TTORA Forum banner

65 FJ40 transfer case

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  landcruiser731 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 65 FJ40. It's got a sbc350 and th350 with the stock transfer case. I have searched all over and can't seem to find much info. as far as the strength of this case. I've read that some people prefer the later cases because of stronger materials but that they're more prone to crack and leak than the earlier ones. Anyway, the plan is to run 37" tires with a narrowed 60 front and 14bolt rear. Also, It looks like there is a vacuum system used to operate the xfer case and I cant find any info. on it. I am new to cruisers and the previous owner didn't even know how to shift it into 4wd for sure.
It looks like AA makes a twin stick for it which would eliminate all the linkage and lever on the dash. Any info. will be greatly appreciated! My last vehicle was a Cherokee. After messing around with that unibody for so long, the FJ will be downright fun to work on as far as the fabwork aspect of it!

#4 ·
the thing is about these cases are they have been known to crack but there is a bracet you can buy called a case saver that will provent cracking or you can get an orion case which uses a few pieces out of the stock case to build a stronger case.....you can read about it on AA site
'
http://72.20.96.178/commerce/ccc1315-orion-transfer-case.htm

#5 ·
the FJ40 case wasn't particularly strong . Deep gearing and big tire can do them in. Since your're using a 14 bolt you have other options. You can leave
the pumpkin centered and use an Atlas or even a Dana 300 (2.62 reduction stock with available gearsets to 4.0 ). If you wish to build an offset axle go with the FJ60 transfer, it is twice as strong as the fj40 or at least the Orion which is built around the Toyota FJ40 cast iron case that wasn't available in the USA.
The Orion and Atlas are advance adapter items in case you are unfamiliar with them. The Orion is a 4:1 case and the Atlas is available in 3 or 4 gear ratios

#6 ·
the best thing to use is 205 chevy transfer case that way you dont need to do anything to the rearend. you will have to change drive shafts but you will not have to worry about braking the case.with this case you dont have to run a skid plate it is very heavy and is cast iron. and twin stick setups are everywhere. GOOD LUCK!!

#7 ·
I am leaning towards the Dana 300 right now as it gives me the center output, the ability to clock it up for more clearance with a clocking ring, and 4:1 gear ratio available. Problem is that by the time you build up a 300, your not far from the cost of an Atlas. There's no doubt that the 205 is very strong, but big and heavy and once you add a doubler and extra case for lower gears, probably longer than I'd like. I can see this project snowballing out of control very quickly!

#8 ·
you just have to figure out what your wanting to do with the rig. i have a friend that builds cruisers for a living and his trucks are pretty well bullet proof he has asisted me with my truck. i still have not had the heart to do away with the factory six but it is coming why fix what is not broken. i have seen his trucks be put through the paces on the east coast and he has had a few go out west and no problems there. his trucks run the sbc with 465-205 and a centered rear diff that he makes. he fore warned me when i started it is a domino effect once started it never stops so have deep pockets and plenty of paitence and an understanding spouse. GOOD LUCK!!! if you have any questions feel free to ask

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.