TTORA Forum banner

Costa Rica advice?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Hector 
#1 ·
Hi all....

I may be a newbie here (I know, I know)...but by no means new to 4 wheeling, Toyota, or diesel Toyotas. I currently have a 2LT powered hilux (my second) and an '08 Taco.

Anyways, my fiancee and I are getting married in Costa Rica this winter and we want to drive around the country in a LC....the only thing I can find for rent is a short wheel base 78. Does anyone know if I can rent a LWB HZJ78 in Costa Rica? We are planning to do a little camping, but don't want to pitch a tent, hence the big wagon. It will be the end of the wet season, so I'm thinking it will be soppy.

Any advice at all about driving a 4WD in Costa Rica will really help. Preferably from those who have done it.

Thanks!
Ian

#3 ·
Hi all....

I may be a newbie here (I know, I know)...but by no means new to 4 wheeling, Toyota, or diesel Toyotas. I currently have a 2LT powered hilux (my second) and an '08 Taco.

Anyways, my fiancee and I are getting married in Costa Rica this winter and we want to drive around the country in a LC....the only thing I can find for rent is a short wheel base 78. Does anyone know if I can rent a LWB HZJ78 in Costa Rica? We are planning to do a little camping, but don't want to pitch a tent, hence the big wagon. It will be the end of the wet season, so I'm thinking it will be soppy.

Any advice at all about driving a 4WD in Costa Rica will really help. Preferably from those who have done it.

Thanks!
Ian
Congrats on the wedding and you'll have an amazing time in Costa Rica. I've been 3 times, my last trip I drove from San Diego to Panama and back with my girlfriend. There is a place renting LWB land cruisers, but I forget the name. Most any road you go on will be handled fine in a prado (which is more popular and cheaper) and should also sleep two people fine. Just follow locals through river crossings or walk them first if there is no one to follow. You will also find that as long as you don't stay in high end tourist spots, you can find places to lay your head for $25-50 US per night, which is nice if it is rain season. There are some basic answers to your questions, but if you really want answers from people that have driven those roads numerous times, then go to the following forum: www.expedtionportal.com
Good luck to you.

#4 ·
Also, if by winter you mean January or February, then those are some of the best months in Costa Rica for weather. The rain season is September through November and early December.

#5 ·
Yeah...we'll be there early January when the rainy season ends. I guess it's supposed to be really nice.

What we have in mind so far:
-first week we have no real agenda, but have been told to go se Volcan Arenal, so we plan to do that.
-Second week we have reservations in some cabins down on the Osa Peninsula. We plan to do day trips into the park and play on the beaches. I guess the accomodations are supposed to be nice.

From the research I've been doing, the Prado or the 4Runner will probably work fine for what we'll be doing. I'm just trying to get all the info I can for transportation options (and I've always wanted to drive a LWB HZJ).

Cell4soul...thanks for the tips, they're a great help. I actually found that link on my own recently. Research, Research, Research.

Ian

#6 ·
Arenal is worth while, and I definitely recommend staying at Tabacon Resort. It will be about $150 per night, but you get full use of their hot springs. They basically built man made rivers and pools from volcanic water that look like natural environment. It is one of the most beautiful spots in Costa Rica and well worth the money. At night you will be able to see the lava flowing from the volcano from your hotel room. Also you can do some great canyoneering and hiking from that location and probably one of the best canopy tours ( ZIP LINES ) in Costa Rica. If you get a chance, Puerto Viejo on the Carribean side is also very beautiful and a completely different feel than the Pacific side. It is a lot more of a Carribbean Island feel, Jamaica'ish is the best description I can give.

