my '98. Found that to be much easier and cleaner.

Larry
04-06-2005, 07:05 PM
If you want to do a drain and refill ( only changes out approx. 4 qts of transmission fluid ) there is a drain plug on the bottom of your transmission fluid pan to do this procedure. ( get a new drain plug gasket ). If you want to change out all of the fluid this will take 14 - 18 quarts of fluid and unless you have done this before I would take it to a good shop and have it done. The filter in your transmission is a wire mesh type and it is not necessary to change this filter and the transmission oil pan should not be pulled down unless done by someone with the proper training ( there are several small magnets in this pan and it is my understanding that they have to be properly positioned ).

Yeti
04-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Im sorry, I shouldnt have tried to give info here becuase I actually have neer seen a tacoma auto trans and Ive only changed fords where I had to drop the pan off.... sorry my fault