: Why the anamosity towards the '05 Taco's?

qk94dawg
04-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Just curious why I see so many threads with people bashing or angry about the '05 Taco's. Just curious, thats all, I really could give a rats ass. :) :D

Seriously though, as a former '00 4runner owner (lifted/SC'd), a former 2nd gen 4runner owner (4inch/35's), this truck is a HUGE improvement over the previous years. I mean, its not even in the same catagory anymore IMHO. I just can't wait to see some modd'd ones hitting the trails. -on another note, does anyone know of any lift kits coming besides the spacer lifts/coilovers. (something in the 4-6 inch range?) I'd like to skip the 32/33inch tire that may rub and go right to a nice clearing 35. :cool:

tenntaco
04-05-2005, 12:13 PM
I haven't really noticed any anamosity. I think most people are just concerned about the direction Toyota is taking with Tacomas. That being said, Toyota is a business and they have to make money. While their recent decisions may not be the most pleasing to this type of crowd, they were sound in the sense that they are catering to the largest market possible.

Bear
04-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Just curious why I see so many threads with people bashing or angry about the '05 Taco's. Just curious, thats all, I really could give a rats ass. :) :D

Seriously though, as a former '00 4runner owner (lifted/SC'd), a former 2nd gen 4runner owner (4inch/35's), this truck is a HUGE improvement over the previous years. I mean, its not even in the same catagory anymore IMHO. I just can't wait to see some modd'd ones hitting the trails. -on another note, does anyone know of any lift kits coming besides the spacer lifts/coilovers. (something in the 4-6 inch range?) I'd like to skip the 32/33inch tire that may rub and go right to a nice clearing 35. :cool:

I am not exactly sure I understand your statement about the anomosity towards the 05's, I wouldn't say it is rampent or anything. But a lot of the times people just don't like change. Also there was an issue with the new "plastic" beds. People were having issues with them cracking with toppers and such that were not intended for them to begin with.

Toyota is trying to fill a market that they believe has a void. Many people around here liked the size of the older Tacos and think Toyota is selling out making the 05 model bigger.

I haven't really thought about all this, so I probably should not comment but maybe those are some ideas for thought.

As for ideas of lifts. Again I don't have much to say about it, other than I remember when I first got into the club back in '99. The way I found the club was because I was doing searches for aftermarket options for my '97 because back then there still wasn't many. I am sure the natural evolution of the 05's will also promote more options for lifts like it did with the other models. Patience may be the prescription for this delimma.

GreenTaco4x4
04-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Its bigger, longer wheel base(i think), lower ground clearance, no SFA, plastic bed. Also I think it looks ugly as a dried up piece of pig shit. But thats just me, your entitled to your own opinion.

Ted
04-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I've seen a few on the road, I would'nt having one for a DD. People don't like different, but after a while it will grow on them.

Dieseler
04-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Personally I love the '05 ( save for the funky wheelwells). It's bigger than the older ones, but not the size of a fullsize truck. Perfect balance for what I want. More power and a better ride, and I love the idea of a composite bed, though time will tell more on that.

I'm not a hardcore off-roader, but I like trails and places/activities that a 4x4 truck just make thing easier and more accessible.

Its a new model vehicle and as such will be waiting for aftermarket parts for awhile. I can't think of a single time that I've seen any new model come out and have everyone cry out "YES! This is better" you just can't make everyone happy.

And in case you're wondering... no I don't own one yet. I will not be a beta tester by buying a 1st year production of any vehicle. But I will own an '06!

05'DCTaco
04-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Im new here but got an 05 taco dec. 27, 04 and it was still on the semi truck when we saw it at the dealer! Love it my mom mostly drives it to work though. it works great for us because we live over a mile off a paved road and in the winter when it rains / snows the road gets hard to drive on and it was time to retire our 94 camry and upgrade for something able to drive on a dirt rd. It has a little over 5,000 miles on it havent had a problem with it yet but got the parking break recall saturday... cant wait to get my self a late 90's taco and make it one bad ass taco :D

bb609
04-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Because the thing is just uckin fugly! I see them on the streets and try to see something good about them but shake my head each time. I used to think the same about the last models too but am happy with my '03. In time I guess...

Scooby do
04-05-2005, 03:51 PM
I am just jealous :-)

jdiesel
04-05-2005, 03:53 PM

Your probably not going to see anyone do much moddin to one for a while. They are so much bigger that previous models. Anyone who is seriously wanting a taco for modding will go with an older model. This new taco is nice looking I will give it that, but Toyota really took away alot of possibilities with this truck. Don't get me wrong I love the truck, but I wouldn't pay the money for something that is limited on what it can do, especially related to its size.

jwol316
04-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I think it is going to grow on everybody. Heard the same bitching around here when the first 2001s rolled off the lot, as well as the first doublecabs. Forming an opinion on a new vehicle is a long, drawn out process. Many of the guys bitchin today will be driving one tomorrow, as proved true with the frontend redesign in 01 and the crewcabs.

Now, the complaints on the taco going backwards from where we want to be are warranted. But lets face facts, its natural vehicle evolution. Every single new toyota thats come out has been less (offroad/reliablility) than its predecessor, but still a kick in the @$$ to nearly all of the competion.

TACO 4X4
04-05-2005, 04:02 PM
There are some who trash it and others who love it...Toyota has always had a reptutation of A) building quality cars and trucks and B) having a good off-road capabilities. A) still appears to be intact but people, including myself hate to see Toyota move farther and farther away from the off-road capabilities. Larger and Lower and not good for off-road (at least that's what I hear:)). I would love to have a 6spd and 245 horses, but wouldn't want it in that size. My wife drives an '05 runner and we love it, but it's our mall wheeler. Only mine will see the trails.

Mike-in-WV
04-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Don't like the idea that they made them bigger, tacomas are not supposed to be big! :) The wheel well flares look like someone droped a stick of TNT under the truck and when they blew up Toyota just left them that way. The plastic beds are a real mistake for Toyota and I'm waiting to see where else they cut corners to save money. They haven't been out all that long and you see allot of complaints on this site and others from new owners.Guess we will just have to see where it goes.
Changing the size kind of sticks in my craw more than anything and they just don't look like a Tacoma anymore. :xcrybaby:

05'DCTaco
04-05-2005, 04:40 PM
There not that much! We only spent 31k on ours got it down from the 35,995 asking price.... its got the trd package sport suspension, 17'aloys... we love that we have a 115V/ 400W 3 prong plug in the bed of the truck... im going to take pics of it tonight when it gets back home... Oh and we beat a new f350 4X4 to the top of a steep hill... it felt like a couple of times it was going to flip over backwards... the cab is very spacious! :p

qk94dawg
04-05-2005, 07:59 PM
I dunno guys, its not that much larger, and I bet it proves to be just as good offroad. I know I hated the new 4runners when they came out (still do), but these Taco's are just a cut above. They are a little pricey, but shit, they are unbelievable quality. The interior resembles a lexus far more than a Tercel (as previous years) IMHO.I bet it also does just great in azrocks '06....maybe bigger will BE better? time will tell. :)

Mike
04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
I dunno guys, its not that much larger, and I bet it proves to be just as good offroad. I know I hated the new 4runners when they came out (still do), but these Taco's are just a cut above. They are a little pricey, but shit, they are unbelievable quality. The interior resembles a lexus far more than a Tercel (as previous years) IMHO.I bet it also does just great in azrocks '06....maybe bigger will BE better? time will tell. :)

Well, for lots of trails, bigger is definitely not better! This is Demello on Axle Alley.

