: Future Mod thread

Bear
09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
here is a thread to discuss your future modifications to your rig. either list up all your plans for your rig or discuss possible dreams you have for it! and no "Knight rider" ideas either Joe!:D

If you are still "on the fence" about something ask all your questions and then decide after the discussion is complete.

Bear
09-18-2007, 11:48 AM
To get things started.

I am planning:

4 link rear end with relocated gas tank and muffler
new seats from Hunsaker,
New fuel injectors for Super charger

Possible ideas:
rear fiberglass enclosure for stereo system in extended cab portion of cab.
possibly headers for engine.

If and when I ever buy a tow rig, I might do a flat bed

Full_Tilt_Fud
09-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I have always thought I wanted to solid axle my truck...........but the more I wheel it the more I realize that the IFS don't hold it back as much as people make it seem......plus in order to do it the way I want and keep it as low as I want it is gonna require alot of fab work and alot of money ( I don't want it all that much taller than it is now sitting on 37's)

So At this point I believe I am gonna finish building my IFS and wheel the crap out of it.......it works well for moderate trails.

For harder trails........I would like to build a Toyota based buggy........light........blown 3.4 for good power to weight ratio........built toy axles and 40's........I am thinking I will base it off my 4runner since I can't get rid of it

Of course this all will probly change tomorrow LOL

Bear
09-18-2007, 12:11 PM
37" with not much more lift? yea! I would say you would have some severe modifying to do!

But the truggy idea is doable, not sure if I would run 40's on toyota axles. I know toy axles are strong, but not much more than Dana 44's and I would never run 40's with my front axle, much less my rear Toy axle.

If you want good power to weight ration, consider a crawl box. might be better for you in the long run instead of the supercharger.

amp2oo1
09-18-2007, 12:12 PM
-lift (going on this weekend)
-winch bumper +winch
-skids
-some new, bigger meats when the ATs wear down or I get antsy
-CB
-OBA +locker

I like what brinner did with his rear bumper, chopping off the lower bit. I'd like to do something to the rear someday down the road when I get a commuter car. I was actually bored last night and did a quick ms paint bed bob. what do you think?

before-
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/amp2oo1/cliffs137.jpg

after-
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/amp2oo1/bedbob.jpg

Me thinks I wouldn't be dragging ass all the time if something like that were to ever take place:D

Bear
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
you forgot the mud flap removal mod! :D

when you say skids, do you mean sliders as well? I generally always recommend lift, sliders/protection and then onto the more fun stuff. But with out the tube protection, your truck will start showing the signs of the trail a lot sooner than later.

My dents on my truck didn't come until after I moved up here. so that means for the first 6 or so years my truck was dent free and looked good!

anyway, not sure if I am crazy about hacking the bed (bobbing) off a late model as yours is! must ponder that one for a while!

amp2oo1
09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
sliders are on (had them at the Badlands). This is just an old picture.

Bear
09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
sorry, I forgot you had them already!my bad!

Bear
09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I just remembered I had this list of things I want to do to the truck:

relocate rear axle/4 link
got this project started, got the fuel cell installed
replace fuel injectors with 305cc

install headers

install bead locks

install new rear bumper

replace seats

build fiberglass enclosure for rear seat

repair O2 sensor wiring

repair clock & cigarette lighter wiring.

install air horn

replace steering wheel

install wireless remote for winch
bought wireless, just need to install
replace CO2 tank in bed

re-plumb and add tank to On board air system

replace front springs

replace vinyl graphics (possibly repaint truck)

Full_Tilt_Fud
09-18-2007, 12:58 PM
37" with not much more lift? yea! I would say you would have some severe modifying to do!

But the truggy idea is doable, not sure if I would run 40's on toyota axles. I know toy axles are strong, but not much more than Dana 44's and I would never run 40's with my front axle, much less my rear Toy axle.

If you want good power to weight ration, consider a crawl box. might be better for you in the long run instead of the supercharger.

