: Wheelin' a Stick Shift

JeeBar
04-24-2005, 08:11 PM
I recently got an '05 DoubleCab 4x4 with the 6-speed manual tranny. I got it and love it mostly because I like driving a stick shift on the street. I've only been offroad a few times--in the '01 Tacoma DC I used to have--which obviously had an automatic since that's all that was available.

I'm wondering what the experience/upside/downside of a stickshift will be on the trail. I've heard some people say it's better, but frankly it seems like it'll be a MAJOR pain in the ass managing a clutch while negotiating uneven uphill terrain. What should I expect? Any tips or tricks for not lookin' like a total noob my first time out on a run?

Mike
04-24-2005, 08:18 PM
I recently got an '05 DoubleCab 4x4 with the 6-speed manual tranny. I got it and love it mostly because I like driving a stick shift on the street. I've only been offroad a few times--in the '01 Tacoma DC I used to have--which obviously had an automatic since that's all that was available.

I'm wondering what the experience/upside/downside of a stickshift will be on the trail. I've heard some people say it's better, but frankly it seems like it'll be a MAJOR pain in the ass managing a clutch while negotiating uneven uphill terrain. What should I expect? Any tips or tricks for not lookin' like a total noob my first time out on a run?

Automatics are nice for rock crawling, but I will always own manual tranny rigs. Put a crawler in there and nobody will know you are a noob. :D

Later,
....Mike

snowjerm
04-24-2005, 08:27 PM
I wheel with a stick,and feel like I have more control over what I am doing. Just remember not to hold the clutch down while slowing and breaking on rough terrain. The open clutch is not good to be rattling around.

AK98Taco
04-24-2005, 08:34 PM
One tip for getting started on steep hills, if you have to stop:

Use the parking brake to keep you from rolling backwards, then feather the clutch and get on up the hill. Works the best on slickrock, but I've used it on loose dirt climbs.

xcmountain80
04-24-2005, 08:49 PM

You can truly learn the relationship btwn you and your vehicle, You will have to learn to be quick with the clutch quick with the gas and you will stall no doubt, I feel I have better control of my rig as oposed to driving my brothers auto . But thats just me...

Aaron

Ted
04-24-2005, 09:39 PM
If you have low gearing, the stick is no big deal. There are times were I wish my truck had the auto.

tacodab
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM

you ARE a noob....just face it :):)
and change your avatar...its your old truck :)

tacodab
04-24-2005, 10:42 PM

Mr. Bar
with practice you will learn how to control the truck off road. You just need to get out a keep wheeling. its like anything...practice makes perfect.
when we going to see that rig on a run? Hollister is next month.

BigBadBob0
04-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Just remember that in most cases it's better to stall than smoke your clutch.

xcmountain80
04-25-2005, 05:10 AM
Just remember that in most cases it's better to stall than smoke your clutch.

True true true
Aaron

calamaridog
04-25-2005, 07:12 AM
I love manual transmissions... Compression braking downhill is a GOOD thing - doesn't even compare with an auto. Takes some learning and don't be timid, be bold!

JeeBar
04-25-2005, 05:32 PM
you ARE a noob....just face it :):)
and change your avatar...its your old truck :)
Thanks for the info and advice, guys -- I'll listen to every one of you except the dude with the upside down truck. : ) The squishy rubber things are supposed to point DOWN, Dean...you seem to keep forgetting that with your Tacomas.

NUKE
06-18-2005, 02:59 PM

Autos are really the way to go off road but I just like the stick. I suppose the biggest disadvantage of driving a clutch off-road is the fact that you will probably wear it out a little faster than normal. However, I had 105,000 miles on my 98 Tacoma and still had the original clutch.

mudferret
06-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I've never wheeled an auto, so have no idea what I may or may not have been missing out on.

My first wheeling was on very rocky terrain with lots of slow speed step ups to negotiate. With practice it wasn't a problem for long, low range is a big help. I only slightly burnt my clutch once (no smoke, but the odour can make you want to cry), and that was enough to whip me into shape.

hytenor
06-18-2005, 04:53 PM

you'll love it once you get used to it and with the new, lower ratio 1st the 6sps have, weee!

now, If I could just figure out how to get the new drivetrain in my '00....

NUKE
06-19-2005, 03:35 AM
I've never wheeled an auto, so have no idea what I may or may not have been missing out on.

My first wheeling was on very rocky terrain with lots of slow speed step ups to negotiate. With practice it wasn't a problem for long, low range is a big help. I only slightly burnt my clutch once (no smoke, but the odour can make you want to cry), and that was enough to whip me into shape.

I've wheeled both autos and sticks throughout the years. My preference is still the stick, although the autos, in most cases, has the stick beat. :2cents: Although I've driven the 4 cylinder auto Tacoma, and it does OK...I dunno, it just don't seem right... LOL
Besides, I couldn't have gotten the locker with the auto! ;)

I know what you mean about the smell, it's very unsettling when that aroma wafts up through the floorboards and you're 20 miles from nowhere! :eek:

tbplus10
06-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Install a thumb/hand throttle. With a stick its much easyier to start out in tricky situations, you dont need three feet, and when mounted on the shifter it's easyer to reach than the e-brake.
Rubicon Express sells one for about $30 that takes 20 minutes to install, and has all installation pieces needed.
If you have mechanical skills get a bicycle shifter with a long cable, 2 cable swedges, and make a mounting bracket for the cable adjuster.
I made one for my 99 for $14 in under an hour.

Tim

NUKE
06-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Install a thumb/hand throttle. With a stick its much easyier to start out in tricky situations, you dont need three feet, and when mounted on the shifter it's easyer to reach than the e-brake.
Rubicon Express sells one for about $30 that takes 20 minutes to install, and has all installation pieces needed.
If you have mechanical skills get a bicycle shifter with a long cable, 2 cable swedges, and make a mounting bracket for the cable adjuster.
I made one for my 99 for $14 in under an hour.

Tim

I met a guy in Tellico who had used a bicycle cable and mounted it to his shifter. Very ingenious and VERY clean set up. Can't remember exactly how he made the bracket...got any pics of yours?

Paul
06-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Here's one on a second generation 4Runner. http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/oicnaic_hand_throttle/oicnaic.htm

NUKE
06-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks! Saved to My Favorites for future reference. :saw:

zosimov21
06-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I find its easier to control movement and momentum with stick

Nullifier
06-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Well I installed a hand throtle on the stick. It has come in handy when on steep grades I can use the hand throttle to give me a higher base RPM to start and then when I let out the clutch and brake i can let back on the hand throttle with my finger. You can learn to work the peddles with a heel to tactic howefver when your boots are cloged with slick mub that is not always the easiest or safest thing to do. THe hand throttle is a big help, especially when trying to operate a winch controller at the same time as the brake, gas, clutch, stick, and winch, as well as comunicate with "critics" on the trail.

Dick Foster
06-20-2005, 02:59 PM
You will get a 50% split on this no matter what group you ask. There are advantages and disadvantages of each so you wind up naming your own poison. My Tacoma has a manual tranny and I like the down hill engine braking but I am building an FJ40 buggy with a slushbox. I intend to add a lockup style torque converter and mount a switch on the dash to force lockup so I can get engine braking down hill.

ShowStop
06-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Who's digging up these old threads.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121595&postcount=13

Oh, its NUKE. :bitchslap :D

NUKE
06-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Who's digging up these old threads.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121595&postcount=13

Oh, its NUKE. :bitchslap :D

Yo bitch! Cut me some slack!!! I've been away for a while and I need to catch up! :cool: :D