TTORA Forum banner

fj40 lift kit

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Dick Foster 
#1 ·
,I have a SAS tacoma, and I am really looking into getting a fj40... I know a lot about tacomas, but I know nothing about fj40s. What kind of lift kits are available... I wouldn't want more than a few inches because I'd do a spring over... I hate shitty lift kits like rancho and skyjacker... who makes a quality spring for the fj40s. Are there any springs that are people use on the fj40, but were manufactured for a different application (for example, people use a rancho 44044 front leaf spring for a SAS tacoma even though it's application is a jeep waggy) I can't really decide what condition i want the fj40 in... not a total shit box, but probably not a completely full restore. My budget is around $10,000. Is there an ideal year(s) that I should consider? Thanks, i'm a newbie when it comes to fjs.

#3 ·
supahonkey said:
,I have a SAS tacoma, and I am really looking into getting a fj40... I know a lot about tacomas, but I know nothing about fj40s. What kind of lift kits are available... I wouldn't want more than a few inches because I'd do a spring over... I hate shitty lift kits like rancho and skyjacker... who makes a quality spring for the fj40s. Are there any springs that are people use on the fj40, but were manufactured for a different application (for example, people use a rancho 44044 front leaf spring for a SAS tacoma even though it's application is a jeep waggy) I can't really decide what condition i want the fj40 in... not a total shit box, but probably not a completely full restore. My budget is around $10,000. Is there an ideal year(s) that I should consider? Thanks, i'm a newbie when it comes to fjs.
78 and up are considered the best years, with 78 being the best in my opinion. Up until 78 they had 4.10 gears, in 79 they went to 3.73 gear for the highway. They recieved disk brakes in 76 as well. For lifts, either spring it over first, or get a BDS lift kit, Coolcruisers sells them, they area an excellant system. With a 4 inch lift and maybe a little trimming in the rear, although not entirely necessary, you can clear 35's. With a springover you can fit 37's and 38's pretty easily. jUst make sure the one you get has a good frame cause that is were everything will work off of.

#4 ·
I will be chopping a shackle reversal/spring over kit off of my FJ somethime this summer. Let me know if you are intested in it and I'll see that we do the utmost of preserve as much of it as we can. It's welded on so you'll have to clean it up some becasue we'll have to plasma cut or torch it off.

#5 ·
Thanks. I'll look into an older than 76 cruiser. The gears won't matter, i'll end up regearing anyway. because I have a sas'd tacoma, i don't feel any need to make this thing crazy... I'll probably run either 33s or 35s. I'd definitely fab a custom cage, as I hate the look of the super simplistic (and probably almost unfunctional) cage. The local zoo has a nice fj40, and it just sits there as a prop... what the hell?!?!?!? Thanks for the offer dick, i'll message you in the next month. I really appreciate it. What is up with the ambulance style doors... did those come in certain years... i really like them, but i will have the top and doors off all summer, so do people just get a half rear door when they take the top off if they have ambulance style rear doors? Lastly, what's up with that chrome thing behind the driver's seat on the floor? Is that a heater or something? Thanks.

#6 ·
Yeah the ambulance doors came in 75, when you take them off you can put a panel in there, you can buy, but it is easy to build yourself. If the chrome thing is in the middle of the two seats, thats the heater.

#7 ·
So the ambulance doors only came in 75, or they were just introduced in 75? So the heater is back there??? That's different. What kind of engine is in the fjs, and were they always a 6 cylinder? When did they come with a 4 speed transmission, it seems as though a 3 speed would really suck, especially with 4.88s at interstate speeds. Was the 4 speed introduced when they lowered the axle ratios to 3.73? Thanks guys.

#8 ·
They had ambulance doors starting in 75 and all the following years. That heater is for people that sit in the back. Engine wise they had an F series engine till I think 75 then they had a 2F, which is the better one. 4 Speeds started in 74/75 and continued through the years. I had a three speed in my 72 with 31's with stock 4.10 gears and it would do interstate speeds no problem. Our 70 with a SBC with a 4 speed and stock gears does a lot better. To find out a lot, I mean a lot, more information got to www.Ih8mud.com best place to learn and find out lots of stuff.

#9 ·
I've got ambulance half doors on my 66. The passenger side has a tire carrier too. I took my hard top and doors off and tossed em. They needed lots of work, rubber paint etc. and they are heavy as hell. Just that much more toward a lower CG. I replaced the heavy stuff with a STB top that I will work to try and keep when the real cutting begins. It's a pretty decent top that can be converted to a safari in minutes as the sides and back can be zipped off. I got their two piece doors too. I think it's better than Bestop and STB a smaller American compay in Denver with a great attitude and good service while Bestop is owned by Magna that is French Canuck company, has an attitude and could care less about service.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've heard of someone else taking two ambulance style doors and cutting them in half. Ah, you found one at a junk yard?!?!? I live in Indiana where the weather fluctuates all the time, so I need a hard top. During the summer I'll just take it off (I have a fork lift at the shop, so it shouldn't be too bad) and leave it off. If the soft tops are anything like soft tops for a jeep, then it will suck in the winter without a hard top. I'm probably looking at getting one in the next month. Thanks for the link to ih8mud... that site is amazing... the tech section has the most information on one vehicle than i've ever seen (pirate is pretty good, but the information is scattered everywhere) Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.