TTORA Forum banner

Battery Cables/Terminals

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TacoDell 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i'm looking at replacing my old stock battery with an optima red top. at the same time i was looking at also upgrading or just getting nicer new battery cables and terminals. How difficult is it to replace the cables and terminals? Also, are there any fitment issues with the optima redtop the way there are with the yellow top? THanks

#2 ·
If you want a RedTop that fits without messing with the cables... you need to purchase the RepTop 34 "R"... The "R" designates reverse Terminals... It is also from the same 34/78 group... so it has exactly the same specs and size as standard RedTop 34 aside from the terminal post difference... You will need the plastic spacer under it... or will have to rework the upper hold down bracket if you choose not to space the battery up...

Here's my 34 "R" mounted...

If using a regular Red Top 34...

Here's a pic of what one person has done... with a 34 and utilizing the top oem hold down... and the crappy spacer...

Or you could make a battery box similar to my Aux. battery...
: that Aux. RT34 is being replace with a Yellow Top :

Search Optima Battery and read... there is a shitload of info if you do that...

Start here... http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2257081

#3 ·
hey dell, can you PM me a pic of that 2nd picture?

#5 ·
So this might be a little bit off topic. But i replaced my starter contacts today for the notorious clicking problem. I noticed for the first time today though that when i start the car with the headlights on they dim. Any ideas as to what this can be? I'm looking at replacing the battery but i'm not sure if this is it now? THanks for the help\.

#6 ·
Its been how many months and you are still bringing this stuff up?

Have your battery load tested. If its weak, then its time for a new one. Or you can just do like Marty McFly in Back to the Future and bang your head on the steering wheel. Thats the trick to starting any car.

#7 ·
chill with the tude bro. i'm asking the question after i performed a repair. i did have the battery tested at an advance auto parts a while back and supposedly it was ok. now i'm not sure if they load tested it or just did a regular test. could the dimming headlights be coming from anything else. i was doing some research and saw that this is common when a starter motor is drawing to much power. Could this be it on my truck? I checked the brushes when replacing the contacts and they looked fine. Any other suggestions? THanks

#9 ·
i cleaned the terminals and connectors about 2 weeks ago really well with a plumbers copper brush. It disguised the clicking issue i was having for about a week. I scrubbed them down till they looked new and even still the clicking issue presented itself about a week later. I am looking at replacing my battery and cables to see if this resolves the problem i'm having. I'm also doing it to re-assure myself that i have a winter capable vehicle. Any recommendations on heavier duty aftermarket battery cables that require no modification to both the cable and the truck?

#10 ·
Odd that cleaning would make the noise go away and then return... maybe you need new cable ends ?

I wouldn't know of what aftermarket manufacturer may offer oem or better quality replacement cables... did you try a dealer for oem stuff ?.. shouldn't be anything wrong with oem... it's up to snuff...

I'd recommend TRD of Dallas (sponsor here/trdpartsforyou.com)
But PM Jacque ( username >> the_parts_guy ) He represents them here... and they offer the best prices for oem stuff... worth a quote from him...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.