: Coilover Corrosion

masst1
04-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Do all the major coilovers available (SAWs, Camberg, Donahoe, Kings, etc.) have the same problem with corrosion when exposed to the winter elements? Or is one more resistant? I know donahoe is developing a plated product, but without a expected release date in sight, I'm wondering if there are alternatives.
Thanks.

x0ffr0adtac0x
04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
saw new coilovers are nickle plated but the older ones can corrode over time, and think they are now available

Donahoe
04-25-2005, 02:52 PM
saw new coilovers are nickle plated but the older ones can corrode over time, and think they are now available

Nickle plating is not any better.. Its just looks cool comming out of the box.

We are doing lots of testing on the Extream Weather plating right now and should have some answers for your guys in the next week or so.

hope that helps

Bryanccfshr
04-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I am watching with some interest.

masst1
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply.
If the extreme plated donahoes are available soon that's what I'll get, but if not, are the standard Donahoes any more or less resistant than the other available products? Does anyone from the Snow belt have experience they are willing to share about the various products.
Thanks.

wisctaco04
04-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the reply.
If the extreme plated donahoes are available soon that's what I'll get, but if not, are the standard Donahoes any more or less resistant than the other available products? Does anyone from the Snow belt have experience they are willing to share about the various products.
Thanks.
My adjusting collars on the Hoes are seized after one winter. The shaft is still shiny new though. I should have applied anti-seize instead of synthetic grease. I will be taking them off soon to free up and coat properly. There is just not enough room to with the coils on the truck to use the spanner wrench or I would have free'd them already. If you take the rig to the wash after a good road salting you should have no ill effects.

rojodiablo
04-25-2005, 10:11 PM
WD40. Spray your stuff oftenif the road is salted, nasty. It makes cleaning easier after a mud run, too.

wisctaco04
04-26-2005, 07:24 AM
WD40. Spray your stuff oftenif the road is salted, nasty. It makes cleaning easier after a mud run, too.
No thanks. That shiat collects more dust that by great great dead granmothers puss... I have damaged seals on cycles before from the dust acting like fine grit sandpaper. I think I'll pass and just keep going the frequent winter car wash route. If you have any suggestions how to keep my window from freezing shut I may use that tip.

Triple BB
04-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Nickle plating does corrode in the form of surface rust. My new SAWS are easily cleaned. The first generation SAWS I had corroded ugly with our winter conditions. I also have a set of Bilsteins that are new in the box. And I helped a friend install some Hoes awhile back. Out of all of them, only the Bil's specifically instructed to coat the threads with anti-seize. My SAWS are gooped with the stuff. On my first generation SAWS, I was going to mark where the collars sat, then take them apart and have the cans up to that mark, Line-x'd. A local dealer was going to do it for $25. Figured it was better than looking at those heinous corroded tubes. Luckily they suffered a manufacturer defect and SAW took them back and I was able to get the new version from a supplier.

masst1
05-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Thank you for the information regarding the antiseize. Are there any other opinions/experience out there regarding this issue?

masst1
05-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Is there any additional information on a release date for the plated donahoes?

Triple BB
05-27-2005, 10:04 PM
I was checking out my SAW's the other day and I did see some surface rust. A little rust jelly and they're shining again.
-
Kreg if you're reading this, you need to make your cans out of stainless or the same metal that Bilstein uses on their shocks. They use a lot of nasty chemicals on our winter streets. I was checking out my Bilstein 5100 rear shocks and other than being dull from lots of surface road grime, they show no signs of rust. With a little polishing, they still look nice.