: Help! Brakes

JRFlo
04-06-2005, 08:33 AM
The brakes are starting to sqeal so its time to replace the pads and turn the rotors. Although the pasanger side front wheel will not come off of the hub/rotor. I've tried some gentle tapping with a mallet, and thats not helping. Just recently moved to MA from OH, so i don't think the salt had to much to do with it. If you have any suggestions please let me know

thanks

phixer
04-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Bigger hammer :), not really kidding though. To get my rotors off I used a 2 pond hand maul and chunk of wood to protect the rotor. It took one hell of a whack but the popped right off. When they mic out the rotors make sure they check the entire surface towards the center. (they tend to wear more closer to the hub)

Toyotajoe
04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
A couple of swift kicks should do it - just make sure the truck is supported nice and sturdy on a couple of stands/pieces of wood. I usually have the smae problem every spring. A couple of dabs of an anti-seize compound does wonders to prevent this.

knoxtaco
04-06-2005, 02:11 PM
get a big rubber mallet or a bigger hammer and a piece of wood to protect the wheel. You could also lay down and give it a couple of good kicks just make sure the truck is supported good. Once you get everythig apart use a little antisieze on the hub where the rotor and the wheel come together it makes it a whole lot easier the next time.

JRFlo
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks guy I'll give that a try.