: Rail Dust

Koke
04-15-2005, 02:39 PM
I was washing my truck a couple of weeks ago and I noticed very small pin head size rust spots on the surface of my paint. I immediately drove over to the dealership as the truck is a 2004. I was informed that this was known as rail dust. Apparently small metal shavings, filings, etc. can settle on the surface after painting. Fortunately, they have a service bulletin on how to fix this. It affects 1994 to present toyota tacomas. There was no charge for the cleaning process they used to remove these spots. I would suggest checking out your vehicles and taking them into to get looked at if you have "rail dust"

volley
04-15-2005, 08:26 PM
I had the same thing happen to my old S-10. You have to go in within a certain amount of time, I missed the time frame on mine and fought the dealer tooth and nail and they still wouldn't fix it. Sucked big time.

TuRD03
04-15-2005, 11:03 PM
a clay bar will take it out. Just get a kit

anestech*
04-16-2005, 01:06 AM
a clay bar will take it out. Just get a kit

x2

Hit is with a claybar as soon as you pick it up (obviously too late in your case, then hit with some Zaino. See my WS6 pic to see what Zaino does, or try http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PHOTOS to see how good it looks with a better camera.

cluster1ne
04-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Definately use the clay, if i remember right, the tsb the dealer uses is actually a three stage acid wash. No good on the paint if you ask me... Clay Magic and a little lubricant takes it right off, then just coat it with some wax.