I know I can clear 37's with 6" lift no problem (I am not afraid of the sawzall).........If I do do a solid axle it will be full width front and rear (60 / 9 combo up front.......35 spline 9 out back)........if I can get away with less lift I will do it.

There are peolpe running built toy axles and 40's on lightweight buggy's all over........hell Kyle (atlroach) runs 40's on built toy axles under his 4runner with no issues..........if I do it i would want an fj80 rear and a highpinion third with a custom drivers side diff diamond front housing.........that way I can use the 3.4, auto, inchworm crawl box and the stronger Tacoma t-case (which is drivers drop).

The reason for the blower is cause I don't just wheel in the rocks.........for muddy hills and the sand you need some good old fashion horsepower.........plus it would just be fun :)

right now it is all just a pipe dream since I am completely broke but you have to have goals right?:D

Full_Tilt_Fud
09-18-2007, 01:01 PM
amp2001............that thing looks sweet with the bed bob photochop.........I 90% sure mine will be getting a similar treatment this winter.

Bear
09-18-2007, 01:04 PM
I thought Kyle was runnng 60/14 bolt set up.

With my 37"s I got all kinds of room but that is also because I sit a bit taller than most. But I still reach up and grab the fenders and sliders with them everytime I go out. I am getting ready to trim my rear fenders also, but I am waiting until I get the axle relocated so that I don't take more than I need out!

I can see where a blower would be fun…oh wait a second… I do know how much fun a blower is, I just remembered I already have one! :D

Like my mom used to always tell me, Dreams are cheap! Reality is expensive!

Bear
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I guess I am just not a big fan of bobbed beds. I know they are practical for wheel'n, but I also enjoy my bed for actually using the truck as a truck.

But to each their own, I am not going to tell anyone not to do something to their own rig! Well maybe, but not something as functional as a bobbed bed!

Full_Tilt_Fud
09-18-2007, 01:20 PM
nope.........he has an 80 series rear and a built minitruck front........I seen his rig this spring in tellico........that thing is badass

Bear
09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't know where I got the idea he had the 60/14 combo then.:confused:

ron86toy
09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I am buying a Jeep......screw this Toyota B.S.

If this ever happens.....I will pay for fuel.....someone drive up here and shove that Jeep up my a$$

Bear
09-18-2007, 02:17 PM
no, no, this is not a roll call thread! :D but believe me I am sure there are a few that would take you up on that offer! But i am first in line.

ron86toy
09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
no, no, this is not a roll call thread! :D but believe me I am sure there are a few that would take you up on that offer! But i am first in line.

:flipoff1: I actually have a Jeep for sale....I have had it for 15 yrs.(my first4x4).I have been just using it for hunting season the past 10 yrs.....glass body,v8 3speed on 35 MTR's

Bear
09-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Well I can't be too hard on jeep owners, my buddy here in town, is in the middle of building his 78 cj up. the front is actually sitting up on the dana 60 axle with 40" pit bulls hanging off of it.

It is going to make my truck look tiny!

jason6746
09-19-2007, 05:36 AM
sliders are getting ordered this weekend and down the road, locker then front bumper, winch and lift.

Bear
09-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds like a plan, but there is no mention of the truggy project:D I figure we will just build your truck into the ultimate truggy…rockwells, Marlin's triple crawler, full cage, you know the works!:lmao:

brinner
09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
gee, where to start:

sliders
staun internal beadlocks
chromoly shafts (F/R)
geared t-case
redo belly skid

gettin the sliders will be the priority, i just have to find time to cut the square tube.

Full_Tilt_Fud
09-19-2007, 01:10 PM
why the chromo shafts??

unless you are talking about after you swap in different axles.........with IFS you want to grenade the cv if you are gonna blow something......they are cheap and easy to fix........with the rear you are gonna blow the R+P way before you have to worry about a shaft.