#9 ·
Tabacon x infinity!!! unbeleivable.
The oso peninsula is the nicest area of CR great waves if you surf, great fishing, great diving.
i was never too hip on Puerto Viejo except for the surfing, too many drugs and euro trash hippies:D

I recommend further that you stay out of Tamarindo and Jaco beach, both tourist traps that offer little of Costa rica. Of course both can offer amenities if you need to stop on your way through

I recomend that if you have time you go to Mal Pais/ Santa teresa at the tip of the nicoya peninsula it isa great place! From Arenal you could drive your way down the coast from Tamarindo and then take the ferry to Puntarenas and drive down to Oso.

i recommend the town of dominical on your way south, I also recommend Manuel antonio. If you hav e a4wd you should take the coastal road going south from dominical, it is a beatiful drive, and will get you down to oso.

If you are wondering, i used to live in Alajuela about 10 minutes from the airport and have traveled to CR 5 times other than that:D i allways rent a 4wd Daihatsu Terios but they are too small to sleep in, they do wheel very well though.

I havbe seen LC's for rent but have never looked into them after seeing the price tag:D

any more specific questions post up!
Mike

#10 ·
I rented this while in Costa Rica. Really, it was overkill for the type of terrain there. But it was nice knowing the suspension could hold up to any of the crappy roads they have there...

BTW-Osa or Ossa peninsula is by far the coolest place in Costa Rica. It is a ways away, but worth every effort to get there. We actually put it at the end of our trip and arranged for the rental car company to fly out and pick up the LC there (for only $100-125). We took a commuter flight back. Check out Toyota rent a car.

#12 ·
Congratulations!

You will have an awesome time CR! I have been there 3 times and the people and atmosphere are awesome.

Vehicles I have rented:
4Runner - Worked out very well and no issues
Hyundai Galloper - Horrible ride and parts started falling off
Land Cruiser Prado (2 door diesel) - Comfortable and very good mileage

The 4Runner and Prado were rented through Toyota in San Jose with no issues.

If you are going to the Arenal area be sure to check out Tabacon Hot Springs. Also might want to check out the Monteverde Cloud Forest. (Best canopy tour and really good coffee) We now order all our coffee through them.

I have been there in Feb, June and October and personally Feb was my least favorite just because it was more crowded and I missed not having the rain every afternoon. When we go we dont have an agenda so it was harder to find hotels and a little more $$.

If you want to get the real feel of CR be sure to visit/stay in some small villages and eat at little family run "Sodas" (Cafe's)

If you want any specific information just PM me and I will help out any way I can.

#14 ·
cr

Try toyota rentacar, good prices and selection. One trip I rented a HZJ71 short wheel based 6cyl diesel, even had fr & rr lockers, it was less expensive to rent than most. Another trip I rented a 4runner turbo diesel. I highly reccomend the peninsula de nicoya. If you make it to the caribean side try puerto viejo de limon, and if you get a chance take a boat to Bocas Del Toro, Panama. It is great there. Oh and it was way cheaper to call and reserve the car, than to book online.

Hi all....

Thanks!
Ian

#15 ·
Try toyota rentacar, good prices and selection. One trip I rented a HZJ71 short wheel based 6cyl diesel, even had fr & rr lockers, it was less expensive to rent than most. Another trip I rented a 4runner turbo diesel. I highly reccomend the peninsula de nicoya. If you make it to the caribean side try puerto viejo de limon, and if you get a chance take a boat to Bocas Del Toro, Panama. It is great there. Oh and it was way cheaper to call and reserve the car, than to book online.
Lodging is also less expensive down there if you just show up with cash. More willing to work with you on price.

X2 on the Nicoya peninsula. Have not been to the caribean side yet. Will tryto make it down there again in the next year or so and the caribean side is on the list of things to do.

#17 ·
Christmas and New Years week the prices for hotels and vacation rental properties are at least 3 times as high and normally booked near the beach. Semana Santa (Easter week) is really expensive and all of the Ticos come and wreck the beach. Any other time winging it would work in most places. DONT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR UNATTENDED.

#18 ·
You might log onto Ih8mud.com and pm sandcruiser, he lives there and i believe does vacation cruiser rentals as well. Congrats and enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.