Later,
....Mike

http://www.norcalttora.com/albums/album142/agf.sized.jpg

Gargoyle
04-05-2005, 10:35 PM
OK, I am biased, I already have one. But...
Bigger?
2004 (x-cab) length: 202.9", width: 66.5", height: 67.5", wb: 121.9"
2005 (a-cab) length: 208.1", width: 74.6", height: 69.9", wb: 127.8"
So it is 5.2" longer, 8.1" wider (only 4.3" wider w/ d-cab vs. a-cab), and 2.4" taller. I'm sure no one will complain about the extra height. They made it 6" longer, which is not going to have much trail influence, so the only thing is the width. Personally I have an '86 Toyota PU and the size was always a bit sparse until now. Just sit in one of the new ones and you will notice where the extra size went--interior space, which I think was needed (I am 6'2" BTW). That being said, I looked at the Tundra and would rather have the smaller, more fuel efficient, and better trail-ready Tacoma.
Ya, it is not going to fair well on the MIKE's Axle Alley, but I am willing to bet the reason for that picture was the extreme nature of that crux. The new truck will handle 98% of the same off-road trails that the old truck did. For the remaining 2%, you have an extra 55 HP and 62 ft-lbs of stock torque to help you scratch and dent it up. MIKE's footer even says "Build It - Wheel It - Break It - Fix It"!
I think the arguments against the bed are a bunch of hot air. I had only found ONE story on the whole web about the bed cracking and it was quickly replaced. Toyota will stand behind there workmanship. Everyone who isn't extreme enough to bob their tail gets a bed liner or would like to.
What else: shape, fenders, colors? This is all subjective and maybe a bit of regret, jealousy, or just plain opinion.
After market: I have recently learned that patience is going to be my best ally. I am waiting for bumpers, lifts, etc. and it may be a year or more.
Opinions and bias will rule this argument. Drive the old ones, drive the new one, wait for the 06 if you like, but remember: they are only going to go forward, not back. So the 05 is the future of the Tacoma, like it or not.
Personally, I like it!

Mike
04-05-2005, 10:47 PM
OK, I am biased, I already have one. But...
Bigger?
So it is 5.2" longer, 8.1" wider (only 4.3" wider w/ d-cab vs. a-cab), and 2.4" taller. I'm sure no one will complain about the extra height. They made it 6" longer, which is not going to have much trail influence, so the only thing is the width.

Many of our trails are very tight, and every extra inch of width or wheelbase makes it that much more difficult.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like the new Tacomas, I just think they are too big.

Later,
....Mike

http://www.norcalttora.com/albums/album101/aaa.sized.jpg

jon_7248
04-05-2005, 10:53 PM
personally I dont like the style. Toyota for over 20 years had about the same style in pickups/tacoma. Then this modern style was made that I think should be left to SUVs and LUVs mallrunner riggs.

REALM
04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Personally all I can say is THANK GOODNESS for the '05! I owned a 95.5 Tacoma, and loved it! However, it was nearly a decade ago that I owned that thing and it was so sad that just months ago Toyota was still building the same truck with the same old interior. On top of that, whenever the Tacoma came up, people would often say something to the effect of, "Man, I would love to have the Tacoma, but it's so small. More like I want one like I would want an ATV, not for every day driving."

I couldn't agree more, it was time the Tacoma grew just slightly, and indeed I have seen one up close and it grew just slightly.

The one thing I think Toyota should have done with the '05 is done away with a console that closes the driver/passenger in. They should have made the console go to the floor like in a full-size truck... would be roomier.

Side opening tailgate as well as vertical... it's just time.

Flat floor in the back. Sure you can turn the rear seats down on the double cab, but they should have had them (IMO) flip up so you could put taller stuff in.

Bryanccfshr
04-05-2005, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=05'DCTaco]There not that much! We only spent 31k on ours got it down from the 35,995 asking price.... its got the trd package sport suspension, 17'aloys... we love that we have a 115V/ 400W 3 prong plug in the bed of the truck... im going to take pics of it tonight when it gets back home... Oh and we beat a new f350 4X4 to the top of a steep hill... it felt like a couple of times it was going to flip over backwards... the cab is very spacious! :p[/QUOTE

That's alot for a "compact" truck.

