: Lafayette Fab Sessions

brinner
02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Seeing as how there are now.......4 plus members in the Lafayette area (me, Jason, Brian, and Dustin) and the recent rash of projects involving the welder and band saw i figured i would at least start a thread to let others know about whats going on.

DN1911
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
i am willing to help anyway possible, also i can get tubing at decent price thru our vendor, even better depending on how much we order.

DN1911
02-04-2008, 06:46 PM
ok, so my Welder and tool-box are going to be moved to Indy for now. so the drve is a little farther but the good news is that my buddy down the road has a bender with 1 1/2 pipe die and other fab tools. i am going to look into buying a tube bender of my own or at least a tube die for his so that i can bend 1 3/4 DOM or 1 3/4 .095 4130 tubing after i get a TIG machine.

brinner
02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Jason,

4' X 4' -3/16" Carbon Steel (CS) Plate : $.55 per pound @ 7.66 lbs per sq. ft.

1.5" X 1.5" HREW CS Square Tube: $.73 per pound @ 2.210 lbs per ft.

I got a calculator.....give me a second.........

:xsmash::banghead: :aahg: :redx: :fart:

comes out to..........
for your (2) sheets of 3/16" steel plate : $134.82 (its heavy)
and 8' of square tube : $12.91 (its thin wall stuff so its pretty light...compared to what i used :D )

brinner
02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
ok, so my Welder and tool-box are going to be moved to Indy for now. so the drve is a little farther but the good news is that my buddy down the road has a bender with 1 1/2 pipe die and other fab tools. i am going to look into buying a tube bender of my own or at least a tube die for his so that i can bend 1 3/4 DOM or 1 3/4 .095 4130 tubing after i get a TIG machine.

:D What apt number are you? Im 1403

DN1911
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
my apt. number is 1412 i think?............yea, that's it. had to double check. i hate moving. takes for ever to learn the new area.

brinner
02-07-2008, 07:09 AM
well just let me know and i will place the order for you....with this stuff i would expect them to have it in stock so it would just be a matter of paying for it and picking it up. (which could be possible in the same day)

DN1911
02-07-2008, 06:04 PM
where do you guys get your steel from?

when i was at the Fab shop we used a company on the north side of Indy called AED motorsports. they were a specialty metals shop that handles DOM, 4130, some HREW, and anything else you can think of. http://www.aedmotorsport.com/

i can probably get special pricing going thru my old account from the fab shop or i will aslo give them a call and see if we can get some type of club discount.

jason6746
02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
where do you guys get your steel from?

when i was at the Fab shop we used a company on the north side of Indy called AED motorsports. they were a specialty metals shop that handles DOM, 4130, some HREW, and anything else you can think of. http://www.aedmotorsport.com/

i can probably get special pricing going thru my old account from the fab shop or i will aslo give them a call and see if we can get some type of club discount.

brian got those prices at the purdue metal shop or something like that.
but if you want some comparisons prices would not hurt anything.

brinner
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
yeah if you can get it cheaper somewhere else....im all for it. Hey jason, can i use your Garage this sunday around 5-ish. In my old age im getting soft and dont want to change my oil on the cold...slanted....wet parking lot.

Bear
02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
:xcrybaby: Whaaaaaa:xcrybaby:

you need a whambulance??????

Hopefully my axle shaft is waiting on me when I get home tonight. and no matter what the weather is going to be like this weekend, I am fixing my damn truck…outside!!!!!

:D
;)

jason6746
02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
yeah if you can get it cheaper somewhere else....im all for it. Hey jason, can i use your Garage this sunday around 5-ish. In my old age im getting soft and dont want to change my oil on the cold...slanted....wet parking lot.

sure no problem call me to let me know.
but only if you order a case of amsoil.:D
j/k
but really, if you want to try it let me know.

brinner
02-08-2008, 04:47 PM
sure no problem call me to let me know.
but only if you order a case of amsoil.:D
j/k
but really, if you want to try it let me know.

get me some amsoil gear oil and ill put it in my rear diff. how much would say.....2 quarts run?

jason6746
02-08-2008, 05:02 PM
75w-90 severe gear synthetic 11.85$

jason6746
02-08-2008, 05:07 PM
maybe alittle less ill probly order a case

brinner
02-10-2008, 04:11 PM
well, a big thanks to Jason, i got my oil changed, the old skid off, another piece cut for my new skid and some firewood chopped. Brian even showed up towards the end.

brinner
02-11-2008, 11:05 AM
alright, just called Copperhead Fab, they said the tubes for the sliders would be in on Wed., and i expect the spacers sometime this week from Inchworm. (long story short, i went with the 1.25" spacers from Inchworm instead of the 1.5" spacers from All-Pro). Sooooo, next i need to run down to Dave's and pick up the other slider parts that are in his dungeon. Then i need to cut the outer tubes and start welding.

