: supercharger and spacers or coilovers, full leaf, new shocks? what would you do?

ck_taco
04-26-2005, 11:47 AM
OK, I have a '01 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Ext cab, and about $3000 to spend. I almost never go off-road, but am wanting to lift the truck slightly (I'm thinking about 3 inches) to fit new BFG 285/75s on Ivan Stewart TRD rims. That being said, I am debating whether to go with Donahoe coilovers, Deaver 8 leaf, and new Bilsteins, or do I go cheap on the lift and get spacers, and use the extra for a TRD supercharger and URD fuel kit. I know that spacers will stiffen the ride, but for those that have them, is it drastically stiffer than stock? I really don't think the stock ride is too bad. Although it does tend to hop ocassionally. I would like the nice ride, but more power is always a good thing too. Also, is it required that I run premium gas with a super charger?

If this were you, what would you do??? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Bear
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
I can't speak about the donahoe's and deavers since I only have a spacer and add a leaf. I have always had this type of lift and never felt the difference was that much over stock. and that is with progressive front coils. the way I feel about it is this "it's a truck" if you want a caddy ride, go buy a caddy!

With that being said, I did add a supercharger with my spacer lift and love my truck with the added power. But I am not the type that goes to every light looking to pick on every ricer I see. I just like the added power which is also going to help when I finish with my SAS.

But only you can decide if you want a smooth ride over power. If it were me, I would do what I did all over again, except maybe go straight to a solid axle instead of a shorter lift. Because one you start lifting, you will never be tall enough or be able to flex as much as you want to.

Breathegood
04-26-2005, 02:18 PM
If you almost never go offroad, start with the S/C and URD kit. That will eat up most of your budget, but you will be happy with your very capable, very fast Taco. If you get a lift and tires just for the looks, you will still be wanting the S/C. Especially if you jump to 285/75/16 tires. That is a big enough tire size jump from stock to justify regearing, and since you're looking at Ivan Stewart wheels and arguably the best suspension lift available, I doubt you'll find lift+tires+wheels plus regearing for under $3000. Others may dissagree, but I would rather have a truck that looks like a lab and runs like a cheetah, than a truck that looks like a rotweiler and runs like a pregnant hippo.

ck_taco
04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
If you almost never go offroad, start with the S/C and URD kit. That will eat up most of your budget, but you will be happy with your very capable, very fast Taco. If you get a lift and tires just for the looks, you will still be wanting the S/C. Especially if you jump to 285/75/16 tires. That is a big enough tire size jump from stock to justify regearing, and since you're looking at Ivan Stewart wheels and arguably the best suspension lift available, I doubt you'll find lift+tires+wheels plus regearing for under $3000. Others may dissagree, but I would rather have a truck that looks like a lab and runs like a cheetah, than a truck that looks like a rotweiler and runs like a pregnant hippo.

Great analogies!! Thanks for the input!

04RedLobster
05-05-2005, 05:03 PM
if you really don't go off-roading often...go witht he spacer lift...i have it on TRD coils..which stiffen up ur ride like crazy..but i have no clue what everyone is talking about because i feel my truck rides a lot smoother....on and off...save the money and go with the spacers lift than the supercharger and so on....tires can always wait...since you don't off-road as much....

Donahoes will be great with the deavers combo...but they are more of a desert running use....it all depends on what you decide to do with ur tacoma!

SAR_Squid79
05-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I am in the same boat. I have about $3000 to put into my truck for right now. I am planning on a ToyTec 3" Spacer Lift, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, TRD Headers, a Cat-Back system (not sure which one yet), the TRD automatic Trans Cooler, and the Demello Rock Sliders. I know that I will be coming up on another $3000 in December, and I was going to use that to get my S/C and TRD 7th injector kit.
Does this seem pretty sound?

Breathegood
05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
I am in the same boat. I have about $3000 to put into my truck for right now. I am planning on a ToyTec 3" Spacer Lift, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, TRD Headers, a Cat-Back system (not sure which one yet), the TRD automatic Trans Cooler, and the Demello Rock Sliders. I know that I will be coming up on another $3000 in December, and I was going to use that to get my S/C and TRD 7th injector kit.
Does this seem pretty sound?
No it doesn't seem pretty sound IMO. Get the super charger and fuel mods or seventh injector first!!! I put the headers and cat-back on my truck with the intent of doing the S/C later, and have regretted it ever since. Don't count on money in December. If you really want the S/C, do it while you have the money, because all that other stuff is cheap in comparison on a piece by piece basis. If you wheel it hard and need a lift that's one thing, but these trucks are damn capable in stock form. Headers and cat-back do provide some performance gain, but the price per pony ratio is horrible compaired to the supercharger. And I guaranty that having a supercharged truck with stock suspension will put a much bigger smile on your face evertime you mash the accelerator than spacers, headers, cat-back, and electric fan ever will.