: Acetone increases gas mileage?

03trdblack
04-04-2005, 09:12 AM
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143848

Check out these links. What does everything think about this? Anyone ever tried it to see if it actually works without screwing up your engine?

GreenTaco4x4
04-04-2005, 09:22 AM
I believe it is used when making home made racing gas.

03trdblack
04-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Well, I don't think the link is making racing gas. It just says to add an ounce of acetone per 10 gallons of fuel and you will increase your gas mileage. Any validity to this?

zero4
04-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Good find, I'm curious too. So who's gonna try it first and give us results.

03trdblack
04-04-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm going to try it today. Will be a tank before I can give some results.

tanKoma
04-04-2005, 10:25 AM
hmm does laquer thinner work as well? :rolleyes:

Bryanccfshr
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
I would be a bit leary of putting such a harsh solvent in my fuel system. Why not use something that lubricates the Fuelp pump and the injectors without being so harsh on the seals? If you have leaky injectors is this safte to drip past your rings and into your crankcase? 15% sems like an unrealistic number but it's your truck. I use Fuel power at 1oz to 5 gallons and don't have to worry about long term damage. At 26 bucks a gallon it last a long time.

CMB1998
04-04-2005, 11:03 AM
I would be a bit leary of putting such a harsh solvent in my fuel system. Why not use something that lubricates the Fuelp pump and the injectors without being so harsh on the seals? If you have leaky injectors is this safte to drip past your rings and into your crankcase? 15% sems like an unrealistic number but it's your truck. I use Fuel power at 1oz to 5 gallons and don't have to worry about long term damage. At 26 bucks a gallon it last a long time.

I used to use acetone qutie a bit when I was painting back a few years. That is some harsh stuff. It will chew though rubber without any problems. I would be worried about having that stuff sit it my truck. My main concern would be having it eat through the fuel filter and having little bits of filter going through the injectors.

Entirely up to you. As mentioed before, its your truck. Let us know how it works.

Chris

03trdblack
04-04-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm only going to try one tankful. If it doesn't do anything, I won't do it anymore. I have to wonder though, its only 2 oz per 18.5 gallons of fuel. Seems to me that that wouldn't really be enough to really harm anything.

Kinda like peeing in the ocean, it'll be diluted a lot. Some of those intake cleaners like seafoam seem pretty harsh too and we use them a lot.

Bryanccfshr
04-04-2005, 11:28 AM
If you like doping your fuel, use something safe for the entire system. http://www.lubecontrol.com/fuel.htm

Schaeffer's neutra is pretty good too.

KSdblcab
04-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Interesting, you might want to do some minor experiments first, but note that acetone would do less harm than E85. Try placing a small amount of fuel hose (left over from rear diff mod) in some acetone and gas and observe any degradations over a few weeks to months. I know it's not as quick as simply adding to your tank, which if you're going to do, you might as well place some in a container with fuel line and keep us updated.

Also, remember that acetone is a solvent for paints, plastics, and adhesives and as a chemical intermediate. So don't spill any on your paint, and one might wonder if any damage would occur to the injectors after extended use. Keep us posted and good luck.

GreenTaco4x4
04-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, I don't think the link is making racing gas. It just says to add an ounce of acetone per 10 gallons of fuel and you will increase your gas mileage. Any validity to this?

Obviously not, however it may solve your problem of knowing whether it will hurt your truck or not.

96tacolx
04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I was filling up my truck one day and saw this kid put a quart of what looked like rubbing alcohol in his tank. I`m thinking "wtf?" and as soon as he leaves I looked in the trash and sure enough, that`s what it was.

Tankota
04-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I was filling up my truck one day and saw this kid put a quart of what looked like rubbing alcohol in his tank. I`m thinking "wtf?" and as soon as he leaves I looked in the trash and sure enough, that`s what it was.

It's actually an octane booster, not that I'd use it.. and it's only slight.. Usualy used by somebody either cheap or because they heard about it on the internet..

Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Jamier2
04-04-2005, 08:01 PM

I have done that before. Not to improve performance, but I have always heard that it "removes" water from gas. I know that it does not remove the water, but I do know that alcohol is water soluble, and flammable, so maybe it makes the water have a little less effect on the engine when it goes through?

I am ashamed to admit that I only lacked one class for a Chemistry major when I was in college. :) I never really liked chemistry that much anyway.

hunter8104
04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
If you like doping your fuel, use something safe for the entire system. http://www.lubecontrol.com/fuel.htm

Schaeffer's neutra is pretty good too.

Have you ever tired that lc20? looks like something that i might try and get

Bryanccfshr
04-04-2005, 08:49 PM
I have been using it for about 6 months now. I drive my truck so infrequently it is hard to tell if I got a MPG improvement, but I think it helps when my truck sits for a few weeks at a time in preserving the fuel, fighting moisture and keeping the syetem clean when I run it.
On Our trip car, an 04 outlander it just got past 10k and we are apporaching spring. I use LC when I am home and the mileage has steadily been increasing, but that I attribute that to warmer weather and the moly piston rings starting to seat well.