TaCoLiKkEr
04-06-2005, 12:36 AM
When I first saw an 05', I thought, "What in the hell have they done to the good ol' Yota truck??" Even though it did not measure out to be that much larger, it looked much bigger. In it looking bigger, I thought, great, not as good gas milage as the older ones. I also had mixed feelings on the new body style since a don't like the new 4-runner. The truck looked better than the new runner though.

So I can see where the uproar has come from.

So since I was in the market for new wheels, I looked for a good used 02-04 with low miles for a low-ish price. Well, in my area, there was only one 03 that was a double cab, not what I wanted, but I test drove it anyway. It felt great and looked nice enough but again, no room for sleeping quarters in the bed meant no sale.

Then I test drove a access cab 6 speed V6 4x4 SR5 05. The first thing I noticed was the killer interior. It had more room than the outside view would let on. Then I took it on a test drive. I was ba-lown away by the thing!!! Until that moment, I had really wanted a nice Audi A4 to go with my rusty 89 runner so that I could enjoy having some performance in a car for once in my life.

The truck felt much more powerful than the A4. I was sold.
So I have had my silver 4x4 V6 access cab, TRD off road w/ BFG AT KO's for 3 weeks now. Last week, I did a 2,000 mile round trip to So Cal and back. It was fantastic, incredible handling and power!!

So while this truck will take a bit of getting used to in terms of trail use, it is a flat out stunner in all other aspects. I can honestly say that even if I got a slightly older truck, I would still not be subjecting it to what I did to my old runner. That thing has a short wheel base and looks like it could take some lumps and bumps as it is a bit of a beater. I would not want to do that to a new truck that I am going to keep for years and pick up clients in.

In terms of trail use, I will take it one step at a time on the new truck. I think the new tacos will do pretty darn good on the trail in the right hands. The difference is when you hit the highway in the new one, it is far more comfortable and it feels like a race car!!

qk94dawg
04-06-2005, 02:15 AM
When I first saw an 05', I thought, "What in the hell have they done to the good ol' Yota truck??" Even though it did not measure out to be that much larger, it looked much bigger. In it looking bigger, I thought, great, not as good gas milage as the older ones. I also had mixed feelings on the new body style since a don't like the new 4-runner. The truck looked better than the new runner though.

So I can see where the uproar has come from.

So since I was in the market for new wheels, I looked for a good used 02-04 with low miles for a low-ish price. Well, in my area, there was only one 03 that was a double cab, not what I wanted, but I test drove it anyway. It felt great and looked nice enough but again, no room for sleeping quarters in the bed meant no sale.

Then I test drove a access cab 6 speed V6 4x4 SR5 05. The first thing I noticed was the killer interior. It had more room than the outside view would let on. Then I took it on a test drive. I was ba-lown away by the thing!!! Until that moment, I had really wanted a nice Audi A4 to go with my rusty 89 runner so that I could enjoy having some performance in a car for once in my life.

The truck felt much more powerful than the A4. I was sold.
So I have had my silver 4x4 V6 access cab, TRD off road w/ BFG AT KO's for 3 weeks now. Last week, I did a 2,000 mile round trip to So Cal and back. It was fantastic, incredible handling and power!!

So while this truck will take a bit of getting used to in terms of trail use, it is a flat out stunner in all other aspects. I can honestly say that even if I got a slightly older truck, I would still not be subjecting it to what I did to my old runner. That thing has a short wheel base and looks like it could take some lumps and bumps as it is a bit of a beater. I would not want to do that to a new truck that I am going to keep for years and pick up clients in.

In terms of trail use, I will take it one step at a time on the new truck. I think the new tacos will do pretty darn good on the trail in the right hands. The difference is when you hit the highway in the new one, it is far more comfortable and it feels like a race car!!

