: recommeded lift for bigger tires only. not going offroading

ck_taco
04-12-2005, 10:47 AM
i am looking for any advice on what kind of lift (type, brand, and how many inches) is recommended for someone who only wants to put bigger tires on their Tacoma, but not do any kind of off-roading. I have a 2001 TRD 4x4 Ext Cab, and all I want to do is provide clearance for bigger tires. I will be mounting the tires on the Ivan Stewart TRD rims, which are 16x8. The tires I am wanting are BF Goodrich A/Ts in either 305/70 or 295/75. I have read about spacers vs coilovers, but am not sure what is better for what I want to do. I also would like to stay under $1000 if possible to lift both the front and back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

spill_02
04-12-2005, 10:56 AM
i am looking for any advice on what kind of lift (type, brand, and how many inches) is recommended for someone who only wants to put bigger tires on their Tacoma, but not do any kind of off-roading. I have a 2001 TRD 4x4 Ext Cab, and all I want to do is provide clearance for bigger tires. I will be mounting the tires on the Ivan Stewart TRD rims, which are 16x8. The tires I am wanting are BF Goodrich A/Ts in either 305/70 or 295/75. I have read about spacers vs coilovers, but am not sure what is better for what I want to do. I also would like to stay under $1000 if possible to lift both the front and back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
well being that you dont intend to offroad and want to stay under 1k i would say go with a spacer lift, problem is that your ride will be a little stiff, but life is full of decisions, in the rear there are many options, i would say stay away from the blocks which is the cheapest (i would say correct me if im wrong) but this increases axle wrap(bad) so i would go with an aal or some longer shackles, as for tires on a spacer lift you can probably only fit 33 12.5 or 285's safely with the 16x8 since there will be no offroading taking place.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8379
this thread might be helpful as well. gl

tumor
04-12-2005, 01:41 PM
i just did what you want to know and i asked the same questions heres what i got. 2003 trd x cab v6 with 3" cornfed spacer kit w/ procomp aal 2.5" in the back cost me 360 shipping and all for that kit to my door in about a week and half. had the lift installed for 200 not to mechanically inclined so i had to dish it out. the tires i got are 32x11.50r15 bfg at's costing me 700 and change from sears they price matched costco i wanted to use my sears card to pay for it. just that brings you to alittle over 1000 already but you good to go if you do the lift your self. if i had the tools i would do it myself now that i have seen it done. so you can get that setup for under 1000. also i had to pick up a pair of used non-trd coils for 50 which is a good investment the ride is awesome. no complaints. little viberation but i haven't done the alignment yet doing that when the tires are put on by sears and maybe the washer on the carrier bearing if need it.

oh a little minor side effect

the wife or gf will hate you and the site for all this info that will take time away from her and spending money were she thinks it isn't nessecary.

guys on gals on here are great at answering question and also the search tools is great also,i just about mastered that...i think.

renzo626
04-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Go with what's in my sig, pretty cheap and you'll clear 33"s no problem

hytenor
04-16-2005, 12:36 PM

2" spacer lift and a 2" body lift will work. do the install yourself to keep the total price down. you may still rub on occasion but it won't be a problem.

spacers
RB body lift kit
2" longer rear shocks
BPV extension bracket
24" rear brake line

cluster1ne
04-16-2005, 02:43 PM
You clear 33's no problem with a 2.5" spacer?

themariachi
04-16-2005, 09:41 PM
nope. you rub

hytenor
04-16-2005, 11:54 PM

nope. not unless they are 33x10.50s ;)

themariachi
04-17-2005, 12:24 PM
nope. not unless they are 33x10.50s ;)
ok, you got me

NorcalPR
04-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I've been looking at the Toytec lifts. I can get a 3" front spacer and 2.5" rear AAL. I have a 99 Pre runner and I want to fit 33X10.5" tires. Is this feasable? I'll do some off roading, but not hardcore.

I'm so sorry if this has been covered.

cluster1ne
04-17-2005, 05:34 PM
2" spacer lift and a 2" body lift will work. do the install yourself to keep the total price down. you may still rub on occasion but it won't be a problem.

spacers
RB body lift kit
2" longer rear shocks
BPV extension bracket
24" rear brake line

Sorry, i just read that you had the 2.5" spacer, i didnt see the body lift also. Thats why i was like wtf. My bad...

hytenor
04-17-2005, 08:59 PM
ok, you got me

well...I still rub with 2.5" but its no big deal ;)

Chris with Expeditions West has a writeup showing how to run them with NO lift.

themariachi
04-17-2005, 10:12 PM
well...I still rub with 2.5" but its no big deal ;)

Chris with Expeditions West has a writeup showing how to run them with NO lift.
a little :saw: always helps...i know it helped me fit my 285s

spill_02
04-18-2005, 12:34 AM
a little :saw: always helps...i know it helped me fit my 285s
possibly a little :welder: with the pinch weld

hytenor
04-20-2005, 02:32 PM
I've been looking at the Toytec lifts. I can get a 3" front spacer and 2.5" rear AAL. I have a 99 Pre runner and I want to fit 33X10.5" tires. Is this feasable? I'll do some off roading, but not hardcore.

I'm so sorry if this has been covered.

yes, with the 10.50s you will be fine. you'll still rub the frame rails on full-lock turns and tag the pinch weld area on occasion...no biggie though.