: I need a Clutch...and some HELP!

Quick Draw
02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
My clutch is slipping real bad on accel as of today. So I'm going to be needing a hand getting a new one in ASAP. I haven't decided whether to get help from my cousin that's a diesel mechanic, HOW, or what... Anybody want to lend a hand? I will try and track down some parts ASAP.... Then the rest is just trying to get a day that I'm free...

hanksyota
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
im more than happy to help kyle. i did a clutch in my celica years ago with my dad. PITA!!! i have some tools and would be happy to spend a weekend day or a weekend helpin out.

Quick Draw
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Henry. When are you available? I might try for Saturday...and leave Sunday open in the event of a problem...

Mythica
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I just did mine.

make sure that you get a clutch alignment tool, they dont included it when you buy the parts from toyota.

I had to make my own out of two sockets. 8mm deep and a 3/4"

It wasnt that hard to do, make sure that you secure the Clutch "piston assemly"(i dont know what it is really called) before you take the tranny out, otherwise it will extend and its a pain to get it back together. I had to open the cylinder up and remove the fluid and re-bleed the system. If you keep it from extending you really dont need to bleed afterwards.

Good luck!

Tug
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Im in Wesminster, if I thought there was anything I could do to help I would but when it comes to mechanics Im lost.

Hope everything works out.

Lysmachia
02-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Also a pilot bearing puller. They often break when trying to get the clutch off. You rent a puller (free with deposit) from Vato zone and what not. Since Wyoming is canceled we are here this weekend. However due to gas maybe we should come help you at your place or Henry's? We could maybe start friday night...

hanksyota
02-12-2008, 02:03 PM
i can help you saturday and sunday for sure. i dont have any plans and i will leave the weekend open to help. im no pro, but an extra set of hands always helps. you have a haynes/chiltons or somethin to get er done?

poorboyota26
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Depends on what the wife says but......I'm in. I've done a few on the second gen's. Only one 3rd gen though. That pilot bearing and clutch alignment tool are essential. I remember buying a clutch from like Vato zone that had the alignment tool in it but it was broken. Go figure.

I work nights so I can either take the night shift (but am usually up on sat and sunday) or work on it friday or something. Got lots of tools I could bring. Maybe even an Air compressor (if I can dig it out) and air tools (makes it so much easier).

Mythica
02-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Also a pilot bearing puller. They often break when trying to get the clutch off. You rent a puller (free with deposit) from Vato zone and what not. Since Wyoming is canceled we are here this weekend. However due to gas maybe we should come help you at your place or Henry's? We could maybe start friday night...

The puller I got from auto zone did not work. It would not get small enough to pull out that tiny bearing. I have done a lot of tranny work and that has to be the smallest bearing Toyota could have possibly used ... :rolleyes:

The best bet is too pack the bearing area with heave grease and hydraulically push it out.

I filled the cavity with heavy grease and got a steel rod that fit just inside the pilot bearing (an 8mm deep socket with the hole plugged would have worked too) . Then lightly tap the rod until the bearing pops out, keep your head out of the way because mine popped way out. You may need to repack the cavity a few times before there is enough grease to push it out.

Once the bearing is out make sure to clean all the grease out of the cavity before putting the new bearing in.

Lysmachia
02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
What about the newspaper trick to get the bearing out? I have no idea what iut is but I've heard about it and that it works. Anyone? (It's prolly like your suggestion Mythica)

RedRunnertc
02-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah, when I did mine, I forgot about that and ended up taking ALL DAY to get the pilot bearing out.

I have a clutch alignment tool from mine if you need one.

Tranny jack is very helpful. About 4 feet (yes, really) worth of extension is NECESSARY to get the top bolts.

Be VERY careful putting the pilot bearing back in. Use a block of wood and tap it in VERY square and VERY carefully. The last thing you want to do is have to take all that apart again to replace a bad pilot bearing.

You might want to replace the rear main seal while you have it all apart.

Lastly - how many miles are on this truck kid? My clutch lasted like 200k miles ... might want to evaluate how you drive!

Oh - I went with the Marlin Crawler clutch kit.

AxleIke
02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Tranny jack is very helpful. About 4 feet (yes, really) worth of extension is NECESSARY to get the top bolts.

Hard to say.

3.4 is a MUCH better designed engine. IIRC, you can reach them from the top.