Ok, so I'm not alone here. :cool: :D

rojodiablo
04-06-2005, 03:04 AM
Its bigger, longer wheel base(i think), lower ground clearance, no SFA, plastic bed. Also I think it looks ugly as a dried up piece of pig shit. But thats just me, your entitled to your own opinion.
I'll hold my tongue on how they will work, because Toyota has a good reliability reputation, BUT....They are a little on the really friggin' "I copied Chevy, LOOK AT ME!" side. Toyota should know better. Maybe, they should simulate a passanger pushing the truck to a repair shop. That would be more Ford/Chevy like. Not many folks like the bondo bed idea. I will stop there. The truck looks good from any side you can't see the Tacolorado fenders from. The truck is powerful, and hauls ass. This may save it, or maybe some aftermarket fenders will show Toyota how they used to be original. Remember... we want a Japanese truck, made in America. Not an American truck, made in Canada and Mexico. Confusing enough???

jon_7248
04-06-2005, 03:06 AM
They Ugly!!!

Tacominator
04-06-2005, 03:11 AM
OK, I am biased, I already have one. But... Bigger?

That's a bunch bigger!! That's like running full width axles practically and having the body almost match it! Also, I hate all these new trucks (expecially dodge) with the overly huge body height. Obviously, if the 05 is taller, with less ground clearance, Toyota has done it too. Size is my biggest gripe. I think the looks are OK, but could have been better. If I were going to buy an 05, it would be that xrunner. Handles better than a 350z, that's pretty cool.

JBL13
04-06-2005, 06:50 AM
I'll hold my tongue on how they will work, because Toyota has a good reliability reputation, BUT....They are a little on the really friggin' "I copied Chevy, LOOK AT ME!" side. Toyota should know better.

I don't know for sure, but it's possible the new Taco was already in the prototype stage before spy shots of the new Chevy were out. Besides, why would Toyota copy a truck that is probably a non-competitor when it comes to sales volume? Heck, if anyone copied someone else, maybe GM copied Toyota, and GM was first to market because they didn't spend enough time in development. (OK, I admit I haven't seen sales stats on either new truck, but it seems the new Taco has really take off, and I'd be curious to see the numbers.)

qk94dawg
04-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Hahah, ugly, LMAO, ya, sure it is. :D

Gargoyle
04-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Depends on the truck, that is the d-cab vs. a-cab is only 4.5" wider. The ground clearance on the 2004 is 8.5" (w/o off-road?) and my 2005 off-road is 9.4" (the shortest is 8.1"). So even if it is less, we are talking 0.4"! And don't tell me that is a major concern--how many of you serious guys run STOCK suspension on your rigs?

white_eskimo
04-06-2005, 10:08 PM
i got an 05 taco and i think it looks really badass. especially now that i have a TTORA winshield decal on it.

jdd123
04-07-2005, 07:42 AM
The comments about the composit bed cracking is bunk. I bought my truck because of that bed and to haul dirt bikes. The composit bed does not scratch like paint and I use a rubber mat from my old 95. The bed can be a little slipery with snow at 0 degrees. If you dropped a heavy weight with a spike on the bottom, you could damage the bed, same as a metal bed. But, a topper cracking the bed is ludicrus. The weight of the shell would be on the sides, not the bed. With all the bike loading, my tailgate would look 10 years old and scratched up if it wasn't composit.

My truck has the sport package and the suspension is far superior to my previous truck. Once on a dirt road, too fast, the back end swerved and the truck started to tip with the bike on. The suspension absorbed the side surge and I was fine. It smothes the washboard bumps better.