Dustin, if i get the sliders cut and all ready for welding, is there a chance i could weld them up (or you could, doesnt matter to me) this sunday?( it would have to be this sunday or the weekend after this coming weekend.)

Jason, sssoooooo yeah given that the tubes come in on Wed. can i come freeze my arse off and use your bandsaw i guess that would be....Sat.? oh yeah and just lettin' yeah know ill be placing the order for you tomorrow sometime up at the Purdue shop.

jason6746
02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Jason, sssoooooo yeah given that the tubes come in on Wed. can i come freeze my arse off and use your bandsaw i guess that would be....Sat.? oh yeah and just lettin' yeah know ill be placing the order for you tomorrow sometime up at the Purdue shop.

i will probly work saturday morning, but we could do something in the afternoon. we could staart welding here to if you want.
and thanks for getting that steel, that will start a nice project for my truck.

DN1911
02-12-2008, 08:43 AM
my welder isn't set up at is moment, but a buddy has one that is. if i can't get mine rady we should be able to use his, both are in Indy, hope that isn't to much of a problem. i may have to work Sun morning but usually off by 3:00

brinner
02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
sounds good, lets see how things pan out this week and by about thurs. i should know whats goin on.

brinner
02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Jason,

order placed, obviously ill need the money before pickup, pickup is friday at 10, ill drop it off after i get done with work.....around 6-ish?

jason6746
02-13-2008, 06:25 PM
oh you want money huh. :eek:

just kidding i will get a hold of you tomorrow. thanks:D

jason6746
02-14-2008, 06:11 PM
saturday will be a no go for me sorry. if you want to do somthing sunday i'll be game for that.
oh and your old skid was gone in about 2 hours.:lmao:

DN1911
02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
i think i am good to go for sunday also but my stuff is in Indy if nothing is available closer. just let me know.

brinner
02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
This just made me lose ALL respect for FedEx that i had (which was alot):

Brian,

Fedex has your package in your home town, but they cant find your address.

--Copperhead Fab

------The funny part.........I LIVE IN THE APT. COMPLEX ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE FedEx WAREHOUSE!!!!!! You could literally use a catapult from the midevil era and hurl the tubes to my front door!

brinner
02-15-2008, 01:09 PM
i think i am good to go for sunday also but my stuff is in Indy if nothing is available closer. just let me know.

Dustin,

got the tubes in, looks like a maximum of 2 hours to get them notched properly for my main bars.....so hows aboot we try for next sunday?(that works better for me) If you want just come by tonight after you get off work (1403), so you can take a look at what all needs to be welded.

Jason,

mind if i use the bandsaw sunday?

jason6746
02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
sundays good, i'll try to get the cobwebs shook out by then.
around noonish is good for me.

brinner
02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
alright but if your feeling worse on sunday then im going back home cause i dont want :wife:........doing fab work aint THAT important to me right now.

jason6746
02-15-2008, 02:44 PM
i'll be okay by then

Bear
02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey D-A-V-E !!!!!!!

I forgot I am going to need to build a new battery tie down for the new "batchree". actually two tie downs! One for the temporary set up for the single battery, and the second for my dual "batchree" set up.

I am thinking of making the base plate large enough for both batteries (yes I actually can spell it) but maybe two top plates, one for the single set up and one for the dual set up.

I am also thinking that your rear bumper design will probably come to life before take over instead of after. can you get a cut list for me on it, so I can start pricing out the tubing.

