: Airaid MIT

Breathegood
12-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Anybody ever try one of these? Maintain the stock airbox, but replace the intake tube with one that flows a little better (no J-trap or sound dampening device). Here's a link:
http://www.airaid.com/510-934_toyota.asp

stevet47
12-14-2004, 04:17 PM
i wish they would list the price, if its cheap someone should try it out, and see if it makes any differance. The deckplate mod would probably make the same or more power though, and that is only costs a few bucks.

Breathegood
12-14-2004, 04:20 PM
i wish they would list the price, if its cheap someone should try it out, and see if it makes any differance. The deckplate mod would probably make the same or more power though, and that is only costs a few bucks.
Performance Products lists it for $84.95 and I was thinking in conjunction with the deck plate mod.

stevet47
12-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Performance Products lists it for $84.95 and I was thinking in conjunction with the deck plate mod.
WOW, 85$ for less than a foot of plastic pipe. I think you should just stick with the deckplate mod. You can only increase the airflow soo much, so I doubt you would see much (if any) imrovement, and IMO definately not 85$ worth of improvement.

wisctaco04
12-15-2004, 07:22 AM
Anybody ever try one of these? Maintain the stock airbox, but replace the intake tube with one that flows a little better (no J-trap or sound dampening device). Here's a link:
I have it from a goof ball on ebay for only $25. It sounds louder than with the stock setup. It did also flow more air. I run the SC'er with FTC unit and had to slightly increase fuel delivery to compensate for the increased airflow. As for increased HP? Maybe a bit but nothing my butt can feel.

bb609
12-15-2004, 08:04 AM
I have one on the exact same setup as you have but an '03. It does zip for performance but does clean up your engine bay a tad. Between this thing and the open deckplate, it howls like hell!

Breathegood
12-15-2004, 09:13 AM
I have one on the exact same setup as you have but an '03. It does zip for performance but does clean up your engine bay a tad. Between this thing and the open deckplate, it howls like hell!
By any chance are you also running the SC Throttle body gasket? You know, the "O" shaped one. I feel like this setup is missing some low end torque/ponies, and I'ld like to maximize as much as possible w/o the SC. I'm saving my pennies for the SC, but if I don't have the cash in the next 5000 miles (already at 70K) I'm writing it off and spending the dough on more suspension upgrades.

bb609
12-15-2004, 09:34 AM
No. Short of a blower, I find the only mod that makes a difference is a dropin filter which gives you better throttle response. The deckplate gives you a little more at high end. Otherwise, it's all bs.

Breathegood
12-15-2004, 10:08 AM
No. Short of a blower, I find the only mod that makes a difference is a dropin filter which gives you better throttle response. The deckplate gives you a little more at high end. Otherwise, it's all bs.
Really. I found that when I did the deck plate there was a definate increase in low end performance. I had done the headers and cat-back first and really only noticed gains above about 3200rpm, but after I did the deck plate, it seemed to lower the power band to like 2600rpm. Granted, I didn't get huge gains from the deck plate, but they were noticable and the truck didn't seem to be starving for air quite so badly. I also live at 6200', maybe that makes a difference.

bb609
12-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Interesting. I'm at sea level.

Poopshute
03-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Sorry to bring back such and old post but I have to defend the Airaid MIT. I'm not sure if some of you know or not but our stock air intake tube has a resonator on it. This box acts as place for air to fill up resulting in more airflow restrictions. There's some ideas to remove the resonator on your stock set up at yotatech.com which will increase air flow however the clean and proper way to do this is with the Airaid MIT which includes all hoses and clamps. This in conjunction with the deckplate mod is awesome. Much greater throttle response especially at higher (2.5k+) rpms. I love the Airaid tube because it's one solid tube that has not restrictions to your throttle body and that's important for an N/A setup. Oh... add an Amsoil air filter and you're good to go. $89 isn't even that expensive for all the stuff you get with the kit. I give it my 100% satisfaction vote.

Oh, the Airaid MIT with the deckplate open makes your Taco roar at WOT... pretty cool.

Super Doody
03-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Oh, the Airaid MIT with the deckplate open makes your Taco roar at WOT... pretty cool.

Sorry to hurt your feelings but most of that is in your head. Sound does not equal power. I use to think that too. Force induction is the only way to make your taco roar.

Breathegood
03-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Against the advice of others and my better judgement, I put the MIT on my truck with the "o" shaped TB gasket, and after the computer had time to reset, I noticed a little more pull lower in the RPM range. I'm not so keen on the roar of the intake, but it did seem to perk the truck up a little. I think that we seem to get better results with intake mods at altitude than the guys at sea level. I've been told that a super charged truck at 6000' makes the same horsepower as a naturally aspirated truck at sea level, so I say every little bit helps.....even if it is very little.

