: Auto tranny fluid

tacoma0309
04-06-2005, 04:50 AM
If you just drain the tranny via the drain plug only and refill, how much fluid does it take. I beleive that the manual states it is 2.1 qts, but I read somewhere on here once that it is 4 qts. Anyone know? Thanks

DCabTaco
04-06-2005, 06:52 AM
I did a search for "tranny flush" and got a unch of hits. The second one I open had your answer. It took about 2 minutes for all that. How long did it take you to post your question and how long has it been for someone to respond? I am not trying to be an ass here, but you yourself mention you "read somwhere on here once"!

tomstin
04-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Go buy 5 quarts, mine typically takes just over 4 for a drain and fill.

grillmasterp
04-06-2005, 08:33 AM
If you just drain the tranny via the drain plug only and refill, how much fluid does it take. I beleive that the manual states it is 2.1 qts, but I read somewhere on here once that it is 4 qts. Anyone know? Thanks

Best thing to do is measure how much comes out and replace with the same amount- then shift through the gears & check the level

tacoma0309
04-06-2005, 08:40 AM
I did a search for "tranny flush" and got a unch of hits. The second one I open had your answer. It took about 2 minutes for all that. How long did it take you to post your question and how long has it been for someone to respond? I am not trying to be an ass here, but you yourself mention you "read somwhere on here once"!

I did a search on fluid replacement and didn't find what I need. I didn't have time to continue so I made a post so when I get back I could check it. And yes you are being an ass because you took the time to write about it so you can just kiss it!! :p

tacoma0309
04-06-2005, 08:41 AM
thanks to all the other guys who replied friendly!! :)

Crash
04-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Drain and refill should only take about 5 quarts.

Bryanccfshr
04-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I would have 5 quarts on hand. You may need more or less.

Toyotajoe
04-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Last time I changed mine out it took 4 quarts exactly...

tercel89
04-06-2005, 05:42 PM
it would have even taken you less time if you had just gave him the link nicely without the smart remark .

Mike-in-WV
04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
it would have even taken you less time if you had just gave him the link nicely without the smart remark .
Wow, I agree with you on this one Tercel89. Why is it some guy's just have to be ass's on here. If someone doesn't like the idea of another asking a question that's been asked once then don't respond at all. That's simple! :mad:
Tacoma 0309, You are right about what the book said but I believe that it's a misprint and so do others. I just changed mine on my 01 Tacoma 4x4 auto and it took 4 quorts even . 3.5 showed it full on the cold mark but then I drove it about 50 miles and stoped and checked it and it took .5 to fill it to the hot mark.Sure made my tranny shift better! Mike

ata3001
04-06-2005, 06:10 PM
I have an 04 reg cab 4x4 w/2.7 auto. I pulled the plug on mine last Oct. to do a drain & refill. I measured what drained out & replaced it with exactly that amount. Mine measured 4 qts, + 24 additional ounces. Four days later I was in the hospital having triple by-pass heart surgery. I haven't been able to do anything more (physically) on my truck since. It takes quite a long time for the chest plate to heal to be able to do anything strenuous. Tighten your transmission oil pan bolt to 16-18 INCH pounds. It will not leak. Be carefull as its very easy to strip out the threads on the pan by over tightening the bolt. I do this proceedure once a year, every year to my tacoma & wifes 04 Celica GT. Its cheap insurance in my book.

ciollika
04-07-2005, 01:48 AM
i'm not a big fan of drain-n-fills. i've done many of them and imho it's a much better idea to get the whole thing flushed if you can afford it. if not disregard this post. but in pan tdf's (transmission drain and 'fills as we call them at work) do not get the atf in the torque converter. in some cases as much as 50-60% of the spent fluid remains in the torque converter. if it were me i would want ALL of the old fluid gone and ALL new fluid added. look around and price shop if you do decide to go this route. just my $.02. hope it helped

tacoma0309
04-07-2005, 08:41 AM
I thought about getting a flush but it is so expensive for this early in it's life. If you look on your dipstick, it says that under normal conditions you don't need to change the fluid at all. I think I will drain and fill every 10,000 or so and maybe every 50K get a complete flush just to play it safe. Thanks for all the replies!!!

ciollika
04-07-2005, 02:20 PM
i belive the manufacture rec. for severe service interval is every 30k. sooo... if you did a drain and fill every 10 and a flush at 50, then it is approx $50 for tranny fluid for drain and fills +$100 for the flush at 50 for a total of $150, wheras two flushes over 60k miles is 200 bucks... better service, more milage, only $50 more. hope this helps.

tacoma0309
04-07-2005, 02:41 PM
You have a good point!! Where do you get yours flushed at?

ciollika
04-07-2005, 04:49 PM
i am an assistant manager at a few jiffy lubes in washington, and we charge 100 bucks for an 18 quart flush. so i do it myself for... free! haha. but yeah look around, i know jiffy lube will be somewhat flexible on their prices, specials, promotions or whatnot. thats what we do anyway. just make sure if you are going to spend the money, get it done right. some places charge like 80 bucks for a pan drop.. unnecessary in your case, since there is no filter. a flush is the way to go. fyi, dealers charge WAY more, so go to a private establishment.

tacoma0309
04-07-2005, 04:54 PM
But the thing is that the new toyota trannys need the T-4 fluid. Out of curiousity my brother talked to a quick lube guy and the guy said that it doesn't need the T-4 fluid. What's up with that?

ciollika
04-07-2005, 05:00 PM
i can't speak for all quik lubes by any means, but if we cant use the correct fluid or use a fluid modifier or converter, we won't do the service, and refer you to the dealer.