Dustin if you read this post, do you think I might be able to come up and borrow some bender time from you?Probably not until next month sometime, but I thought I would make my request well in advance.

bstoocool
02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
I hope that you guys can get something done without me there watching, because I gots things to do.

brinner
02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
uuuuuummmmmmmm im pretty sure i wont be able to operate a bandsaw without knowing that your there uhhhh "managing" or ...."supervising". which way to i flip the on switch? up or down? and i put the metal to be cut underneath the blade or do i put my arm underneath the blade? :D

bstoocool
02-15-2008, 04:38 PM
I am great at supervision, but the working thing I have not figured out as much.

brinner
02-18-2008, 11:10 AM
alright, managed to get the sliders all cut to fit.....despite the hectic events of the day. One slider will have to be pretty skillfully welded as there is about a 1/8" to 3/16" gap to fill...but im not too worried about it. Sooooo, Dustin....hows the welder access looking for this coming weekend?

Bear
02-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Don't forget we have a meeting on Sunday! (friendly reminder over)

brinner
02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
yeah i was kinda hoping that i could get them done on sat. then obviously the meeting on sun.

DN1911
02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
i have to work Sat. but i am off all day Sun. if we head down in the morning we would be done in time for the meeting, no problem. i am going to be getting my welding gas sorted out tomorrow, hopefully, and i think i have an electrician coming to wire it up. again worse case we go my buddies.

also the 3/16 gap is a walk in the park.

brinner
02-19-2008, 07:31 AM
yeah, sunday sounds better. we can just plan on doing that then. That way i can get a shight ton of school work done on sat. (somehow my professor thought it would be funny if i had to grade a 76 question long lab exam on a per letter scale......(im searching for the right smiley but i dont think they have one for getting butt-raped)

brinner
02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Jason,

......yup, its about that time again......ive been to pirate, printed off a couple of posts dealing with elocker removal. And rear axle removal.....sooooo maybe this weekend. This has the potential for my truck being out of service, so its more of the space that my truck would occupy during the following week if things go bad. (if i get things apart and look at the locker and cant figure it out, ill just put everything back together and try again with a new part) In my head........the plan is to disconnect the ebrake, remove and plug the brake lines, pull the axles, pull the elocker, diagnose and 'fix' the elocker as per the instructions i printed off from Pirate, put the elocker back in, axles in, unplug brake lines and reattach, hook up ebrake, drive home, shower, then get completely wasted cause i hate electronic work!

......or at least thats how i WANT it to happen.......how it will probably happen:

wake up late, drive over to your garage, snap the ebrake line, spill brake fluid all over your floor, sawzall the axles off....with the tires on the hub, get drunk, smash the elocker with a 10 lbs sledge, JB weld everything into a heap of parts, take newly formed heap of parts and sell it as "Modern Impressionistic Art" for 50,000 dollars, leave the remainder of the truck in your alley for the scrap monkeys then buy a new Taco and put an ARB in it.

.....sooooo are you game this weekend?

Bear
02-25-2008, 09:58 AM
what creativity! I didn't know you had it in you. :D

In all reality though (considering I do not have a TRD axle nor electric crap locking my axle) removing the rear gears is not very hard. It might take you all of 30 minutes to remove things that are needed and those parts are very elementary on how to remove. no having to hold your jaw a certain way or legs crossed while sliding the shafts out. Pretty straight forward.

Now when you get to the locker, I am not going to be able to tell you exactly what it entails, go by your pirate literature.

One note though, when you slide your axle shafts out to remove the carrier (if you are diving that deep into it) don't let the axle shafts "hang out of the tubes for very long. They will warp your seals and if that happens you will be back inside the axle within a week replacing those which can be a pain in the "Brian".

jason6746
02-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Jason,

wake up late, drive over to your garage, snap the ebrake line, spill brake fluid all over your floor, sawzall the axles off....with the tires on the hub, get drunk, smash the elocker with a 10 lbs sledge, JB weld everything into a heap of parts, take newly formed heap of parts and sell it as "Modern Impressionistic Art" for 50,000 dollars, leave the remainder of the truck in your alley for the scrap monkeys then buy a new Taco and put an ARB in it.

.....sooooo are you game this weekend?

i can do that this weekend ill let you know what day is better, if you prefer one day to the other let me know.
also i have a case of amsoil gear oil coming that should be here this weekend if you want to use it.
10.50 a quart.

the other brian was wanting to change his cv boots this weekend to.so i could have two trucks sitting in the alley for the scrap monkeys:D

bstoocool
02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I hope only white toyotas make the heap for the monkeys.