If you have a higher mileage vehicle you may see a more dramatic increase in performance. I like it becasue it is a low cost fuel system maintenance and it doesn't do nasty things to seal or the oil when it blows by the rigns when you burn it. Seafoam, Chevron Techron,BG44 all are extremely rough solvents and get into the oil and reduce it's lubricity. After a lot of research I decided I would rather add this to my gas and carry it in my truck than use other fuel system cleaners.

Try the LC as well. It is neat stuff. and if you follow the instructions of 1 oz per qt on initiial fill and 1 oz ever 1k miles it will keep the oil in very good condition (mine stays cleaner and doesn't darken as fast) due to reduced oxidation. This will reduce the production of deposits. Again. I like it, it works with any oil and is not to out of this world expensive. I have a UOA sample ready to send when I get back home off of a dino run for 6 months using both LC and FP. I just switched to synthetic and will sample in 6 months and attempt to make a year OCI in the Taco if insolubles and beach sand stay low enough.
you can research these products more at www.bobistheoilguy.com. Go to the forum and search in the additives forum as well as the oil analysis forums for Lube control and Fuel power. It sure is better than pouring harsh solvents into your fuel tank.

01tacoTRD
04-05-2005, 12:29 AM
There is a guy that comes into my work all the time and buys Toluene to put in his Lightning. He says it helps with his fuel economy, some people run it in their vehicles so they can run more timing without causing predetonation. Acetone is a fairly fast evaporating solvent, don't know how much grounds it has for helping your MPG, but I'd look into toluene for a performance gain.

KSdblcab
04-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Kinda like peeing in the ocean, it'll be diluted a lot. Some of those intake cleaners like seafoam seem pretty harsh too and we use them a lot.

Now that you've been bombarded with several different solvents/chemicals, your best bet would be to add some E85 to your tank if you just want to increase octane. Since pump gas already contains ethanol at a low percentage, and seafoam is just scented snake oil.

Isopropanol; (isopropyl alcohol, 2-propanol, rubbing alcohol) is 70% in water and later oxidized to acetone anyway.
Methanol; is used to denature ethanol (in pump gas), so you should probably pass on that one.
Tertiary butanol; (tertiary butyl alcohol) is just the forth isomer of of butanol
Toluene; (toluol) is a petroleum hydrocarbon, ie containing benzene ring, just say no.
E85 (85% ethanol) is for flexible fuel vehicles and damaging to our tacomas because of the corrosive properties of ethanol, but at low percentages it's still better than trying to become an overnight chemist

Moral of the story/advice; there is no super chemical to significantly increase your mpg or horsepower, and those that do tend to have side effects or hazards. If you are that concerned about increasing hp, mpg, speed, etc. Then the best thing to do is get a car, i.e civic, accord, hybrid, neon, whatever, and drive like a very cautious older individual.

Or be proud that you have the greatest truck on the road, and since it's a truck you're okay with the still decent mpg, hp, capabilities. And you're okay with the fact that it rides like a truck, and you feel the bumps in the road, and don't float down the highway. I'll agree, gas is expensive (not really considering other coutries), but no one ever said the off road hobby was cheap. It's hard to justify a hobby expense if you don't have the money, not that this hobby should be elitest, but the constant complaining is not making it cheaper. Besides, you can increase mpg, hp, paint shine, etc by adding a $4 sticker.

Sorry, this was just one man's rant, and in no way did I intend to offend, so if I did... PISS OFF! <--- Just kidding, always read the fine print.

appa
04-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing) is used as a gas line antifreeze. It helps to remove water from the gas tank caused by condensation. It works by suspending the water in the gas so it can be run through the fuel sytem with out freezing up in the lines. You see it used a lot here in northern new england during the winters.

DakotaTacoma
09-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Saw the link to this “mod” on another forum, was going to ask if anyone here had tried it, did the search and found this thread......but still no real answer.

So what's the consensus? Snake oil that will do nothing?
Or will it do as promised?....more MPG
Or do anything bad?....like eat the rubber fuel lines, gaskets, or kill a sensor

Kyota
09-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Saying that acetone is more ummm... explosive (is it?) than gasoline, it probably SHOULD increase gas milage because of that. But, it SHOULD also cause some sort of preignition as well.

That is saying that 1 oz per 10 gallons is enough to make a differance.

Like mention 5 months ago, that is some harsh shit and is used to CLEAN things such as gasket surfaces where you reapply the crap the you removed.

I wouldn't do it.

BigBro
09-16-2005, 09:17 AM
FWIW, I have tried it in a few tanks in my 02 D-Cab on a long highway trip. I kept the speed down to 55 or 60, was super easy on acceleration, and basically gave it every opportunity to increase my mileage. Result - - after about 5 tankfulls of the stuff, my mileage was dropping and was at that point under 15 mpg. So, on the way back, I took essentially the same route and did NOT baby it at all. Result - - mileage immediately popped back up to tolerable levels. A friend of mine said, "well that's because you used too much acetone". My response was "BS, I used exactly what was recommended after reading a lot on the subject."

