: Hazardous fluid disposal

fjcruzer
11-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Where does one dispose of hazardous fluids, such as engine oil, coolant, gear oil, and all that good stuff from maintenance? I used to be able to recycle it through a buddy, but now in Denver I'm clueless :confused:

Quick Draw
11-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Coolant you can flush down the toilet (not down your driveway) and it's legal. Most autoparts stores have an oil recycling thing. They don't really look to see exactly what you're putting in there, so if it's petroleum based, I think you would be fine taking it to an autoparts store.

Wildturkee
11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
engine oil, gear lube, trans oil can all be taken to any Checkers/auto zone/ advanced, they have a bin that you can pour it in at no cost, Antifreeze on the other hand, i have no clue, you can ask when you drop off oil.

RedRunnertc
11-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Personally, I drain it all into one pan and take it to the local Checker (just cuz it's closest). They have a big container to drain it into.

You may want to call beforehand though - there have been instances where the container was full and they couldn't accept any more.

fjcruzer
11-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Cool, thanks y'all, now I just have to find one of those nearby :D

TowerRigger
11-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Anti freeze will naturally break down. They use the same stuff to de ice airplanes. It all goes down the drain.

Prodigy
11-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Anti freeze will naturally break down. They use the same stuff to de ice airplanes. It all goes down the drain.
You may want to check on this.

There are several types of Glycol that will not break down. I know in Wyo it is Illegal to pour antifreeze from your vehicles down then drain.

There are several lawsuits right now trying to prevent the use of glycols as a de0icing agent. Hell some airports even use MEK!

Mythica
11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I take oil and gear oil to Auto Zone.

They used to have a recyling place here in the springs, but not sure what the name is.

Anti freeze, i dont know for sure. I know that it will kill dogs and small children if they drink it out of the gutter.

DelveDS
11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I was always told that Anti-freeze is safe to go down the drain as long as you dilute it with copious amounts of water.Ethylene Glycol, the toxic stuff in antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, and a bunch of other stuff, breaks down in 10 days in air to a couple weeks in water... So basically it's safe to go down the drain as long as you pour a crap load of water down with it...

Wildturkee
11-19-2007, 12:49 PM
ya flush tha toilet a few time that will do the trick...

Wildturkee
11-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Here you all go for antifreeze. not sure how much they charge to take it, but assume it is free...hopefully. they might even resell it for cheep.

http://www.clearchoiceantifreeze.com/contact.html

TowerRigger
11-19-2007, 07:11 PM

There are several types of Glycol that will not break down. I know in Wyo it is Illegal to pour antifreeze from your vehicles down then drain.

There are several lawsuits right now trying to prevent the use of glycols as a de0icing agent. Hell some airports even use MEK!

MEK is good stuff.:D Yes we did use it when I worked at an airline.

My brother in law started an antifreeze recycling business. He sold all the equipment though. He couldn't sell his service. All the shops and businesses that delt with used anti freeze just looked at him and simply said 'Why should I pay you to recycle the stuff when I can just legaly pour it down the drain.'

Tug
03-04-2008, 07:12 PM

I was just going to say, I work for a major airline in the maintenance department and even though I worked in Los Angeles (LAX) and NEVER had the need to deice a plane I never heard of using anti freeze as a deicer. Glycol has always been the main ingredient.

MEK?? You know how long its been since I've heard anyone say that word? I used to work in an a/c engine overhaul facility in San Diego and used MEK on an irregular basis. Those were the days lol

It's legal to pour anti-freeze down the toilet? Thats a new one on me.

Avsfreak1234
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
when I need to deice a plane I call the airport a few hours ahead of time and they put it in the hangar for me! :D but i fly rented cessnas...

mattscout
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
For anyone living in the Springs, I will take your used oil and antifreeze. My shop has an oil burning furnace and we usually run out before the end of winter and since it is cooling off bring it on. PM me and I will set up a time. Please keep oil and antifreeze separate since the furnace doesn't like antifreeze but will take gear oil, brake fluid,engine oil and pretty much any petroleum based product. Later, Matt.

ike
08-18-2008, 10:18 PM
good to know. I will keep that in mind for gear oil.