Now if you swap in 60's well I can see why you would go with the chromo's

Bear
09-19-2007, 01:18 PM
gee, where to start:

gettin the sliders will be the priority, i just have to find time to cut the square tube.

GIT'R DONE!:D

off topic, well not really, do you have the tube for the sliders yet? If so and you want to bring it down this weekend, I am going to have Dave's welder for my gas tank project. I am sure we can work on both projects and make some big progress on your sliders. We just have to keep in mind that without a gas tank, I don't drive my truck to work on Monday

Bear
09-19-2007, 01:21 PM
why the chromo shafts??

unless you are talking about after you swap in different axles.........with IFS you want to grenade the cv if you are gonna blow something......they are cheap and easy to fix........with the rear you are gonna blow the R+P way before you have to worry about a shaft.

I agree with this logic. you want your easiest and cheapest parts to be the weakest link in your drivetrain. Hell I think it is great news when I get out of my truck to find a hub blown! mine have life times on them so they are free to replace.

but when I blew my front gears, I was a little sick over that one! Cost me over $3 bills to repair and almost gernaded my front locker which would have really pissed me off at over $750 at the time!

keynote22
09-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Install car seat, mount my sliders. Wire up my rear lights. Add belly skids.(im leaning towards the ones hoss has) then buy a dedicated sammy for trails I dont want to take the taco on. Oh ya, I supposed I should fix my trailer harness I tore off at some point.

Bear
09-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Are you getting a Simpson seat?:D

I always wanted to get one of those, they have the 5 point harness and everything! pretty cool!

I thought about getting a sami, but never did. ended up with an FJ and now my son is taking that one over! maybe some day I will have a truggy/crawler I can call my own and tear up on the trails!

phishtaco
09-20-2007, 08:43 AM
On the FZJ80....
Sell it, buy a 08 Taco Dcab or 08 FJ Cruiser or 04-06 Tundra Dcab or 01-04 Dcab Taco Then lift and drive to mall

On the FJ40....
mmmmmOrion Tcase, H41 Tranny, flip springs for wheelbase, rear bumper/tire carrier, fix my selenoids on 8274, Metaltech family cage and tube fenders,FJ62 axles, front locker
Anybody have $6k I can borrow

Bear
09-20-2007, 08:57 AM
I heard a long time ago, not to go the "FJ80" route. hell I didn't even know you had one! I would definitely bee looking at a tundra if I was you, but I just noticed you said >06. I want an 08 max cab, but then again my kids are taller than I am now so I need the extra room in the back seat more than you do.

I thought you were going to flip the 40's springs last year, you moving at grand pa pace again?:D Take a look at the cage in my build up photos, I am debating on selling it and constructing a new one. If so I might have that up for sell if you are interested. but it might not suit your needs, it has a bar across the tail gate as well as a bar behind the seats!

Definitely get the tube fenders for it! I saw those and decided that is definitely a mod I am doing to our FJ! those are awesome! but I am thinking instead of skinning them with the metal…getting some 1/4"-1/2" plexyglass! But then again I have these stupid brain farts from time to time so that may not be a good idea, still debating it amongst all the voices in my head.:D

brinner
09-20-2007, 10:11 AM
why the chromo shafts??

really? cause it was suggested that i would break shafts before i tore up the r&p. (that basically the Toy 8" is stout enough)

phishtaco
09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
i can think of lots of things to do with the 40, but I have no money and no time.

I love my 80, but its got 182K on it and loves the gas.

The new Tudra is just to big for me. My dad has the extra cab and it is a sweet ride for sure.

Bear
09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
I think that is what Todd is getting at, If it was me, I would rather tear up a shaft before I tore up the R&P. easier to fix as well as cheaper.

If you go with Chromo shafts, I would consider Cryoing your gears at the same time. That would move the weak link beyond the gears onto the ujoints and driveshaft.

It may just be me, already breaking a set of ring and pinion gears, but I am very protective over the gears opposed to the shafts.