Mythica
02-12-2008, 07:26 PM
i could reach my top two tranny bolts from the wheel well with a swivel socket, pain in the arse, but it reaches. 3.4l

A tranny jack would have been nice, but the tranny weighs next to nothing, even with my crawler on the back it weighs FAR less than an NP435 or a t18/19. My brother and i man handled it back in there.

If you have never changed a clutch, make sure that you keep the tranny in gear when you go to stab it (you have to take off the shifter, put it in gear first, even though you can select gears with out the shifter, its easier if you already have it in gear). You will need to turn the output shaft inorder to line up the splines on the input shaft.

I havent heard of the newspaper trick, Molly. If it is like the greasy hydrulic trick then it might be better, and less messy. What is the idea behind it? Stuff a bunch of paper in there, and then use a push rod and push out the bearing from the back with the paper?

As far as mileage(im curious how many QD has too), i was sad to see my stock clutch go at 115k, it was in beautiful shape, but i had to put the crawler in so.. well i didnt want to take all that crap off later so i ate the money and got a factory clutch. :eek:

Quick Draw
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
My mileage is at 176k. I believe that it is the stock clutch, but I don't really have any way of knowing. Troy, the clutch seemed like it was almost done when I got the truck back in July. I've put 8,000 miles on it. I'm pretty easy on my clutch, for the most part, except for a few isolated incidents. Alex however, is not...she drove it once and glazed the hell out of it. Regardless, driving it extremely carefully probably would have only given me about another 3,000 miles. It was done for anyway. The history of the truck is largely unknown with 176k, only 8 of them mine. It seems silly to blame the failure on me...:rolleyes:

Mythica
02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
lol good excuse. Your a high school student right?........ ;)

But anyway, you wont have a problem changing the clutch once you get in there and do it.

Just take your time and pay attention and you will be in good shape :)

Lysmachia
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
It seems silly to blame the failure on me...:rolleyes:

Come on now Kyle... he wasn't blaming you :D He was only thinking about how he drove when hewas young and he drove like a bat outta hell. Unlike you Troy was a total dufas with cars. LOL

Guys we gotta stop reading into posts. We're all friends here and seriously all we do is rib eachother. If you think your post could be taken the wrong way... USE A FARKING SMILEY DAMMIT! :D

Avsfreak1234
02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
some of us young'uns baby our trucks. we know we dont have any $$ to spend on reparis from doing stupid things, or burning clutches, or quickly wearing breaks...ya know, the usual. some of us drive like grandmas except when we have too. :D

Quick Draw
02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
So here are my thoughts as of now:

The clutch hasn't slipped the last 2 times I drove it, along the same route, after the same amount of warm-up. The only difference is that the first time was in traffic, in a gear a little too high, then once it warmed up with the first slip, it was pretty damn easy to get going. I'm thinking that the clutch will only slip if I heat it up pretty good....like I was doing with downshift braking, stop and go crap, followed by extended acceleration in a gear too high. This means that this may not be entirely urgent. Yes, the clutch will need to be done, but if it doesn't come together this weekend, that's fine.

I will try to make tomorrow my evalutation day for the situation. I'll drive it a bit, and see just how much it slips. I will also see if I can make some adjustments to the freeplay, and stroke. I know these are way out, and according to the factory service manual, that could contribute to slippage, but don't ask me how. After that, if everything is a go for the weekend, I will set the start time, get the parts together, make some phone calls, etc...

So....who's got suggestions for a parts source? Any possible discounts anywhere? What about the pilot bearing? Where should I get something to pull it? Should I get the flywheel turned, or get a new flywheel and take back the core? What else will I need? By the way, I have a motorcycle jack, that as far as I can tell would make an excellent tranny jack. It won't cradle the whole thing, but it will sure as hell help out a lot....

RedRunnertc
02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I recommend Marlin Crawler - they sell a kit that has everything you need - throwout bearing, pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, alignment tool, etc. Price seemed pretty reasonable to me.

I went ahead and got a flywheel from Marlin too just to be safe, and to save install time.