DN1911
02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
before you go pullin the diff i think some research time with a test lead would be good. don't really know all of what is going on but t seeing that it might be electrical since the light would activate plugged into the fuse but not straight to the battery. if the light is coming on but still no locker i guess it could be in the unit itself, but we should be able to see if it has power at the rear to help determine what is going on. if power is there then i would say pull the unit and fix it the right way..................:welder:

bstoocool
02-27-2008, 07:07 AM
I think the CV's are going to have to wait until next weekend. I think Saturday and Saturday night at the supercross might do me in for the weekend.:xrocker: :xbeer1:

brinner
02-27-2008, 09:10 AM
before you go pullin the diff i think some research time with a test lead would be good. don't really know all of what is going on but t seeing that it might be electrical since the light would activate plugged into the fuse but not straight to the battery. if the light is coming on but still no locker i guess it could be in the unit itself, but we should be able to see if it has power at the rear to help determine what is going on. if power is there then i would say pull the unit and fix it the right way..................:welder:

thats the first thing i plan on doing in his garage, before i even THINK about pulling the 3rd memeber.

brinner
02-27-2008, 09:11 AM
i can do that this weekend ill let you know what day is better, if you prefer one day to the other let me know.
also i have a case of amsoil gear oil coming that should be here this weekend if you want to use it.
10.50 a quart.

the other brian was wanting to change his cv boots this weekend to.so i could have two trucks sitting in the alley for the scrap monkeys:D

sounds good, just let me know either sat. or sun. b/c sunday just might work better for me too.

brinner
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
sunday is going to be better for me, i have a hot date on saturday and a vet. appointment at 1030 (trust me, the two are NOT related :missingto )

jason6746
02-27-2008, 03:57 PM
sunday is going to be better for me, i have a hot date on saturday and a vet. appointment at 1030 (trust me, the two are NOT related :missingto )

sure there not
but yeh sunday is good, i'll have the sledge hammer warmed up.

brinner
03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
im gonna wake up about 7 then get there by 8, two things...1) im not worried about getting there early cause your always up early 2) im going to be moving pretty fast, (we're pretty good about not BS-ing too much anyway). If i can i want to get the motor pulled by 9, fixed by 11 and in by 12. If it turns out i need to pull the whole thing, then ill have to step back and decide if i want to do that this sunday or next sunday.

jason6746
03-01-2008, 07:20 PM
im gonna wake up about 7 then get there by 8, two things...1) im not worried about getting there early cause your always up early 2) im going to be moving pretty fast, (we're pretty good about not BS-ing too much anyway). If i can i want to get the motor pulled by 9, fixed by 11 and in by 12. If it turns out i need to pull the whole thing, then ill have to step back and decide if i want to do that this sunday or next sunday.

sounds good see you in the morn.

brinner
03-03-2008, 09:47 AM
just printed of step by step instructions from a service manual with exploded views of the actuator and the entire rear axle. You wanna know why it wasnt coming out? We unbolted 3............there are a total of 4 holding the thing in there! you wanna guess which side the 4th bolt was on? THATS RIGHT............. the side that was sticking. Im pissed, and im also going to unbolt the 4th and pull it this weekend. Then it should either be a case of a bad motor or a bind in the gear mechanism.

Bear
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I guess that answers my question I was going to ask…So you were not able to get your axle fixed huh?

Join the crowd! I have still not been able to get my truck in the shop to have it finished up! but that is because Chris has been busy!

Let me know if you need anything I might possibly be able to help with.

:xofftopic check out the "website" Joe has it almost finished and we should be going live here in the next day or two. Then our fun really begins

brinner
03-03-2008, 10:44 AM
will do...just did, and everything looks good, the links work, the spelling seems good, and the info looks good.

Bear
03-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I am having him re-word some of the rating stuff, but other than that, I am liking it.

also made a last minute design suggestion, but if it makes it great, if it does not…great also

jason6746
03-03-2008, 03:04 PM
just printed of step by step instructions from a service manual with exploded views of the actuator and the entire rear axle. You wanna know why it wasnt coming out? We unbolted 3............there are a total of 4 holding the thing in there! you wanna guess which side the 4th bolt was on? THATS RIGHT............. the side that was sticking. Im pissed, and im also going to unbolt the 4th and pull it this weekend. Then it should either be a case of a bad motor or a bind in the gear mechanism.

where was there room any more bolts. and how could we not see that.
it would probly help to take them all out.
well maybe we should all get our eyes checked.