Your results may vary, but I will definitely keep it out of my Taco. I believe it may work for some vehicles, but on a Tacoma??? Good luck!

zszac111
09-16-2005, 10:41 AM
just grind up some moth balls and mix them in a gallon of gas, makes methanol (sp?) i beleive, just dont put alot of them or you will fawk some stuff up :D basically acts like an oct. booster.

emminz
09-16-2005, 10:30 PM
You can get up to 10% or better milage just by changing the way you drive, especially if you have a 5spd. You won't see much difference if most your driving is highway, but if you do city driving, changing the way you shift and go up and down hills can make a big difference.

tcmaboy
09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
None of those chemicals will improve gas milage or horsepower. Toluene is a hydrocarbon that is some times used as an octane booster. All that would do is increase knock resistance. Running low octane fuel is not really an issue with the Tacoma. It dose work however, but only in fairly high concentration. Sport Compact Car did an article a while back on it and other octane boosters. They found that you need to mix it in at about 30% concentration to get any apreciable gains out of 91 pump gas. Be wary of a common octane myth. More is not better. Higher octane fuels are harder to burn. You only need high octane fuels in forced induction(turbo/supercharged) or high compression engines. The only guys that need high octane fuel are the ones with the TRD blower. Ethenol/methenol are also high octane fuels, and need to be run in much richer mixes than gas. Gas has an ideal AFR of roughly 14 to 1. Alcohol motors need to be run closer to 5 or 6 to 1. Alcohol injection is sometimes used in boosted engines to improve knock resistance. It is very hard on anything rubber. Alcohol is also great at disolving oil. It will wash the oil off your cylnder walls. Pretty hard on your rings if you ask me. The key in case no one has noticed is that all these things do is improve knock resistance. No horsepower gains. No fuel economy gains. Just an increase in knock resistance. High octane=hard to burn. Most things out there that claim to boos HP/ improve fuel econ. without major modification to your engine are nothing more than snake oil. I would not use acetone, mineral spirits, moth balls, or any other home brew you find online. Your fuel system and oxygen sensors will pay the price.

ARB1977
09-16-2005, 11:41 PM
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143848

Check out these links. What does everything think about this? Anyone ever tried it to see if it actually works without screwing up your engine?
If you have doughts dont do it. You bought a truck and not a hybrid. Either way gas prices suck but we can be in much worse shape considering other countrys we are still much cheaper. I would never add any additive that could harm the fuel system like acetone but be the ginny pig and let us know how it works. If something goes wrong im glad its not my truck.

Delt41
09-18-2005, 05:36 AM
a friend of mine has been using acetone in his fuel inj cherekee and swears by it. He says his gas mileage has gone up but as for performance cant tell any difference. He has been using it for a few months now without any problems

Rock-N-Ruin
09-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Unless your setup to run a race type of fuel, anything HOT! you will melt rubber fuel lines! it's just that simple! let that crap sit in your fuel system very long and you will have problems, I spent years as an aircraft Mech. I have run 110 octane racefuel (low altitde high oxygen fuel) in my full mod Kaw 771, stand up race ski, just a little bored over from 750 or 743 to be exact, i've melted fuel lines at 104 octane.. all iam sayin is be ready to replace anything made of rubber! Just my opinion and experience...Jeff

lotust
09-18-2005, 03:22 PM
there is no way in hell I would put acetone in my gas tank. Maybe If i had a beater to experement with that would be different.

HappyPills
09-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Unless your setup to run a race type of fuel, anything HOT! you will melt rubber fuel lines! it's just that simple! let that crap sit in your fuel system very long and you will have problems, I spent years as an aircraft Mech. I have run 110 octane racefuel (low altitde high oxygen fuel) in my full mod Kaw 771, stand up race ski, just a little bored over from 750 or 743 to be exact, i've melted fuel lines at 104 octane.. all iam sayin is be ready to replace anything made of rubber! Just my opinion and experience...Jeff

You must be doing something wrong then. I run 130% race full in my jetski and don't have a single problem with lines or anything.

Scootn2nature
09-27-2005, 02:52 PM
definetly mix it with a couple gallons b4 adding it to avoid direct contact with rubber and paint or plastic on it's way down 2 the gas

tcmaboy
09-27-2005, 03:21 PM
definetly mix it with a couple gallons b4 adding it to avoid direct contact with rubber and paint or plastic on it's way down 2 the gas

I am constantly amazed at the number of people that are so atracted to home brew fuel. Well here you go. I went digging through my hard drive and found some pics of the aftermath of some home brew fuel. I helped pull the pump from a buddy's MK III Supra turbo. A few years back he was playing with home brew in an atempt to cure detonation from raised boost levels. It didn't work, and it wasn't long before the engine sputtered and died. It was about a week if I remember correct. Among the ingredients were things like mineral spirits and acetone. What you see is what is left of the hose that connects to the fuel pump and the rubber grommet that goes between the pump and braket. The pump still worked, but we replaced it just in case.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/tcmaboy/melt.jpg