Motorcycle jack will work great.

tacotoy
02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
So....who's got suggestions for a parts source? Any possible discounts anywhere? What about the pilot bearing? Where should I get something to pull it? Should I get the flywheel turned, or get a new flywheel and take back the core? What else will I need? By the way, I have a motorcycle jack, that as far as I can tell would make an excellent tranny jack. It won't cradle the whole thing, but it will sure as hell help out a lot....

lol didn't someone tell you like a month ago to order the parts?????

www.trdparts4u.com (http://www.trdparts4u.com) email barb and ask for remanned parts, the direct replacement parts take 8 weeks unless they are actually in stock, tell them you are from the ttora club usually works. you will end up with some guy helping you but barb still works in parts if i remember.

troy is very right about getting a flywheel. mine was perfectly fine when i did mine, but i also did mine because the rear main started leaking.....

you could get the remanned parts and save some money now but the upgraded parts are definitely worth it, especially a higher weight pressure plate, it will hold the torque better when wheeling.

AxleIke
02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Smiley? Whats that?

I'm pretty much always a jerk. No need for smileys.

I dissagree about the motorcycle jack. I've done it both ways and it SUCKED HUGE using the motorcycle jack. Let me put it this way. We had the tranny back in within 15 minutes using a tranny jack. It took an hour and a half using the motorcycle jack.

I didn't really like the jack that Troy procured for his install. It was much less useful than the one I used. What I recomend is to look for one that has knobs on it. Those indicate adjustability, so you can tilt and move the tranny side to side and back and forth without wiggling or manhandling the tranny much at all. A smooth operation means less chance for damaged parts.

Hopefully not too many of you will take offense to this post. I realize a great many of you have MUCH more experience than I, a humble shadetree hobbyist. I offer this as simple experience, nothing more, nothing less, and expect it to only be taken with the grain of salt that it is worth.

Where's my smiley again?

Oh, and x2 on the Marlin stuff.

00regcab
02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
your clutch shouldnt heat up that much under braking by compression.

Unless you dont rev-match?

I try to rev match anything i drive for the sake of the clutch, and well, thus far, its worked out great for me.

I dunno why yours is going out so early, it cant be from one significant event.

My 92 had like 188k on the clock when it was towed away, i bought it with 177k (yes i drive ALOT) and beat the shit out of it for 6 months, on the original clutch, and never had a problem?

Just seems odd to me.

But none the less, if im done with the body work, bumper, and sliders by the weekend, ill swing by and lend a hand for a bit.

If youre going aftermarket OEM replacement, id look into exedy, ive had nothing but great expierence with them (however im not too sure if they make a kit for your truck). And, not too sure if its been mentioned or not, but either find a place that will resurface flywheels, or get a new flywheel before you do the install.

poorboyota26
02-13-2008, 06:47 AM
I baught my old truck cheap because it needed a cluch. I lived in boulder at the time and I couldn't even drive to flat Irons mall without pulling over and trying to make it up that hill. :rofl: memories. I did it by myself in a garage in a weekend (first time on a toyota).

You can do it just make sure you have all the parts you need and don't forget to remove the shifters. ha ha more memories. If your parent lets you it would be nice to have a beer when you get frustrated just dont get so frustrated that you pass out. :D

Your cluch is going to get worse the more you drive it so order the parts now and get your flywheel sorted out (i took mine apart on FRI and had it resurfaced early SAT morn).

A motorcycle jack will work but I used an engine hoist in the cab and down through the shifter holes with some ratchet straps. Lots of crawling out from under the truck though. Make sure you have a floor jack under there too "in case". If you dont do it this weekend I can arange for mine to be available next wknd.

Keep us posted and good luck. It sounds like you have a lot of people eager to help.

Don_G
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm having trouble with mine: The idiots at MIDAS who welded the AFR bung also broke both studs off that hold the Toy AFR WHEN PUTTING IT BACK IN!.

I got the old studs out, then they replaced 'em -- apparently with some cheap Chinese crap that broke after a few heat cycles. (I installed the Toy AFR myself, so I know they were not over-torqued.) At any rate I'm running very lean and one stud is broken off.

If I get it fixed I'll be available this weekend.

For pilot bushings: It's often easier to find a bolt that will self-tap into the bushing - then use it to jack the bushing out when it bottoms on the crank. (Or you can actually tap the bushing.)

If Troy's alignment tool is the right one, use it. Else plastic ones are usually available at NAPA for cheap. Think about the way the tranny will be wanting to stab, and bias the clutch alignment that way - usually by holding down on the back of the tool slightly as you tighten the pressure plate bolts.