On the last badlands run, when I broke that axle shaft, did you see me get upset? now if that would have been my pinion again or basically anything in the third member, I would not have been fit to be around.

Full_Tilt_Fud
10-01-2007, 01:52 PM
really? cause it was suggested that i would break shafts before i tore up the r&p. (that basically the Toy 8" is stout enough)

Ok........sorry for the delay.........I just seen this.

You have an elocker........yes / no?

either way unless you take your gearset out.......reset it with a solid pinion spacer to do away with crush sleeve the ring and pinion be the weak link......hell even if you add the solid pinion spacer I would still put my money on the R+P going before a shaft....especially with the extra weight your 05 carries and the extra power of the 4.0.....Toyota axle shafts are comparable to a ford nine or even a 60 in size.......they are strong.

Full_Tilt_Fud
10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Oh and after seeing some bad luck from others and haveing a real close call of my own this weekend..........a good roll cage has jumped to the top of my mods list.

It is time

Bear
10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh great! now what did you do? If you are serious about a roll cage, let me know. That way I might be able to steer you in the right direction, by giving you my first hand experiences with mine. the good and the bad of mine so to speak. There are also some little tricks we learned about doing a cage in an enclosed cab that might help you.

Full_Tilt_Fud
10-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I did not "do" anything.............I was smart enough to drive out of it LOL

no..........we went fishing on saturday and there was a big ditch from water run off and I decided to drive through it and play with my locker.........not the brightest thing I have ever done:rolleyes:

That and there have been a record number of rollovers at the dunes this year.........some of them happened in places I consider easy and run up and down without really even thinking about it

After my scare saturday, and seeing alot of freak accidents happen lately I just think it would be a wise investment.........that is all

Bear
10-01-2007, 03:30 PM
the roll overs at the dunes…what type of vehicles were most of them? remember your long wheel base is going to help you more in those types of situations.

My reasons for the roll cage were totally different. I knew I was SAS'n the truck and making it taller (just didn't expect this high) and I just bought a supercharger. that combonation got me thinking. Then when another friend of mine SAS'd his taco and three weeks later rolled it one night driving home. I made my mind up! (to this day he still has no idea how he rolled…I think he just fell asleep and hit some ice but anyway)

Long story short;tall truck+new suspension+speed/quicker truck+family that depends on me coming home=roll cage!

Full_Tilt_Fud
10-01-2007, 03:44 PM
yea my wheelbase will prevent *most* of the dune rools i have seen but not all.

My thinking is I am only gonna wheel this truck harder from here on in so I might as well do it and have it when......not if......but when I need it.

I have already rolled one truck and came away with zero injuries despite not haveing a cage.........I am not feeling good about pressing my luck on another one

Bear
10-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I also installed my cage as a "roll deterient" meaning if I did not have a cage I would definitely roll, if I installed a cage then I would prolong the enevidable roll!:D

but you know what they say about offroading, it isn't a matter of if you will roll but rather a matter of when! I have had quite a few close calls, but been lucky to be able to drive out or smart enough to stop the momentum and waited on a tow strap or winch line.

Hell I almost rolled last time out, got complicent trying to catch up to the group after having to repack the bed. came down an off camber turn that I have made, I don't know how many times. Just this time I was going a little too fast…luckly no one was around to see it:o

slander
10-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Going to put dual cases in my junk, just bought the adapters, and im trying to find a doner case. Slap some 4.7:1 gears in the front case and ill be golden! Ill be excited, once im done with the crawl box, this will be the last big$$$ project for this thing. Ill just wheel the hell out of it!

Full_Tilt_Fud
10-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I also installed my cage as a "roll deterient" meaning if I did not have a cage I would definitely roll, if I installed a cage then I would prolong the enevidable roll!:D

but you know what they say about offroading, it isn't a matter of if you will roll but rather a matter of when! I have had quite a few close calls, but been lucky to be able to drive out or smart enough to stop the momentum and waited on a tow strap or winch line.

