: hitch rattle

JMacs2004
04-21-2005, 07:46 AM
OK. Surely this same thing has to be annoying the piss out of someone else too.

My '04 came with the factory receiver. I picked up the hitch where I bought the utility trailer. It wasn't a snug fit, but I didn't think too much about it at the time. Until I started to move.

Driving back and forth between the houses, the hitch would rattle up and down. A time or two wouldn't bother me, but that constant ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, ta da da, gets to you after a couple of trips. Obviously, it wasn't as bad with a load on the trailer, a little tongue weight helped.

I went out and purchased a Reese hitch. It is just as loose!! Wood wedges rattle out. A couple of strips of sheet metal help, but...

Did Toyota oversize their receiver by a little bit? Or am I just unlucky and buying undersized hitches?

tbplus10
04-21-2005, 11:26 AM
All receivers rattle.
Awhile back I saw a hitch that had rubber attached to the hitch around where the receiver opening was.
When you pushed in the hitch and put in the pin it held the rubber tightly between the hitch and receiver and stopped it from rattling.
The owner said it worked great. He bought it at Tractor Supply, I've looked for one like it but they only come in 0" to 2" drops, I need a 10" drop to keep my trailer level.

Tim

drabnor
04-21-2005, 11:28 AM
i wrap the hitch with a few wraps of duct tape. keeps it nice and snug and doesnt let it rattle.

just dont wrap it with too much otherwise youll never get it to go in to the receiver, and if you do, youll never get it out

Oppositeboy
04-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Before I lost the key to my reciever lock, I left it out until I actually needed it. Then again, even with it in, I couldn't hear it in the cab... How about turning up the radio? :D You could try to "LineX" it yourself until it is snug.

JMacs2004
04-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah, thanks. Turning up the radio is how my wife fixes the noises her car makes.

I had a receiver / hitch set from U-Haul on my last truck. I don't remember it rattling on that. Sounds like that was the exception to the rule, not the standard.

I'll have to check out the local TSC. If not, how well does duct tape silver match Toyota silver?

drabnor
04-21-2005, 12:05 PM
If not, how well does duct tape silver match Toyota silver?

huh? :confused: you cant see the duct tape at all unless you take the hitch out of the receiver

Lebeau
04-21-2005, 01:30 PM
You need one of these.

http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?ProductName=OSI+Anti-Rattle+Coupler&productid=104480&producttype=10

Half Baked Taco
04-21-2005, 01:50 PM
$37 seems quite pricey compared to a duct tape fix....

Dick Foster
04-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Look bonehead. They make the hitch part removable from the receiver for a very a good reason. Take the hitch out of the receiver if you're not using it to tow anything and stow it. If that empty hole bothers you, get a receiver cover. Some are even available in rubber if the noise bothers you that much.

Another one for the NOOB section. Whoever is supposed to be policing this shit, wake up and get to it already.

tbplus10
04-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Then what are we supposed to use to take out the knee caps of people who walk too close behind our trucks.

Tim

Dick Foster
04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
LOL Well if that is your goal, I think something really sharp would be much more suited to that purpose than a round hitch ball. On second thought, I suppose you could take a hitch ball and weld some spikes all over it. That should do a fair amount of damage. Then there's that flame thrower thing I've always wanted to do.

JMacs2004
04-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Foster. Lay off the caffine!! If you would have read the original post a little more carefully, you would noticed that I was talking about with a trailer on. Notice how the noise went away with some tongue wieight. Tongue weight kind of implies a trailer. Everyone else seemed to understand that. If I wanted my ass ripped open, I would go to Pirate 4x4.

Lebeau, Thanks for the link. I will have to look into that to see how if fits / works. Do you have one?

Sincerely,
The bonehead

Dick Foster
04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Look the hitch is a standard size so no I doubt like hell that Toyota made it any bigger than standard. If you have any doubt go measure a few and see for yourself. You use a tool called a ruler or tape measure for that. If you've ever done anything mechanical before you'd know that you can never make two pieces that are supposed to fit together and come apart the same size. There is not such thing a zero tolerance. In fact you can actually make things never come apart that way. You make them the both the exact same size, heat one and cool the other and assemble. When the temperature is stablized to ambient, you'll not be able to get them to come apart again.
The fact that you even brought this up is self evidence that you've never towed anything before or even been close to a hitch in the past. And yes, IMHO it qualified as a dumb question.
BTW Not only will the hitch rattle in the receiver but the ball will rattle in the socket too. If it were tight, it wouldn't allow for any motion.