I don't plan to "seriously" 4 wheel the truck for now since I am addicted to bikes. But this truck will if I change my mind. The ground clearance is close to my prevous stock 95 pick up. The hitch is exactily the same height as my 2000 Chevy and my 95. My 95 was a 4 cylinder and lots of fun. However, it could not pull my small camper well and this truck will. So I think the 05 is a good compromise between a small and a full size truck. If you really want to 4 wheel with a small vehicle, I was told a Jeep is the best. Actually, a bike is best because you don't have to mess up a perfectly good truck and can get into a lot of narrow places. Anyway, I love the 05 and bought it because of the bed, the high ground clearance, and towing capability. This truck is much better suited to me than the old truck.

volley
04-07-2005, 10:04 AM
I have to admit I love the look of the previous year Tacomas. The body, wheel wells, everything looks very cool IMO. However, I like the interior of my 05 tons better! I also like the smoother ride, more power, and more room on the inside.

A combination of the two would be a dream truck! Nonetheless I am stoked about my 05.

Tweeter
04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
If you put the interior of the new tacomas in the older bodies you might have something going. But they're too big to really do anything with. I wish good luck to whoever decides to mod it out.

05'DCTaco
04-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Im keeping the 05 stock and going to buy a pre 04' tacoma 4X4 to mod out... Our 05' is for daily driving and going to Home Depot And Lowes... It holds more toys i can pick up there than our camry :p Ok Ok I Lied I Might put a New Bumpers, Small Lift, New Tires after the 100,000 mile is up and by the looks of it will have 100,000 in a year or so...

Wgasa84
04-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Its not the new taco thats pissing me off its the 07 FJ.. IFS? wtf... I know all about supply and demand, but damnit, can't toyota make a SFA rig again!

Ted
04-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Its not the new taco thats pissing me off its the 07 FJ.. IFS? wtf... I know all about supply and demand, but damnit, can't toyota make a SFA rig again!

Toyota is making what the market wants. Look at some of the new Jeeps. IFS.

crawler#976
04-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I guess the whole debate is kinda amusing to me...

Size is not really an issue (except to women :D )

Driver skill and experiance is better than 99% of the equation.

In my SAS'd '87, I wheel with all sizes and types of rigs on some of the hardest trails off Table Mesa Rd. in AZ. It's all a matter of perspective. What's easy for me can be difficult for a full size, and the opposite is true too. I've owned and wheeled full sized trucks for years, and everything is a compromise at some point.

We own a TRD 2005 Double Cab because it is slightly larger than the previous years models. It's more comfortable to travel and explore in, and it's still very capable off-highway. Obviously it won't go where the trail rig does, nor would I expect it to. But, it WILL go 90% of the places I want to with relative ease. With the minimal mods we've done to it, (Stubbs sliders, 265/75R-16 MT/R's, re-locating the low slung exhaust and adding a 2-1/2" cat back exhaust w/ a 70 series FlowMaster) the truck does very well on the Forest Service back roads and trails we run up here.

later

Tacominator
04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Depends on the truck, that is the d-cab vs. a-cab is only 4.5" wider. The ground clearance on the 2004 is 8.5" (w/o off-road?) and my 2005 off-road is 9.4" (the shortest is 8.1"). So even if it is less, we are talking 0.4"!

Um, I could be wrong here, but 9.4 - 8.5 = 1.3... Still isn't much, but the new taco seems to have people doing math wrong:rolleyes:

TacoCrazy
04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Um, I could be wrong here, but 9.4 - 8.5 = 1.3... Still isn't much, but the new taco seems to have people doing math wrong:rolleyes:
Ooh yeah?? 9.4-8.5= .9 See, it's even got you doing the math wrong. :D

Dieseler
04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Ooh yeah?? 9.4-8.5= .9 See, it's even got you doing the math wrong. :D

Buhahahha... OK, thats the funniest thing I've seen today.

As far as the .4 difference. Read his post and he said the lowest point is 8.1" so 8.5"-8.1"=.4"

Tacominator
04-07-2005, 04:12 PM
I see what I did, I did 9.4-8.1=1.3 It's still wrong, but whateva, at least the MATH was right;)

Tacominator
04-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Another thing, animosity means bitter hostility and open hatred. I have seen none of that, this thread should have said "what do you think about the 05 tacos". If anyone has animosity twoards 05 owners, they can eat a dick and stuff...