Hell I almost rolled last time out, got complicent trying to catch up to the group after having to repack the bed. came down an off camber turn that I have made, I don't know how many times. Just this time I was going a little too fast…luckly no one was around to see it:o

my little encounter this weekend was just a freak accident.........I drove down into the gully with the RF tire..........It was deep enough that the LR tire came off the ground.........no big deal.......it is IFS......that is gonna happen LOL........but then as I went a little farther forward the gound turned really soft and the RF dropped outa sight which i was not expecting......luckily I was able to turn right and hammer down and drive through it otherwise it would have flopped for sure.

Bear
10-04-2007, 10:51 PM
So how did the lift turn out? any glitches? probably not, I am assuming.

any photos?

amp2oo1
10-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Check one thing of my list, got the lift finally on yesterday -

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82383

:D

Full_Tilt_Fud
10-07-2007, 02:35 PM
It will be interesting to see what the salt does to those uniballs in those control arms.

I have been thinking about a set but that has me concerned.........that and my sway bar removed I don't really think they will do anything for me performance wise.

brinner
10-10-2007, 09:03 AM
looks good, let know how it works out.

tacomalo
12-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Hey Bear how are those sliders holding up? Any plans to upgrade those?

Bear
12-31-2007, 01:25 PM
So what are you doing on our board? great to hear from you!!!!!!!

regarding those sliders....they are about two inches shorter than what you built originally (37's would not clear them) and the passenger side is slanted down from the front tire back. I must have come off a ledge a little too hard and it bent the front mounting leg, but the bars are perfectly straight.:D

No plans to upgrade them anytime soon...too many other plans for the truck and why fix something that ain't broke? The builder of my sliders either got lucky or knew what he was doing :xpimp: Oh yea! you built them so it must of been luck! :flipoff1:

How are things down south? when is the next trip planned for up here? Hope Xmas treated you good and you and yours have a good new year!

tacomalo
01-01-2008, 11:31 PM
It must have been luck! Actually if those sliders were any heavier you'd need a CDL to drive your truck:D

Bear
01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
It must have been luck! Actually if those sliders were any heavier you'd need a CDL to drive your truck:D

It has actually gotten alot heavier than even what you added! The sliders are not the heaviest items any longer!

I added a fuel cell (under the bed) in preperation for the rear link suspension...Since I had to go aft the rear axle, I wanted to make sure it was protected as to not turn the truck into a 1997 version of the old Ford Pintos (exploded when rear ended) I engineered a bracket/cage from hell!

Long story short I added over 225lbs with it after everything was said and done (cell full of gas). But that just balanced out the weight I already had on the front!

I added a Bent Up plated front bumper when I moved up here, that I "customized". I cut holes in the front face for driving lights and added a stinger bar to it. Once I finished it, I added 110 lbs to the front. But then had to add even more weight to the front bumper by modifying it further to house my mile marker winch that weighs in at 90lbs (before I swapped out the cable for synthetic line). and that is not including the tranny cooler tucked into the backside of the bumper for the hydro assist.

I also finished the roll cage by anchoring it to the frame so that probably added another 20lbs at the least. and you know about how I over built all my sas brackets.

I should take it sometime and weigh it, if for nothing else for the sheer humor in it. I am guessing but I think I could be easily pushing 4800 lbs. Thank God for 5.29 gears and a supercharger! Otherwise it probably would not have enough umph to push itself up the driveway, but with the above gears I can still spin the tires if I wanted.

So are you missing your DC yet? I know it is still in the family, but it isn't the same if you don't drive it anymore!

Bear
01-01-2008, 11:54 PM
and yes! I still type novels for posts! :flipoff3:

and most are tired of me talking about TEJAS as well!;)

Full_Tilt_Fud
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I bet it weighs more than that..........mine is well over 4k

Bear
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
being conservitive.:D