: Liberty Toy and Rear Leaf Springs

Gargoyle
01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Long story:
I just took my truck in to Liberty Toyota yesterday for the regular oil change. After declining to pay $250 for the 30k service I noted my intermittent marker lamp, the loose wiper arm, and the "sagging" rear end to the service guy (I have twice already had them “fix” my squeaking rear springs). My rear leaf problem has not been real noticeable but I am familiar with the TSB and the truck is at 32k miles with the TSB expiring at 36k. The service advisor asked if the marker lamp was the problem, would it be OK to go ahead and replace the bulb and I accepted.
So one-and-a-half hours later, I went to get the report and cash out (should be free or nearly so since I had the pre-paid oil change). I received word that the lamp was replaced. Then in regard to the springs Gary said: "You have an after-market lift on the front and since the TSB requires replacement of the front shocks as well as the rear springs and shocks, we can not do the replacement." Now I am familiar with the fact that they can not use any after-market mod as an excuse for not fixing a problem (as long as it is unrelated to the warrantee service). I am also aware that the actual TSB states that a TRD truck does not require the replacement of any shocks since those trucks already came with Bilsteins. I did not want to take this up with Gary right there so I went to check out, expecting $5-$10 for the bulb and replacement. Well I got a little upset when the charge was $29.29! $9.60 for the bulb, $18.00 for labor, and $0.90 for haz waste/misc supplies for repair.
For me to do the work it would have been $3.97 at Advanced for the bulb, about 15 seconds to get the connector out, probably 10 seconds to replace the bulb, and 20 seconds to twist the connector back in (this is simply a twist connect to the back of the lens assembly with at wedge-base bulb), ending with a quick deposit to the trash can.
Additional information for the rear spring issue was noted on the receipt: "check the rear springs. seems they are sagging"--that was my prompt, their answer: "32563 front is lifted aftermarket rear is stock".
OK, how reasonable should it be for me to pre-authorize $30 for a bulb replacement? Does anyone know someone I can talk to down at Liberty so I don’t have to boil my blood over the rear spring issue? I am expecting to talk with the service manager and get it straitened out, but I thought I would look for some advice first.
Thanks,
Marty

Son of Mayhem
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Kick em' in the nuts! I haven't had issues with the service, they did some stuff on the side for me for real cheap. If both toyota dealers are connected ask to speak with the Service director. He will get you squared away:D

sardi55
01-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I had a similar problem with Burt Toyota and after trying to get through to them that i wanted the springs replaced i just got fed up with it and called toyota and filed a complaint that number if you wanna give it a shot is 800-331-4331 after i filed a complaint i called the customer relations manager at Burt with the case number from toyota and they had my truck in the next day, now i have it back with actually a slight lift in the back and it feels great.hope this helps.

thefatkid
01-31-2008, 09:25 AM
I had a similar problem with Burt Toyota and after trying to get through to them that i wanted the springs replaced i just got fed up with it and called toyota and filed a complaint that number if you wanna give it a shot is 800-331-4331 after i filed a complaint i called the customer relations manager at Burt with the case number from toyota and they had my truck in the next day, now i have it back with actually a slight lift in the back and it feels great.hope this helps.

Not exactly, your springs were ordered but the kansas wearhouse marked the springs wrong. I recived 2 lefthand springs by the spring markings but the part numbers were for a right and a lefthand spring. I noticed this and would not install the wrong parts on your truck, others might have missed this. We held you truck till the new springs could be recived to save you the hassel, I'm not sure how the writer (nikki) handled this though.

Your call to toyota was in refrence to the hesitation issue and running funny (that is what they told us at least). I hope that I explained it well enough for you. These newer drive by wire trucks feel funny when first stepping on the throttle, this is amplified by a manual tranny. If you have any more questions about it PM me and I will help out.

PS you need rock sliders and real skid plates before you cause any more damage. I had to bend your skid plate off of your cv to stop it from rubbing.

sardi55
01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
the problem wasn't with having them installed it was trying to even get the service writer to look into replacing the springs. if you were the tech that did it compliments, you did a great job the truck feels awesome, and your right i do need better protection i just can't afford it right now and i don't have the mechanical knowledge to build anything for it. I have nothad a problem with the work that has been done at Burt just the quality of service given by the service writers and the customer relations manager. I know that you have nothing to do with that or them so don't take what i said as a knock against the techs or the actual services performed, they have all been great.:)
p.s. was it the cheap alluminum skid plate or the actual one underneath that got in the way? i have been thinking about taking off the alluminum one anyway unless you could recommend something else, thanks.

thefatkid
01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
This TSB is worded funny and the writers get confused by it. I tell her to order the parts if.....

The customer is ok with the possibility of,

stiffer unloaded ride

slight driveline vibration

increased "rake"

I think some of that gets lost in communication with somone who is not very techincial (most writers are not). Toyota does say in this case no swap backs (I'm sure if somone really complained they would swap back though).

Gargoyle PM me and I can most likely work somthing if you bring it to Burt.

Gargoyle
01-31-2008, 08:44 PM
... Gargoyle PM me and I can most likely work somthing if you bring it to Burt.
Thanks for the offer. My current status is that I contacted Liberty's Customer Relations Manager (Emily Griggs) and she reviewed my issue with their Assistant Service Manager (Gary Haines). After their discussion, Gary called me to clarify the issue on Tuesday. We talked about the situation--initially wanting me to bring the truck in again for "inspection." After I noted that I did not really want to bring it in for a full day to inspect and then have to bring it in for a second day later for the actual repair, he said he would try to get the parts before having the truck in. I received a message from him yesterday that the parts are ordered and should be in on Monday, and that he would be happy to do the service then.
I will keep you posted on how this turns out. Currently they are doing a good job on the rebound.
The $30 light bulb change did not seem to phase Emily--she said she would discuss with the service folk the idea of giving an estimate before asking for preauthorization. OK, but no pang of guilt with charging so much money for so little work?

Gargoyle
01-31-2008, 09:08 PM
... increased "rake" ...
BTW thefatkid, you note the increased rake. How much does this new leaf spring realy change the stance of the truck? With my Donahoes, I currently have about 1.75" of front-end lift over stock. I am thinking that the new springs will act to level the truck back out if they actually provide some rear-end lift. Not that "lift" is my intention. I just want to get a proper set of springs back there before I roll over 36k.
I had noted many times the "squeek" problem, which they would fix, only to have the squeeks return again a month later. Once they even promised to order the shims (from another TSB?) and would call to have the truck in for that service, but they never called back.

sardi55
02-01-2008, 09:43 AM
you would have to ask thefatkid for sure but when i got my truck back it seemed to sit about an inch higher in the back than it previously had.

thefatkid
02-01-2008, 11:05 AM
The trucks I've done have about 1/2" to 3/4" increase in height. The 2 leaf packs are squeaky, they have slipper pads to "cure the squeak", not sure they do though.

Gargoyle
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I received a call on Friday that the parts were in for the TSB. I received a "confirmation" call on Monday that I had a 09:00 appointment on Tuesday (that I did not make, but OK) for the service. I dropped it off today and by 14:00 the replacement was done!
Good for Liberty. This is more like what I had expected from a good Toyota dealer and other than the $30 light bulb change, I am a satisfied customer. At this point I would recommend these guys for their customer service.
BTW, the truck does look like it gained a slight lift in the rear.
--Marty