: 12" too much?

Jberg188
04-04-2005, 11:32 PM
right now i have 3" body and 3.5" fabtech suspension on my 04 doublecab and i was thinking about getting the 6" trailmaster on top of that with 36 or 37" IROKs. Is this a bad move? i don't do any hardcore offroading. What else would i have to change besides my gearing? roughly how much should it cost to change the gearing on a 4 wheel drive taco? What kinda problems have you guys heard about with a setup like this?--thanks

Bryanccfshr
04-04-2005, 11:37 PM
For most women yes.

Edited since I realized where this was and I wanted to add that it wasn't a flame it was a joke!

A few have run the 12" of IFS lift. I even think Shannon was at or close to it in his LAter IFS days.

themariachi
04-04-2005, 11:39 PM
that's not how it works...3.5+6+3 does not equal 12" of lift. what you'll wanna do is run the 6" tm and the 3" body for 9" total lift. many will tell you that using spacers, or any other type, with the drop bracket kits is not a good idea. don't get greedy, stay with 9"...

themariachi
04-04-2005, 11:40 PM
For most women yes.
edit*************
if it works for that girl in your avatar...that's fine by me:D

mr.trd
04-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Actually it does work that way.... You can add more to the 6" if you want, but it will kill your cv's and so will 36's or 37's..... I am one to really talk though. I am running 35" MT/R's with what is supposed to be 5.5" but has settled to about 3.5"... and yes they fit. Many will not say that I clear them, but they don't seem to slow me down on the trail, so I say I clear them.... but the trick is to used our friend "the sawzall". Now back to the point. I have 35's and can snap a cv whenever whereever I want, I try not to, but 35's are just too big for our dinky cv's. Now when you say that you don't wheel much, is that read "My truck never goes into 4 wheel drive" or "I only use 4 wheel drive when I have too" If it is read the second way then 36's are too big if it is read the first way, then do whatever you want, cause your cv's will never get used.....

themariachi
04-05-2005, 12:19 AM
what i meant is...that it would be a bad idea. i've heard a few people who have tried that and all of them blew cvs like it was no tomorrow...like you said do what ever you want...

TWIN
04-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Before you give up read this:

A guy I met at school has the 6inch TM, 3 inch body, and coilover lift running 37x12.50 SSRs. It looks wicked. I asked him if he ever had any problems with the truck mechanically. He wheels somewhat and said the only problem he ever had was that his steering column extension came loose. He still has the original parts of everything else except for the lift and gears and it's all been on for a couple of years. I'll send you some pics if you want.
-Matt

hawthorne
04-05-2005, 06:40 AM
i new a guy who did this a few years back and he couldnt go off roading his front axle shafts would just pull out of the diff if he did but it looked good

themariachi
04-05-2005, 11:38 PM
For most women yes.

Edited since I realized where this was and I wanted to add that it wasn't a flame it was a joke!

A few have run the 12" of IFS lift. I even think Shannon was at or close to it in his LAter IFS days.
actually, that's what i was doing right now...i realized that i may have flamed someone in this section...nothing yet

hytenor
04-06-2005, 02:07 AM
right now i have 3" body and 3.5" fabtech suspension on my 04 doublecab and i was thinking about getting the 6" trailmaster on top of that with 36 or 37" IROKs. Is this a bad move? i don't do any hardcore offroading. What else would i have to change besides my gearing? roughly how much should it cost to change the gearing on a 4 wheel drive taco? What kinda problems have you guys heard about with a setup like this?--thanks
Its been done but is not a good idea. anything larger than 33s with IFS and things start breaking much sooner and wearing out even faster.
that much lift puts the center of gravity way up there and chances of easy rollover is darn near emminant.

35s and larger are for solid axle rigs with full width axles.

tenntaco
04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
anything larger than 33s with IFS and things start breaking much sooner and wearing out even faster.

I break a lot of stuff w/ 33's. I'd like to have 35's for a little more clearance, but I can't imagine what that would do to my front suspension :eek:

Dick Foster
04-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Don't do anything over a 33" tire with an IFS setup unless you're just a street poser. You will break shit and probably roll the truck and total it. If you want to run larger tires and actually wheel the thing, you'd better start thinking about an SAS. In that case the, TM would wind up being a total waste of money.

hytenor
04-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I break a lot of stuff w/ 33's. I'd like to have 35's for a little more clearance, but I can't imagine what that would do to my front suspension :eek:

you'd just break more stuff more often ;)

mr.trd
04-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Don't do anything over a 33" tire with an IFS setup unless you're just a street poser. You will break shit and probably roll the truck and total it. If you want to run larger tires and actually wheel the thing, you'd better start thinking about an SAS. In that case the, TM would wind up being a total waste of money.

