: 100,000 mile tune-up....any tips?

hawaiianbro
04-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey, I'm doing my 100,000 mile tune-up on my 98 3.4L....Gonna start off with the belts and was wondering if anybody has any tips? Looks like I have to remove the radiator shroud and the fan. After I change the belts i'm gonna run sea foam through the pcv valve, oil and gas tank. Also I was wondering how I would change the spark plugs on this engine? It's a distributerless ignition system and i've never done maintenance to this type of system.

I'm also replacing the pcv valve and grommet.

-New oil with a quart of Lucas
-Deckplate Mod

Anybody have any tips or suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance,
Kaleo

rojodiablo
04-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Hey, I'm doing my 100,000 mile tune-up on my 98 3.4L....Gonna start off with the belts and was wondering if anybody has any tips? Looks like I have to remove the radiator shroud and the fan. After I change the belts i'm gonna run sea foam through the pcv valve, oil and gas tank. Also I was wondering how I would change the spark plugs on this engine? It's a distributerless ignition system and i've never done maintenance to this type of system.

I'm also replacing the pcv valve and grommet.

-New oil with a quart of Lucas
-Deckplate Mod

Anybody have any tips or suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance,
Kaleo
Make sure you have a manual, or search here for the write up on the timing belt swap!! You have to move some paka-junk to get to the plugs, but they are easy enough. Since the front is open, check the water pump for any leaks,and replace it then if necessary. TRD poi or seafoam in the intake helps clean up the intake, and you sound set. Do the grease job, u joints and the like, and gear oil change on the diffs and trans. Aloha.

hawaiianbro
04-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Make sure you have a manual, or search here for the write up on the timing belt swap!! You have to move some paka-junk to get to the plugs, but they are easy enough. Since the front is open, check the water pump for any leaks,and replace it then if necessary. TRD poi or seafoam in the intake helps clean up the intake, and you sound set. Do the grease job, u joints and the like, and gear oil change on the diffs and trans. Aloha.

TRD poi? lol...I just changed the diff fluid with 80-90W. Is there anything else I need to replace with the spark plugs? I know on a system with a distributor it's normal to replace the Cap and Rotor....I was just wondering if there is anything similar to do on this engine?

Thanks again!

Kaleo

ShowStop
04-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Replacing the belts shouldn't require the removal of the fan, just the shroud. You just have to work the belt over the fan to get it on. Obviously you have to remove and install the belts in order from back to front or vice versa.

Dick Foster
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
If you haven't already, the timing belt and water pump are due as are plugs and perhaps plug wires. Don't know what you do for annual but I just did my annual coolant drain and flush along with replacing all the drive train oils including both diffs. I do those two every year in the spring so I can start the wheeling season with a good feeling. I still have to do annyual preventative on the intake, clean the air filter, check the MAF (clean if dirty) and clean the throttle body.

rojodiablo
04-14-2005, 09:41 PM
TRD poi? lol...Kaleo
Yeah, it helps keep the menehune from making things get KAPAKAHI.....Dick Foster has a good point. Check the battery as well, while you are at it. Water is still cheap, if needed.