Gargoyle
04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
It seems that my numbers were a little confusing. The 2004 ground clearance was listed as 8.5" but I think that measurement is the standard version and not the off-road package. As a comparison, the standard suspension 2005 has a 8.1" clearance. That is the 0.4" difference I noted.
My '05 is a TRD off-road and is listed with a 9.4" clearance. That is 0.9" BETTER than the '04, but again I think is apples and oranges (standard suspension vs. off-road). I may extrapolate that the '04 had a 9.8" suspension but I do not know for sure. Regardless, the argument about stock ground clearance is moot for many of the people who claim that as problem since I suspect that they have after-market lifts on their trucks. That being the case, the clearance of the '05 can not be used as a strong argument for the downfall of the design.
BTW, I believe that the lowest point on my truck is a poor design of the exhaust. The pipe passes behind the transfer case as it is routed from the driver's side manifold to the Y on the passenger side. At that point it passes below the drive line and is pancaked (restricted flow) to make better clearance. It is also very vulnerable behind a cross member and unprotected. I may be solving that with a new dual exhaust.

ARB1977
04-07-2005, 11:42 PM

This is something new so your going to need to give it time before the aftermarket can catch up. As far as a offroading rig yea its too big but for a family utility truck like the double cab its pretty freaking sweet. Someday i cant wait to get my hands on one and when that time comes im sure more aftermarket stuff will be availible. Thats why i dont buy new stuff as it comes out i wait a few years till bugs can be worked out. Patients my friend.

Tacoma2005
04-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Ok, now I'm confused. I realize ground clearance specs are just numbers, and that most people who are serious about offroading modify their suspensions anyway. On edmunds.com, a 2005 Tacoma regular cab 4x4 (which I own) has a ground clearance of 9.4" stock (w/o any TRD packages), while a 2004 Tacoma regular cab 4x4 has a ground clearance of 11.0" stock. These are figures taken from the same site. I've measured my '05, and 9.4" is the exact measurement for ground clearance both from the lowest section in the front, and the rear differential. I'm not sure where the previous ground clearance numbers were found.

e79
04-08-2005, 02:56 AM
new tacos suck. they look like stupid and are too big... previous generation taco was the perfect size for a small p/u truck.

TRD4WD
04-08-2005, 04:18 AM
new tacos suck. they look like stupid and are too big... previous generation taco was the perfect size for a small p/u truck.

Yea, I want one too.

Tacominator
04-08-2005, 05:12 AM

Ahh, see, that's animosity! Now for the why, I guess this guy says it: "They look like stupid." It's simple. Discussion closed!:D

hezy
04-08-2005, 06:11 AM
6 foot bed and better on gas. I like better on gas

KSdblcab
04-08-2005, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=qk94dawg]Just curious why I see so many threads with people bashing or angry about the '05 Taco's. Just curious, thats all, I really could give a rats ass. :) :D QUOTE]

Animosity? I think that is on the Nissan Frontier forum, but I don't believe current tacoma owners hate the '05. I don't like the looks either, but I'm not going to flip off every '05 I see to assert my angry hatred. Besides, it's taken me four years to warm up to the front styling of my '01. Since the '05s debuted, I have a new-found contentment (satisfaction) with my '01. So I'm glad you got an '05 :D

TWIN
04-08-2005, 08:10 AM
people are just mad because they can't afford a brand new, bigger, more powerful, more roomy truck so they make up really stupid reasons why they don't like them. Come on guys.. an f250 is too big.. a tacoma?? uhh no
The 05 owners have a hell of a nice truck. The only thing I didn't like about them when they first came out was the headlights, but now I think they look good.