Really Dick, you calling me a poser now!!!! Hey I do believe that I wheel the shit out of my truck, especially for having the IFS. To be honest it really doesn't limit me that much. Just have to learn to drive with three tires rather than four, since I am usually packing one tire up in the air since it don't flex for shit.... I won't say anything about breaking stuff, cause I have deffinatly done that, but what is a cv anyway, $90, you can buy alot of cv's for the price of a SAS, granted I have broke more than just cv's but to shell out the bucks all at once for a SAS just hasn't fit into the budget yet. And I sure as hell ain't going to let a little thing like IFS slow me down.... :D :D :D

Dick Foster
04-06-2005, 03:27 PM
You ain't got no damn business jacking an IFS up in air like that damn it. You gonna fall down go boom if you do, knothead. SAS ain't as bad as all that anyway. You just start chipping away at that parts pile and looking for good deals along the way. Before you know it, you'll be ready to Geter Done. There's a guy parting out a 96 Taco with a HP44 SAS on the cali board right now. I'd be willing to bet you could find a good deal or two in there somewhere.

Poser ;)

mr.trd
04-07-2005, 10:12 AM
You ain't got no damn business jacking an IFS up in air like that damn it. You gonna fall down go boom if you do, knothead. SAS ain't as bad as all that anyway. You just start chipping away at that parts pile and looking for good deals along the way. Before you know it, you'll be ready to Geter Done. There's a guy parting out a 96 Taco with a HP44 SAS on the cali board right now. I'd be willing to bet you could find a good deal or two in there somewhere.

Poser ;)

Dick you rock.... Much love brotha. I know it really isn't that bad once you set your mind to it, but living in a apartment with no garage just don't really make you wanna set parts out in the weather. But I close on my house the 25th of this month and it has a oversized two car garage so that my change my outlook. I have a D44 right out of a Waggy right now, but I have decided to go full width when I do it and just put a 9" in rear to match, but then I think I just go 1-ton right off the bat. If I gotta wait, might as well make it worth it.... Only problem with 1-tons is then I think I would have to run at least a 40" tire to get any real clearance under the pumpkins....

Did you ever get your new rear end??? what did you end up with? Rear steer?

Dick Foster
04-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Not for the Taco. It seems to be holding up. I found a bitchin axle solution from some folks in Salt Lake for the FJ project though. That will definatelly be rear steer. Bling Taco Dan was bitchin about the clearance issue with the D60 he put in his rig out at AZ Rocks so you may what to ponder that one a little.

mr.trd
04-07-2005, 03:07 PM
In SLC ehhh, what is the name of the business? They may be a Utah TTORA sponsor? Yeh I think that I just wanna do a heavy duty HP D44 and a 9" and just run 37's... Although Dan may have been bitching, then then if he wasn't he wouldn't be Dan......j/k DAN.....And the thought of never really ever breaking would be nice.....

Dick Foster
04-07-2005, 03:17 PM
They are not a sponser and not likely to be one as their products are somewhat specalized. Their name is Portal Tech and they are kinda new. Don't bother looking for a website yet, you won't find one.

ViableCalifornia
04-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Dick......Los Gatos resident right here.

Not often you find someone in the same 30,000 pop. town as you are.

Daves Ave.'s finest right here. :D

I just bought a 2000 3.4L. Celebrating at CB Hannigans on Fri. :xbeer2:

Dick Foster
04-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I live on Drakes Bay Ave. That's close to National & Carlton or National and Los Gatos Almaden Rd.

Cesario
05-05-2005, 04:07 AM
i agree,
once you get passed the 35 in tire, and get bigger on lift you'll start having some problems here and there if you're doing some serious offroading. if you're a street queen like i was with my 12'' w/ 37's on my prerunner, it'll run for years without any major problems. i'll see if i could find pics

NUKE
06-18-2005, 03:43 PM
I even think Shannon was at or close to it in his LAter IFS days.

That's correct Brian. Shannon was running 12" of combined lift and 36" tires at Moab in 2001.

NUKE
06-18-2005, 03:49 PM
i don't do any hardcore offroading. What else would i have to change besides my gearing? roughly how much should it cost to change the gearing on a 4 wheel drive taco? What kinda problems have you guys heard about with a setup like this?--thanks

IF you don't do anything hardcore you should be OK. Shannon was running 12" of combined lift w/ 36" tires at Moab in 2001 and ran most of the weekend. He did Potato Salad Hill with no probs, he finally snapped a CV joint when he tried to climb the Dump Bump. The point is, you can still do some fairly extreme stuff with the combo you are considering, just realize that parts will be stressed more and will wear out faster. Sooner or later you WILL break something.