: Starter Load Capability

Zintradi
04-21-2005, 03:32 PM
In the interest of not getting flamed I'm posting this here...
I've checked the search and have not found an answer to my question.

I know you can use the clutch start cancel with your truck in gear and start it up and drive away...
Just how strong is the starter motor and its mount? Can I be on a 25 incline with my front tire up against a rock and in 4-lo and use it and not twist the thing off its mounts or burn the motor up.
I heard of that happening in other vehicles so I wanted to know just what its limits are.

nastynate
04-21-2005, 04:29 PM
In the interest of not getting flamed I'm posting this here...
I've checked the search and have not found an answer to my question.

I know you can use the clutch start cancel with your truck in gear and start it up and drive away...
Just how strong is the starter motor and its mount? Can I be on a 25 incline with my front tire up against a rock and in 4-lo and use it and not twist the thing off its mounts or burn the motor up.
I heard of that happening in other vehicles so I wanted to know just what its limits are.

I would avoid starting in gear at all costs. It's just wear and tear on your starter and engine.

If you're ever in a situation that you need to start on a incline and can't master the clutch pedal, try using the E-brake :)

ShowStop
04-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Can I be on a 25 incline with my front tire up against a rock and in 4-lo and use it and not twist the thing off its mounts or burn the motor up.

I don't think the motor has that much torque to get you over an obstacle like that. Yes you can use it to no-clutch a start going uphill, but that example it a bit extreme. I think the mounts would handle it, but the motor might grenade first. I wouldn't risk a $200 starter motor to try it.

Zintradi
04-21-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't think the motor has that much torque to get you over an obstacle like that. Yes you can use it to no-clutch a start going uphill, but that example it a bit extreme. I think the mounts would handle it, but the motor might grenade first. I wouldn't risk a $200 starter motor to try it.

So, what was the design intent behind it?
I read an ariticle about the new nissan Frontier and how its bassically trying to compete more with the tacoma. THey have added a rear locker and a clutch start cancel. The interviewer asked what it was for and the interviewee demostrated by parking the truck up against a curb and then using the starter to ease himself over it saying that it would work the same with a rock and would save your clutch... And like i've said, i've heard stories elswhere of people trying stuff like that and have torqued the starter off its mount or done other damage.
So anyway, I was wondering if the Tacomas starter motor and mounts had been engineered for added loads to crazy things like that?

I've mastered the parking brake, but I want to get geared so that I can just pop the cluch in low gear with out killing it.