tbrown
04-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Why do people even care about this? If you like them, buy one. If you don't like them don't buy one. Simple. It's a truck, just plastic and metal. Also I see no sence getting mad at Toyota. Toyota is just following market trends. If more people wanted smaller trucks than Toyota would build smaller trucks, but that's not what the market shows. Every new pickup truck is bigger. Compare a new F150 to an older model. The same goes for all the Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota models of truck. The fact is the North American public want bigger. If you want small trucks, get your buddies to stop buying bigger trucks. Until that happens get use to it. By nature wheelers are an adaptive bunch. If you don't like what is given to you build it. That's why you see solid axles on some Tacomas, and big lifts on others. My feeling is this, if you have the energy to get on this or any other board and rip into a vehical, you have the energy to pick up a book and start reading on how to make what you want.

scottnmos
04-08-2005, 10:30 AM
people are just mad because they can't afford a brand new, bigger, more powerful, more roomy truck so they make up really stupid reasons why they don't like them. Come on guys.. an f250 is too big.. a tacoma?? uhh no
The 05 owners have a hell of a nice truck. The only thing I didn't like about them when they first came out was the headlights, but now I think they look good.
Wow, dont you sound like a pompous ass. Most of the people here that have modified their tacomas have spent well over what a 05 taco will cost you, and are still getting more horsepower, and fitting down trails better than you are. Think and do a little research around here before you make comments like that. With an attitude like that you should be driving an H2. If you wanted a more roomy truck, you should just get a fullsize....

Tacominator
04-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Wow, dont you sound like a pompous ass.
No kidding, I would ask to have my left nut taken before I traded my truck for an 05. No joke, I have so much time in $$ in my truck, it's not even funny.

Lord_Stark_of_Winterfell
04-08-2005, 01:00 PM
I think it boils down to this:

If you happen to own a pre-2005 taco, you will prefer that version.

If you happen to own a 2005, you will prefer it over the old generation.

Quite simple, really.

qk94dawg
04-08-2005, 02:22 PM
I would think if you owned both you would have a good honest opinion.

Just my thoughts.

tbrown
04-08-2005, 03:43 PM
I would think if you owned both you would have a good honest opinion.

Just my thoughts.

I've owned both! Both great trucks, period.

TACO 4X4
04-08-2005, 04:21 PM

Trust me, not braggin', but I and lots others on here, would have no problems affording a new Tacoma...trust me that is not the reason I tend not to like them. It looks like all the other new stuff out there now. I don't even mind the squared fenders (had them in the mid 80's too). I know it's a nice truck and will hold it's own off road and people will build them up and make very capable rigs out of them. Just don't like the direction Toyota is taking thier off-road vehicles. Saying people don't like them 'casue they can't afford them...now that's stupid.

Mike
04-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Trust me, not braggin', but I and lots others on here, would have no problems affording a new Tacoma...trust me that is not the reason I tend not to like them. It looks like all the other new stuff out there now. I don't even mind the squared fenders (had them in the mid 80's too). I know it's a nice truck and will hold it's own off road and people will build them up and make very capable rigs out of them. Just don't like the direction Toyota is taking thier off-road vehicles. Saying people don't like them 'casue they can't afford them...now that's stupid.

I think people are upset because after 25 years Toyota stopped building their famous SMALL 4WD pickups.

Later,
....Mike

TaCoLiKkEr
04-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I think people are upset because after 25 years Toyota stopped building their famous SMALL 4WD pickups.

Later,
....Mike

It's bigger but it is not THAT much bigger. I don't want to go off road, I need to go off road, it is part of my career, I love all the older Tacos but......This one is incredible!! Fa-lat out!!!

If I would have bought a 2004, I would very, very happy. I tried out both and the 2005 blew my mind. It is more than a truck.

gary briggs
04-08-2005, 08:27 PM
i was in the market for a new truck last april, was gonna ride out the summer in my old truck but when i heard and saw the new body style i rushed out as fast as i could to get an 04, its odd, it seems everybody is going bigger, no more s10 now its the gay love canyon with a inline 5, the nissan and toy's are gettin bigger. i personally dont like the dxirection the market is heading, when im 50 the tacoma will be the size of an r.v.