: Rust on Chrome Bumper!

Gundler
04-13-2005, 10:25 AM
I was cleaning the truck over the weekend and noticed some considerable rust underneath the rear bumper...not just surface rust, but "bubbling" and coming through around the bolts!! :mad:
It's a 2003...is this a common thing on these bumpers?
Will the dealer replace the bumper? :confused:

Thanks,
Dan

Dick Foster
04-13-2005, 10:28 AM
It's probably due to all that road salt in your area.

TOYMINATOR
04-13-2005, 10:31 AM
I was cleaning the truck over the weekend and noticed some considerable rust underneath the rear bumper...not just surface rust, but "bubbling" and coming through around the bolts!! :mad:

Thanks,
Dan

I moved your post out of Tacoma Tech to Newbie Tech so you would get an answer instead of being flamed into the ground.

mrbigbri
04-13-2005, 11:57 AM
It's okay man... there's still lots of us that run the stock bumper.

I'd go see the dealer and get them to replace it under warranty. Those things aren't supposed to rust. 8-)

Brian

Dick Foster
04-13-2005, 12:05 PM
I think he's probably out of warranty by now. His is a 2003 truck.

mrbigbri
04-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, I guess it depends on when he bought it and how much he drives. It's possible he's still within the 3 years / 36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper.

Brian

Tufemup
04-13-2005, 04:21 PM

Thanks,
Dan
I'm in CT and mine is 3 years old. Nothing bubbling through yet but rusty underneath. Gotta wash (at least rinse) through the winter around here at least once a week. Especially if the temp rises for a few days. Temp speeds up the rusting process.

hawaiianbro
04-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Have you tried any chrome polish yet?

Gundler
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
It's probably due to all that road salt in your area.
I do live in the Northeast with lots of salt...but I wash the truck regularly during the winter months.

The truck has 31,000 miles, so yes it is still under warranty...so next service visit I will see what the dealership has to say.

I just seems very early for this type of rust...maybe after owning several Toyotas and seeing them rust away before my eyes. It makes me a little nervous to see a vehicle only 2 years old to have rust...

Thanks for the advice everyone.