I have never done a clutch in a Taco, and would like to gain the experience.

Quick Draw
02-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Let me ask you guys this: If you're driving along, and hold in the clutch about halfway for 3 seconds while still on the gas to heat it up a bit, can you get your clutch to slip? I could get mine to let go just a little bit by doing this....but I can't decide whether all clutches or just mine would react that way.

RedRunnertc
02-13-2008, 10:47 AM
The test for a clutch is to nose into something gently, set the ebrake, then try to start off in like third gear. If the truck stalls, your clutch is Ok, if it stays running, your clutch needs to be replaced.

Lysmachia
02-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Where's my smiley again?

I got yer smiley RIGHT here ya punk! *wink* http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/cheeky/cheeky-smiley-004.gif

DriftinCO
02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Get and use a transmission floor jack. That tranny and transfer case is NOT fun when it's sitting on your chest...especially if you're lying on a cold cold concrete floor on New Years Day...

AND have one person who marks EVERY bolt and piece as it's removed. That is put the drive shaft bolts in a bag and mark it, etc. This will save you a BIG headache when putting it back together.

tacotoy
02-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Get and use a transmission floor jack. That tranny and transfer case is NOT fun when it's sitting on your chest...especially if you're lying on a cold cold concrete floor on New Years Day...

AND have one person who marks EVERY bolt and piece as it's removed. That is put the drive shaft bolts in a bag and mark it, etc. This will save you a BIG headache when putting it back together.

amen to that! make sure its warm when you do it lol.

poorboyota26
02-13-2008, 05:58 PM
x2 to the bolt lableing and warm concrete

ike
02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
just take your time and keep track of the bolts like mentioned above and you will not have any trouble. It doesnt sound like you know for sure that the clutch actually needs to be replaced yet though.

Quick Draw
02-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I think it's going to be okay to drive on for a little bit, and this weekend really isn't working out real well. I need to finish up my days for ski patrol....and a warm day would be nice. I'm thinking March... If the clutch does turn out to be undriveable in the mean time, then yes, I will have to do an emergency replacement. For now, I will take it real easy, and free up some time for later. It's also possible that later on, in theory, I could just have a few days where my truck is completely torn apart with the clutch and suspension....then bring it all back together at once. Currently, I don't have the money to do both things, but I should by March. March also sounds good because I should have all kinds of time, and that will be right before I can really start to get wheelin' again.

I can just imagine my truck emerging from this grand transormation after about a week in the garage.... Lifted on my 33x1250s, good strong clutch, clearanced bed, and maybe a rear bumper and sliders? That would be awesome...it would finally look like a wheelin' truck

00regcab
02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
if your clutch was slipping bad enough to need replaced

you would let it out, your truck would rev up to 3-4k SLOWLY moving forward (enough to keep you from rolling backwards), then it would start to go.

A friends is doing that in her celica, she shouldnt even be driving the thing (told her that) but she still does :rolleyes:

So id say youre safe for a few thousand miles/months.

hanksyota
02-14-2008, 06:58 AM
So id say youre safe for a few thousand miles/months.

yeah just do it in a few thousand months, you'll be fine. the funny thing is, nate is way smarter than his mom.

00regcab
02-14-2008, 09:41 AM
yeah just do it in a few thousand months, you'll be fine. the funny thing is, nate is way smarter than his mom.

hahahaha smartass

you know what i meant!

RedRunnertc
02-14-2008, 09:54 AM
How would you know Henry?

Last time we talked, you said you didn't even know what her voice sounded like because she always had *coughsomethingcough* in her mouth ...

:rofl:

Quick Draw
02-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh geez....yet another thread gone to the discussion of Nate's mom... :rolleyes: Lol

00regcab
02-14-2008, 03:50 PM
what can i say? it relates.

Shes overly paranoid because henry never has it out of her mouth long enough to breathe

just like you're overly paranoid because you're essentially doing something that'll make anyones clutch slip

Don't heat up the clutch disc by holding the pedal half in, its either all the way in, or all the way out consistantly

(and to save someone else the hassel)

just like my mom likes it

:eek:

hanksyota
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
lets all just get off Nate's mom. GOD KNOWS I JUST DID. boo yah.

RedRunnertc
02-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Don't heat up the clutch disc by holding the pedal half in, its either all the way in, or all the way out

x2 adjust your speed with the throttle, not the clutch.

