: DC bed swap with an Xtra Cab?

flyingwil
04-20-2005, 04:28 PM
I have seen a few people mod their beds to be shorter…. Just a question how realistic would it be to add a DC bed to an Xtra Cab? I really do not like the looks of a flat bed, but think it might look cool to have a “baby bed” from a DC on a xtra cab. Has anyone attempted this?

AK98Taco
04-20-2005, 04:45 PM
snowchucker had a DC bed on his Xtracab if I remember correctly. Looked sharp.

I don't think the rear most body mount would be used anymore, and you could bob the frame.

Tufemup
04-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I have seen a few people mod their beds to be shorter…. Just a question how realistic would it be to add a DC bed to an Xtra Cab? I really do not like the looks of a flat bed, but think it might look cool to have a “baby bed” from a DC on a xtra cab. Has anyone attempted this?
How would the wheel wells line up. I would think to line up the wheel well with the wheels, you'd have to put the bed to the rear and you'd have a 1 ft space between the cab and bed.

Puckett
04-20-2005, 05:43 PM

You would have to put a "xtra cab" cab on a "regular cab" frame to use the "double cab" bed and make it work right - or shorten the frame between the back of the cab and front of the bed of an xtra cab frame.

flyingwil
04-20-2005, 08:40 PM
sounds like a ton of work.... not my bag of tea. I just thought it sounded like a neat idea for a swb. thanks for your input!

AK98Taco
04-20-2005, 09:43 PM
You would have to shorten the wheelbase by moving the leaf spring mounts forward, going to a one-piece rear driveshaft, as well as other work.

Mike
04-20-2005, 09:50 PM

Shorter wheelbases work great out on the trail.

Later,
....Mike

http://www.norcalttora.com/albums/album37/abw.jpg

flyingwil
04-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Shorter wheelbases work great out on the trail.

Later,
....Mike

http://www.norcalttora.com/albums/album37/abw.jpg

Dude... I think that thing is fawkin' sweet. Who's truck is it? any write ups? I am just playing with ideas... Thanks for your input.

Mike
04-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Dude... I think that thing is fawkin' sweet. Who's truck is it? any write ups? I am just playing with ideas... Thanks for your input.

It's Chuck Gardella's truck. It's flatbedded now.

It's an older Toy frame. It was a project to reconstruct a Taco that was totalled in an accident.

You could definitely shorten your existing frame, others have done it with good results.

Later,
....Mike