: kids and extra cab

godzilla
04-20-2005, 06:36 PM
wifes pregnant, and im wondering if an extra cab truck would be suited for a car seat. Anyone with first hand experience have any comments?

Thanks!

Mike

Oppositeboy
04-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I fit one in... It was't pretty. LOL I have Eclipse seats and I took out the rear pads. I don't know if it helped or hurt. I picked up a Civic, so that takes care of the kiddie seat issue. I didn't like it in the x-cab. Your experience may be better than mine (I also had gear and 2 10" subs in a box back there...) :D

CronusTRD
04-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Congrats!

The extra cab behind the passenger seat has a tray that props up for mounting a child seat.

qball
04-20-2005, 07:34 PM
wifes pregnant, and im wondering if an extra cab truck would be suited for a car seat. Anyone with first hand experience have any comments?

Thanks!

Mike

I used it in my extra cab, there is a plastic tab on top of the backseat that comes of to run part of the child seat through. It seemed secure and held up to a little offroading. Hope this helps

sochuck
04-20-2005, 07:34 PM
I have an 11yo, well actually she is our niece and we took custody of her, last year I had an extended cab it was ok but the new double cab is sooo much better!!!

KenRiceHilo
04-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks!

Mike

Congratulations!! I was once in your situation and although the child seat fit, it was difficult to put my son in and take him out of the child seat. It was especially problematic in tight parking lots when someone was parked next to me. The double cab I have now makes things so much easier. Good luck.

WickedOne
04-22-2005, 06:31 AM
I have a 2 yr old now with an xtra Cab. I would have opted for a Double cab but the money wasnt there. As far as a seat goes. well... its tight to say the least. esp if you have a passenger. My biggest beef is the fact that when you goto slide back the seat... it needs to go all the way back, just about squishing my poor guys feet. So everytime I gotta be careful. However when riding just him and I he loves it. As far as getting him in and out.. its pretty simple. Except now hitting his terrible two's when he throws a fit trying to buckle him down isnt easy.

godzilla
04-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys! I went and drove some new tacoma's yesterday and ive got to say, I was pretty dissapointed with the 05's. I am thinking of either getting an 04 double cab or not getting a tacoma at all. The nice thing about the 05 is that it has an access cab with a door that opens. I may get a tundra, or I could even look at a nissan truck. not real sure at this point. I just know I have to do something, I cant stand driving my honda and my tacoma is gone so I need a new vehicle. It wont be an offroad vehicle for me so I actually dont even need 4wd...my first choice would be an 04 X-cab tacoma, but if its not a smart choice, I wont even pursue it.

Ill find something!

thanks guys!

phishtaco
04-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Who bought the Tacoma? Did it stay in OH
Just get an FZJ80 with elockers.

godzilla
04-22-2005, 12:58 PM
nah, I dont need a wheeler / DD. im going to separate the 2 in the future :)

sold to a guy in TN. He is picking it up Sunday.

grillmasterp
04-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks!
Mike

Congrats!
My wife is due this Sept/Oct-
Fortunately - We previously purchased an SUV with starting a family in mind.

I have an Xtracab and have this info to offer-
Behind the passenger seat is a foldout "base/ table" Its designed to increase surface area to accommodate a child seat.
It will do the job...However.........

As others have said its a tight fit, and not all car seats may fit- getting the infant/child in & out may not be as convenient either-
Also - Research has concluded that children (Even if restrained) are more likely to incur bodily harm in Extended cab trucks compared to vehicles with larger cabins/4 doors-

So basically - the Xtracab will work...However- a Double cab would be a better choice- Even with a child on the way- I probably will not get rid of my Xtracab- But I will prefer to transport the child in my wife's vehicle than in my truck - Probably only use the Xtracab as needed only.
In the next 2-3 years, I would consider retiring my 4wd Xtracab to trailrig status and getting a DoubleCab as a DD.

I also have a cousin that managed with their first child with an Accesscab Tundra- However they are expecting their second child and have already traded in on a Doublecab Tundra- He loves it!

Tufemup
04-24-2005, 08:40 AM
I agree with everyone above but I have to say, the infant seats (rear facing) will not fit. They are just too deep front to back for an extra cab. A toddler seat (front facing) will fit but only give the little one a couple inches of leg room. Which is OK if they are small enough to not need leg room or big enough that their legs are able to bend at the knee and legs go down towards the floor but for the kids at the inbetween stage where their calves reach the edge of the seat, it's just not good. I've got a 7 year old and a 4 year old now but I've had the truck for 3 years. Just missed the infant stage but my oldest is getting kind of big for the jump seats. Had to pad the plastic strip between the rear window and the padded back rest cause he was hitting his head on it all the time. Figure I've only got a couple more years with him back there before he starts complaining. Fortunately my wife drives a Honda Pilot so any family outtings we take that.

futrtacowner
04-28-2005, 10:43 AM
that was some great information...i actually had the same question now i dont have to ask 7 got the answers i needed

calamaridog
04-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I put the seat in the front passenger side and turned off the airbag. The wife had to sit in back:)

This is why I sold the Taco and bought a Land Cruiser LOL.

StemsCornfedTaco
04-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Congrats!

The extra cab behind the passenger seat has a tray that props up for mounting a child seat.

Is that what that stand is for?? I move my sub box over to and use it to hold my cooler of "SODA" ;) I'm Joking, It just allows me to seat one more chick in my truck.

RedOh3
04-28-2005, 09:56 PM
my 2 year old nephew loves riding back there. Carseat fits perfect and an arms length away!

Tacomatoy03
05-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Man i had the same problem as you all did...although now i have 2 little girls, a 3 year old and a 1 year old...i had an 03 ex cab and loved it, kind of like a married mans single truck.......no one but me in there....then the time came for the wife to go back to work and me taking care of the kids now and then when i am off....no problem there, but she would have the explorer then....so we tried a few things got the seats in there after cursing alot....

It is just a major hassle, but they will fit.....no room for anything else possible....

So i ddi the next best thing, bought an used 04 double cab trd fully loaded,(actually better than the ex cab in options...i wasnt complaining) this solved it all, now the girls have room to move and i have access easy in and easy out for them both....throw the stroller in the back and we are good to go on the road without mommy.....

RedOh3
05-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Man i had the same problem as you all did...although now i have 2 little girls, a 3 year old and a 1 year old...i had an 03 ex cab and loved it, kind of like a married mans single truck.......no one but me in there....then the time came for the wife to go back to work and me taking care of the kids now and then when i am off....no problem there, but she would have the explorer then....so we tried a few things got the seats in there after cursing alot....

It is just a major hassle, but they will fit.....no room for anything else possible....

So i ddi the next best thing, bought an used 04 double cab trd fully loaded,(actually better than the ex cab in options...i wasnt complaining) this solved it all, now the girls have room to move and i have access easy in and easy out for them both....throw the stroller in the back and we are good to go on the road without mommy.....

now THAT's Tacoma dedication.

Jman
06-03-2005, 11:00 PM
I've got twin 4 year old girls and they love riding in the back of my extra cab. Booster seats work perfectly for them, it's just a bit awkward when they fall asleep. A lot of bobbing heads then.

andrewmft
06-04-2005, 07:26 AM
I had a 3 yr old at the time of looking for my first / new truck almost exactly a year ago. Few months later, we were successful at creating our 2nd child. Now that he's here and our daughter is a little bit bigger...they both fit nicely in the double cab, an option that my wife and are very fortunate to have is her 14 yr old sister who also fits comfortably in the back with the pumpkin seat and the regular kiddie car seat, babysitting from time to time 8)