: Blinking Rear Diff Lock light....

WILLYCAD
04-28-2005, 09:59 AM
I recently went through some water (deeper than normal), but not really deep, maybe 12-18". Now my Rear Diff Light will not stay lit, just blinks. I am not sure if the rear diff is locking or not - I assume not. Any ideas?

WILD YOTE
04-28-2005, 10:07 AM
I recently went through some water (deeper than normal), but not really deep, maybe 12-18". Now my Rear Diff Light will not stay lit, just blinks. I am not sure if the rear diff is locking or not - I assume not. Any ideas?

Try cleaning the connectors and everything readily accessible. If that doesnt work you might have to take the locker out and clean the inside of it. :2cents:

WILLYCAD
04-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Now when you say "Take the locker out and clean the inside of it" - pardon my lack of technical knowledge about this but, what am I "taking out" exactly?

atwinda
04-28-2005, 10:49 AM
There is a total of 3 or 4 bolts holding the locker motor onto the 3rd member. disconnect the wires going to the motor, remove the bolts and remove the locker motor. There is a threaded screw which will most likely be gunked up. clean what you can off it, and reassemble.

WILD YOTE
04-28-2005, 10:51 AM
There is a total of 3 or 4 bolts holding the locker motor onto the 3rd member. disconnect the wires going to the motor, remove the bolts and remove the locker motor. There is a threaded screw which will most likely be gunked up. clean what you can off it, and reassemble.

Yeah, what he said :p

tanKoma
04-28-2005, 12:44 PM
honestly i think toyota took these actuator motors off RC cars

Dick Foster
04-28-2005, 12:49 PM
You do realize that there is a certian procedure that has to be followed to reinstall the actuator don't you? If not done correctly, it will almost never work unless removed and re installed properly.

WILLYCAD
04-28-2005, 12:50 PM
OK, so what is the procedure?

Dick Foster
04-28-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't think either of you guys have ever taken one totally apart or know how it really works. The way it's designed. the motor doesn't have to be very large because it's geared down twice. The motor has a worm gear that drives a much larger spur gear which in turn turns a tiny little pinion gear that then drives the rack gear which is attached to the shift fork. All it has to do is slide a splined cylinder about an inch or so.