: Pondering trading my truck... what do you think?

amp2oo1
01-10-2008, 03:17 PM
So I have been thinking lately of trading my truck (05 black tacoma) in for something a little more economical. I'm not one to whine about poor mpg, but with some changing priorities in life, it is getting harder and harder to justify my monthly $400+ fuel bill to myself. Adding that to my truck payment each month isn't pretty.

My current train of thought is to get an 80 series cruiser. I've only begun to start reading up on service and mod cost. Mod $$ seem to be about on par with my truck, perhaps a tad less with more options as well. They don't seem too bad so far, but I still have a lot of learning to do. I'd also pick up an econobox commuter for work purposes. I've also thought about an older Tacoma for the "toy".

The ultimate goal is to save money to put toward a house in the overpriced Chicago suburbs, but I realize I'd be spending about the same amount two older vehicles as I do now on my new truck. If nothing else I'd have the comfort of two cars in case I damage the off-road "toy". It's nerve wracking beating up on your only vehicle and DD.

So anyway, I posted here b/c I've met a few of you and don't really want to hear from all the crazies that hang out on the national board. Do you think an 80 series is a good truck to consider for wheeling in our region? Most pictures I see of them are on the rocks. My truck is pretty large and it's made it through some hairy stuff. I don't think an 80 is much bigger.

All opinions are welcome:) It's something I've been thinking about the last few weeks. I do love my current truck, which is why I think I'll forever be in the "pondering" stage of this idea.

Enough rambling, back to work:D

ron86toy
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
If you are looking at an 80 series you better keep looking,you would probably get better mileage in your truck.....they are heavy pigs......Doc Ron(friend of mine) has two of them,one supercharged and one stock.Granted he has just every piece of armor you can think of on them to make it even heavier.I have talked with him on it and he is lucky if he pulls 16 mpg.

But there is the cool factor if you get on with factory lockers and what not....if you go that way look into the LX470's also(can get them with lockers too)

ron86toy
01-10-2008, 09:07 PM
pic's of his SC 80 on 35's....the truck is huge....he knows them well because he amazes me where he puts them with minimal damage.He drives one(sometimes takes both) to Moab a few times a year
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/ron86toy/drummond157.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/ron86toy/drummond100.jpg

Bear
01-11-2008, 06:19 AM
In my opinion, if you are wanting to save money, an 80 is not the way to go. Like Ron said you would be trading your current gas bill in for about the same or even a bit more of a higher one.

then there is the matter of a car payment (at least for most of us) Which means again you will be trading a current one, but for one a slightly lower at best.

Regarding mods…you might be better off with the 80, but give the market a few years to catch up with you. When I bought my 97 back in '1999 the after market support was lousy (in fact that is how I found TTORA…I was looking for a bumper manufacture or what not) But now I can get anything I would rather purchase instead of building for myself.

If I was in your shoes, the only change I would make…buy a beater rig, for your fun, and keep the 05 as your mall runner. that way when (note that I said when and not if) you break something, you are not so hard pressed to repair the damage immediately…my truck has been down for almost a month now. But we have two cars so I am not particulary hurting to drive the truck, although I am at work over an hour early because the wife needed the car today.:mad:

Anymore, you basically have to debt free in order to be able to buy property. I would be working more towards that goal rather than cutting daily expenses. Once you get the debt ratio way down then start saving. But that is just my idea, which could completely wrong :o

amp2oo1
01-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Agreed on being debt free before buying property. I just paid off my student loan in November in only 18 months (instead of the lame 20 year plan;)) For some reason I am antsy to get a house, well more importantly a garage, yard, and deck:) Perhaps it is too ambitious to think I can get one in this area at only 24 years old.

I've heard the 80's get about the same fair/poor milage as my truck (~15-16mpg). That's why I was thinking about picking up the econobox for the work purposes.

I think I'll investigate double payments on the 05 to get that car note gone soon like I did with my student loans, and perhaps try to pick up a cheapo commuter car for the "when" moments out on the trail:)

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it!

Full_Tilt_Fud
01-11-2008, 11:33 AM
A commuter car will not save you any money..............I have ran this over and over in my head.............I commute 60+ miles a day 6-7 days a week...........by the time you figure in the extra insurance and maintenance it is cheaper to just drive the truck.

amp2oo1
01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I did it today...

Traded for a used Mazda3 for a killer price. 05 w/only 35k miles for under $10,500 :) Broke just about even on my truck too which was great considering the busted windshield, dented up bumper and dents/scratches on the passenger side.

I'll be without a truck for a year or two, but will be back someday. I'm going to be saving close to $500 a month in payment and fuel which makes the budget for a home a lot better. It was a tough decision, but I decided it was the right thing to do at this time. It was tough to let her go, but I know I'll be happier in the long run being able to get a home sooner than anticipated.

btw, looked at a home yesterday with a 4 car heated garage. I hardly remember what the house looked like. All I can picture is the sweet garage in my head... :)

I enjoyed meeting you guys and chatting on the board. Hopefully I'll be back again before too long w/ a new toy:D

brinner
01-22-2008, 06:36 AM
good luck, hate to see ya go but im sure things will eventually work out so you can get a truck and join us.....at this point, i would advise you to start looking for an older toy....one that you can really wheel pretty hard on since you dont have to depend upon it for a DD.

amp2oo1
01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
good luck, hate to see ya go but im sure things will eventually work out so you can get a truck and join us.....at this point, i would advise you to start looking for an older toy....one that you can really wheel pretty hard on since you dont have to depend upon it for a DD.

I'll definitely be looking at an older truck hopefully in about a year or so. After all, the main reasons I want a house are for the deck, yard, and garage (and ok, the fact that it is a better investment than renting). I'll need something to work on out in the garage before too long :)

jason6746
01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
good luck and we will see you soon i am sure.

phishtaco
01-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Come buy my FZJ80 and enjoy the 10 mpg....Seriously 94 80, no lockers, 185k miles $6k OBO