Quick Draw
02-16-2008, 12:54 AM
x2 adjust your speed with the throttle, not the clutch.

Well duh.... I don't drive around with the clutch halfway in to slow down. I did that to intentionally heat the clutch, to test for slippage. You'd think I'd have no clue how to drive a manual transmission the way you guys talk...

tacotoy
02-16-2008, 08:52 AM
i dunno that heating it up to test it was the best idea.... glazing it more isn't going to make it better....

RedRunnertc
02-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Not to slow down, Kyle - to either get started or control your speed offroad. MANY people slip the shit out of their clutch 'wheeling, leading to its premature demise.

Also, comments/replies are not necessarily directed towards the poster - they may be thrown in as info for completeness in case somebody down the road searches and finds the post. Stop taking stuff so personally ...

Quick Draw
02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
i dunno that heating it up to test it was the best idea.... glazing it more isn't going to make it better....

That was when I thought I was replacing it ASAP anyway....yeah....it was dumb....got it.

Quick Draw
02-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Stop taking stuff so personally ...

I try...but lots of people like to tell me I'm dumb or something, so I kind of get to be on guard for it...sorry.

tacotoy
02-16-2008, 07:15 PM
That was when I thought I was replacing it ASAP anyway....yeah....it was dumb....got it.

if you didn't notice we all kinda razz on everyone.... whether they do something stupid or not. just thank god youre not nates mom lol

00regcab
02-16-2008, 08:14 PM
lol my poor mother....

ill be getting kicked out of the house if she ever reads this im sure :lmao:

ike
02-16-2008, 08:19 PM
and now there isnt even enough room to sleep in your truck.

RedRunnertc
02-16-2008, 11:34 PM

:rofl:

Avsfreak1234
02-17-2008, 06:12 PM

with that extended cab there will be plenty of room in that 3' bed! :saw:

if ya didnt catch the sarcasm you shouldve. it was pretty easy. like nates mom.

AxleIke
02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Edited for OFF TOPIC CONTENT

Asha'man
02-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Edited For Quotation Of Off Topic Post

Quick Draw
02-17-2008, 08:19 PM
I appologize. Some things I just didn't quite percieve to be a joke, and more of somebody telling me that I'm wrong. This is easy for me to do when reading text and not talking in person.

As a ski patroller I often take crap as the "young newbie", even with 2 years of experience. These aren't jokes, and I know that for a fact. Patrol uses a form of hazing for training. There's a lot of things that you are responsible for and have to be knowledgable and skilled to handle when you are a patroller. Therefore, when you are the "young newbie", no matter how much you know, you will always be second guessed and criticized by some body. The best way to respond to this is to fire right back, and justify your actions and reasoning with logic and facts that get through to them. You have to fight fire with fire. That's the only way they lay off, and respect you. Basically I have an automatic reflex, to respond harshly when I think somebody is telling me that I'm wrong, when I think what I did was right. I do this frequently while patrolling, because it works, and I get used to it.

Also, I don't have a lot of "friends". I see "friends" at work and that's it. I see "friends" at school and that's it. They're more of acquaintences. I'm far too busy to form any sort of bond with anybody, but an occasional girlfriend. With you guys, you are a hell of a lot older, so I don't expect you to give a damn about me. But if you do, that's great. Therefore, I'm not used to this whole concept of "friends" I guess.

Other things I will admit that I took the wrong way, and I don't have a justification for that.

Quick Draw
02-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Right now, I can see where this is going. More of you are going to say just what AxleIke did, and tell me all sorts of other things. This is fine, and highly understandable. Go right ahead. I won't respond harshly to anything that I normally would, because I will restrain myself, but I can't stop the thoughts. The only thing that would really make me feel better is if you (AxleIke in particular, but really anybody) would be able to say and mean that you understand why I might react that way. And as much as I will try to let things go, that you will know and realize where I'm coming from, rather than respond with another "holy shit" post as seen above.

RedRunnertc
02-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, this has taken a bad turn ...

Quick Draw
02-17-2008, 09:00 PM
No kidding...

AxleIke
02-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Edited for OFF TOPIC CONTENT

RedRunnertc
02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Trying to close this train wreck of a thread, but the system isn't cooperating.

Send your support to Kyle via PM, or else just drop it.