: Brake Light coming on.

3rdidvet
12-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Havea '97 Taco Xtra w/ 2.7 L 4 cyl. Keep getting a brake light when accelerating from a full-stop until the truck shifts (auto trans) . Any quick fix suggestions? Brake pads are all new, and the fluid level is appropriate. Thanks.

Chris

ElBandito
12-12-2004, 10:25 PM
fill your break fluid again... other than that i dont know

22RToy
12-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Mine did something similar, and the fluid was within the acceptable range, but I added more anyway. No more brake light.

tbplus10
12-13-2004, 02:48 AM
If the brake fluid doesnt fix it, look at the switch on the e-brake handle, some times they need to be adjusted.
Tim

tacoma0309
12-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Mine started that on my 99'. Toyota service said that it would come on if it was just a tad low.

zszac111
12-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Havea '97 Taco Xtra w/ 2.7 L 4 cyl. Keep getting a brake light when accelerating from a full-stop until the truck shifts (auto trans) . Any quick fix suggestions? Brake pads are all new, and the fluid level is appropriate. Thanks.

Chris

add more fluid...

3rdidvet
12-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Added more fluid and it seems to have rectified the problem. Who woulda' thought???

Thanks, everybody.

grillmasterp
12-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Added more fluid and it seems to have rectified the problem.
Who woulda' thought???

Pg 77 (1999 Owner's Manual)
(!) Brake System Warning Light
This light has the following functions:
-Parking Brake Reminder
-Low Brake Fluid level Warning ***

3rdidvet
01-11-2005, 02:56 AM
That's all well and good, but if the level is in between the lines, then the sensor should be too!

Lol

TacoPoPo
01-11-2005, 11:47 AM
The sloshing effect on acceleration will cause the fluid to drop below acceptable limits where the sensor is. Same thing with applying brakes. As the flud runs down the brake lines, it drops in the resevior.

akshunj
01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Since this subject seems to come up so often it's a sticky. Good responses from all of you.

Darktoy
01-12-2005, 01:51 AM
My brake light was also coming on and off and sometimes just on for a while until oneday I inspected the brake fluid canaster and found a slight tear/hole in the rubber top. I overfilled the brakefluid and pressed down on the rubber top and sure enough bubbles would come up through a little slit on the top. I replaced the top and the "brake light" has failed to return.

Yeti
01-23-2005, 06:04 PM
I replaced the top and the little red guy with a strap has yet to return.

The little red guy with a strap isnt the brake warning light... oh well

Darktoy
01-24-2005, 08:41 AM
The little red guy with a strap isnt the brake warning light... oh well

Woah, just noticed that myself and now I've corrected what I originally typed.

...my brake light has yet to return.

Arro
10-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Hmmm.

Nobody mentioned the more obvious reason for the E-Brake light to come on periodically. Certainly it's usually due to low fluid. But why?

This "problem" actually happens to a large number of automobiles from a variety of makes. Why?

Because as your pads get too low, the fluid in the reservoir and lines has more travel from more caliper movement (because of less pad), and at times will drop below the sensor line.

It's actually the easiest way to tell that your pads are getting very low, and you should replace them with fresh meat very soon. As the pads get more critical, the light will come on more frequently.

It so happens I'm going through it now. It comes on with some inclines and hard cornering/quick stops. From my experience with this Taco, I've got about a couple weeks of around-the-town daily driving left on them, provided I stop gently and not hammer down at every stop.

I'm changing my pads and turning the rotors tomorrow. The other problem with low pads is the brakes get hotter sometimes, and you can warp rotors real easy this way.

tbplus10
10-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Something I've noticed on my Tacoma more than any other vehicle is when the weather gets cold I start getting brake light flashes. I never checked the viscosity of brake fluid but I suspect under a certain temp it gets thicker, I usually notice this when the temp drops below 60deg which happened sudenly for us last week. One day I wasnt getting a light the next morning I got it on and off until the engine was warmed up. Also it doesnt help that the sensor on Tacoma's seems to be extra sensitive.

Beemer
10-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Hmmm.

Nobody mentioned the more obvious reason for the E-Brake light to come on periodically. Certainly it's usually due to low fluid. But why?

This "problem" actually happens to a large number of automobiles from a variety of makes. Why?

Because as your pads get too low, the fluid in the reservoir and lines has more travel from more caliper movement (because of less pad), and at times will drop below the sensor line.

It's actually the easiest way to tell that your pads are getting very low, and you should replace them with fresh meat very soon. As the pads get more critical, the light will come on more frequently.

Which then becomes a problem when getting serviced, the kid adds fluid to the reservoir to bring it up to the line and when you replace the pads, you now have brake fluid coming out of the reservoir. ;)
I service my own, so this isn't an issue, but for some it can be.

j :2cents: