: bear....axles

phishtaco
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/488723717.html

fj62 axles, great deal. Disc brakes, 4.11 fine spline gears. If not go pick them up for me and I'll send you the money

Bear
11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
that is a good deal, and the first modifaction I was going to do on the 73 was convert over to disk.

I just hope I have the funds in my stash for it! If I don't I will definitely grab it for you!

phishtaco
11-30-2007, 06:42 AM
At least get the front for yourself.

Bear
11-30-2007, 07:03 AM
I want to, but bad time of the year for buying parts! But I am working on the wife for them!

I wasplanning on calling on them today. I want to try to at least get one for you If I can't afford both of them.

Bear
12-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I called on them and waiting on a reply from my voice mail I left!

phishtaco
12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
If you don't pick up that front axle, you better go get it for me :) I have no idea when I would come get it from you though. heck I'll take the empty housing and the long side axle shaft. When you are done stripping it.

Bear
12-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I am waiting on a call back! I called them this morning and got a voice mail. Ill try again this evening!

I want, ney I need the axles, but with Christmas and all the other parts I have on order, it is hard to wrangle the funds. I might just need to let them go to you. but I will definitely work on getting them! will be trying to low ball for the above mentioned reasons regardless.

Bear
12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
:xofftopic

are you going to be making our Xmas party? you are practically a regular member so I don't see a reason you shouldn't come! see the thread in the events section!

phishtaco
12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I did see your little party going on....Holiday free time is way to tough for me. we'll have to try for a winter/spring wheeling trip.

On topic......
just let me know about the axle, heck they might already be stripped.

Bear
12-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't know if they are stripped or not. but I figured I would try and call after work as it sounded like a home number I got the voice mail on.

I am also working on the wife to see if I can possibly swing them, just have to wait and see. but I definitely want disks on the 40's and it would be great to have them front and rear! But I am guessing a bigger master would also be needed! Which would be minor in the grander scope of the project.

(and yes I merged the post into your original thread on the axles)

phishtaco
12-04-2007, 02:10 PM
You're trying to confuse me....i still run a 73 mst cyl on mine but I only have discs up front. If you get the disc up front with good drums in the back, you'll be fine.

Bear
12-04-2007, 02:27 PM
that is the way the 71 cruiser will probably be set up, although I would like to do a conversion on the dana 44 we are stuffing under the rear of it.

I have gotten the wife thinking about the axles so that is a good thing!

But the first thing I thought about when seeing the 73 was converting it over to disk in the front as you said.

You know putting disk in the rear of these rigs might be a little too much. I am just kinda thinking out loud here (in a internet kind of way, of coarse)

phishtaco
12-04-2007, 02:42 PM
All kinds of rear disc info here
http://www.ih8mud.com/cruisertech.php

Bear
12-04-2007, 02:57 PM
yup! I have already printed out some of those write ups in fact!

Bear
12-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Marty, do you mind calling the craig's listing? I don't mind picking up the axles if you need them. But we tore down the cruiser this weekend and somehow I mistook the front discs for drums…I don't need these axles but will more than happily pick them up for you if you want them.

phishtaco
12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
hey bear...That is lucky for you! as much as I want the axle, I don't neccesarily(sp) need it right now. And I have no idea when I could come get it from you. I really do appreciate the offer though

Bear
12-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I would be happy to store it for you if need be! no time frame required!

I did try to call them last week on them though, and only got voice mail with no call back

I was thinking of taking the rear axle then I would be able to have a complete 4 disc cruiser!

We are already planning to convert the rear of the other 40 to disc, just going to use a dana 44 for it though!

phishtaco
12-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Is the 44 offset like the cruiser? What tcase are you running? cruiser axles are stronger. Plus no driveshaft work.

Bear
12-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Is the 44 offset like the cruiser? What tcase are you running? cruiser axles are stronger. Plus no driveshaft work.

I got the axle in a trade with Dave, I didn't look at it closely but I believe it is a centered diff.

It is going in this 40: http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Bear4x4/FJ%2040%20project/P1010276.jpg

so as you can see, at this point it doesnt matter much about the drive shafts or much of anything at this point:D

Actually I am going to have to have some custom driveshafts anyway.

This cruiser will probably be about as much Toyota as my Tacoma is now…in other words it is going to be more a frankenstien that a yoda! it is the one getting the ford 302 in it so I'm thinking the drive line is going to start with a C4 tranny. I am just not sure yet which Xcase matches up to the C4…currently my attention is on the other 40 and my Tacoma

brinner
12-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Dana 20 (twin sticks from the ford line) are the common use for C4's. Appearantly they're cheap and easy to rebuild.

Bear
12-12-2007, 08:22 AM
not a bad idea! the twin sticks would actually make it more simple for Cub #2 wouldn't it? no confusion on where he has the transfer case…

thanks Brian, I'll have to look into that more!