: Must drop front diff tonight!

devinsixtyseven
11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Anything I should be aware of? This'll be the first time I've done the drop.

How's this checklist:

Drain
Front d-shaft
ADD unit (vacuum line, power)
CV joints (just pull out, correct? No puller necessary?)
Three bolts, lower on a floor jack

That assumes I've already got the spindles away from the LBJs and the halfshafts loose from the hubs, that's easy enough.

TIA!

-Sean

Quick Draw
11-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Haha....this reminds me of good times...

That checklist looks good. Just make sure you have the right (big) allen wrenches for the drain plugs and rear mount, and a socket for the axle nut. It's somewhere around 34mm....but I don't remember.

You will probably want to unbolt it and drop it half way, so that you can actually undo the vac lines, and electrical, otherwise it's hard to get to.

Also, my CVs just pulled out with a crowbar...so I would assume yours would too.

Is this on a Tundra? I forget what you drive...

RedRunnertc
11-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it's a Tundra ... bolt sizes n stuff might be different...

Why do you need to drop it?

devinsixtyseven
11-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Diff getting locked and geared, finally...ORS doing the work, gotta get it in tomorrow so I can get it back Friday & have the truck Monday.

It's full float, so just a snap ring under the manual hub body, and it's the exact same diff as the 95.5-04 Tacomas...got the tools but never done it before.

The inner CVs should come out with a yank based on what a buddy passed along...he's done it too many times...hopefully no crowbar necessary but it wouldn't be the first time.

I'll check back in a bit, gonna get some shuteye before I dig in...

RedRunnertc
11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Kyle's (Quickdraw) were TOUGH to get out and back in.

Kyle's (TowerRigger) were pretty easy.

I'll let the tight/loose jokes slide for now ... :rofl:

thefatkid
11-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Kyle's (Quickdraw) were TOUGH to get out and back in.

Kyle's (TowerRigger) were pretty easy.

I'll let the tight/loose jokes slide for now ... :rofl:

Like throwing a hot-dog down a hallway :confused:

Lysmachia
11-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh that was good. We shoulda greased quick-draw's CV up and then thrown a twinkie into the axle housing... *smirk*

devinsixtyseven
11-07-2007, 02:06 AM
It's out :D. I won't bore you guys with the details but it was pretty easy, except for getting the snap rings off the manual hub outer CVs. That was like trying to catch a greased deaf guy in a convenience store.

T60 works well enough in place of a 12mm allen wrench for that rear main fastener, and a pair of opposed crowbars makes a great press tool so the inner CVs aren't side loaded on the way out.

-Sean

TowerRigger
11-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I can't help it if my taco's loose. It was made that way.:rolleyes: ;) :D

Lysmachia
11-12-2007, 05:50 AM
It's out :D. I won't bore you guys with the details but it was pretty easy, except for getting the snap rings off the manual hub outer CVs. That was like trying to catch a greased deaf guy in a convenience store.

-Sean

Dude.... We have snap ring pliars in many makes... sexes.. models.. and sizes at the H.O.W.

You hate me now huh? LMAO!

devinsixtyseven
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, my snap ring pliers are the midget transvestite model. Who makes the kind with the indexing groove at the end, to capture the snap ring? I need to get some of those...straight nose and bent nose.