: Brake Light On?

Owyhee
04-07-2005, 07:35 PM
My brake light is on almost all the time. Sometimes it goes out for a minute or two but them comes bake on. I adjusted the parking brake and that did not help. Any ideas? Do our trucks have dummy light that tells you you need new brakes?
Thanks.

rojo22
04-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Have you checked the fluid level? if not you might try that.
L8R

Sam Damage
04-07-2005, 07:48 PM
My brake light is on almost all the time. Sometimes it goes out for a minute or two but them comes bake on. I adjusted the parking brake and that did not help. Any ideas? Do our trucks have dummy light that tells you you need new brakes?
Thanks.

don't know if this will help you at all but when i was test driving my tacoma it's brake light would stay even though the parking brake was released ... the dealership fixed it as one of my conditions to buy it ... the mentioned it something about a spring needing to be tightened ... the problem has happened a few more times since then but i find that if i just squeeze the trigger and give it a turn and push in slightly it will turn off ... best of luck fixing your problem :)

mudferret
04-07-2005, 08:00 PM
don't know if this will help you at all but when i was test driving my tacoma it's brake light would stay even though the parking brake was released ... the dealership fixed it as one of my conditions to buy it ... the mentioned it something about a spring needing to be tightened ... the problem has happened a few more times since then but i find that if i just squeeze the trigger and give it a turn and push in slightly it will turn off ... best of luck fixing your problem :)
Sounds like your dealer was referring to the parking brake return spring, which is attached to a linkage, just aft of the cab. In all likely hood they just adjusted the tension on the parking brake cable.

Nice and easy to do, and is also a brake light culprit, along with low fluid level.

Sam Damage
04-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Sounds like your dealer was referring to the parking brake return spring, which is attached to a linkage, just aft of the cab. In all likely hood they just adjusted the tension on the parking brake cable.

Nice and easy to do, and is also a brake light culprit, along with low fluid level.

thanks for letting me know what they did :D ... my dealer was dumb and a stubborn prick. getting the truck from them was like pulling teeth ... not a good first dealership experience, now i fully understand the stigma that goes with being a used car salesman. :(

mudferret
04-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Even if they had to replace the spring, it's not really a big deal. Go peak under your truck and you'll understand.

grillmasterp
04-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166&highlight=parking+brake+light
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20013&postcount=15
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80818&postcount=1

mudwisr2
04-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Like someone else said, check the fluid level. Mine did the same thing and I just needed to add a little bit of fluid. The sensor is pretty sensitive.

NorcalPR
04-11-2005, 09:22 PM
When I test drove a lifted tacoma, the light wouldnt go off unless I pushed in the handle in all the way.

mudferret
04-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a case of ALTWPAOTPBL.