DCabTaco
03-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Sorry to hurt your feelings but most of that is in your head. Sound does not equal power. I use to think that too. Force induction is the only way to make your taco roar.

Hey Jim, you beat me to it. I just responded to his post under the other folder. Hopefully he doesn't think we are flaming him, specially since you have the AIRAID and I plan on getting it, but we have totally different views and reasons for doing so. I will not dissagree with him that it may add HP, but if he really wants to defend this I would say supply actual dyno tests. Numbers, its all about numbers here.

Poopshute
03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Ha... you're not flaming me. I think you just understood me wrong. The sound is an extra benefit (for me... I like the sound). But like one of the previous posts... it did give the truck more perk. I'm not saying it gave me a certain amount of HP or whatever I'm just saying that it gave me better throttle response. Now, as mentioned on the yotatech forum there are other ways to modify your stock intake to remove the resonator (which does restrict air flow) that gives you the same affect as the MIT. I don't disagree with you at all that force induction is the only way (as far as the air intake system goes) to get GOOD performance results but for a simple air intake mod the Airaid MIT OR ISR mod with the Deckplate mod is worth it to me. It ended up costing me around $140 for the whole set up. Like has been said before... it gave me some better throttle response. I understand that sound means nothing as far as power goes. I still stand behind the mod.

Super Doody
03-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Hey Jim, you beat me to it. I just responded to his post under the other folder. Hopefully he doesn't think we are flaming him, specially since you have the AIRAID and I plan on getting it, but we have totally different views and reasons for doing so. I will not dissagree with him that it may add HP, but if he really wants to defend this I would say supply actual dyno tests. Numbers, its all about numbers here.

I guess everyone's ideas of HP is different. Other think exahust and deck plates adds hp while I think of pulley, wi, superchargers and turbos adds hp. Whatever floats your boat. I'm just sick of the post about intakes,ice in your in air box, air filters, deck plates and exhausts performance mods. I guess it similiar SAS guys' views on spacer lifts.

Juicy Jaos
03-17-2005, 11:53 AM
poopshute, in your other airiad post in the 4x4 section of the forum, you said "I can tell you for certain that there is more kick in the 2.5k+rpm range as well as better throttle response."

now in this post, you say "I'm not saying it gave me a certain amount of HP or whatever I'm just saying that it gave me better throttle response."

So which is it? Power or throttle response? Or both? I'm just trying to figure out what this thing gave you besides a louder intake sound and nicer looking engine compartment. You still haven't answered my question about how much power you think you got from this $100 pipe. I'm not flaming you either... I just want to know from someone who has actually got the thing in his rig. Thanks...

Poopshute
03-17-2005, 12:10 PM
poopshute, in your other airiad post in the 4x4 section of the forum, you said "I can tell you for certain that there is more kick in the 2.5k+rpm range as well as better throttle response."

now in this post, you say "I'm not saying it gave me a certain amount of HP or whatever I'm just saying that it gave me better throttle response."

So which is it? Power or throttle response? Or both? I'm just trying to figure out what this thing gave you besides a louder intake sound and nicer looking engine compartment. You still haven't answered my question about how much power you think you got from this $100 pipe. I'm not flaming you either... I just want to know from someone who has actually got the thing in his rig. Thanks...

Ha... just replied to your post on the other folder. I can't give you an HP amount. My Taco does FEEL like it has more power and the throttle response is better. All around between power and throttle response I FEEL it has given me an increase in both areas. I have to be careful with my words here or some may chop my ... well you know. The thing is I did the Deckplate Mod, Amsoil Air Filter, AND the Airaid all at once so all I can tell you is that from stock to what I have done there's an increase in power and throttle response especially at passing speeds. Again... 2.5k rpms and up is where I FEEL it. Sorry to make this so difficult but I'm trying to be as honest as I can.

Personally, if you were thinking about removing the resonator I would spend a few bucks more and get the MIT. All-in-all it's a simple and clean way of getting less restriction out of your air intake.

JaresTaco
03-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I wonder if I can use my old K+N FIPIK tube that has ben sitting in my garage, to fit into my stock box...Has anybody tried that yet..??mmmmmm.....I will try that tonight! Glad I saw this post...
Lates,

DCabTaco
03-17-2005, 12:29 PM
I wonder if I can use my old K+N FIPIK tube that has ben sitting in my garage, to fit into my stock box...Has anybody tried that yet..??mmmmmm.....I will try that tonight! Glad I saw this post...
Lates,

hey what is the tube made out of? let me know what you find out on the fitment issue.

Poopshute
03-17-2005, 12:31 PM
I guess everyone's ideas of HP is different. Other think exahust and deck plates adds hp while I think of pulley, wi, superchargers and turbos adds hp. Whatever floats your boat. I'm just sick of the post about intakes,ice in your in air box, air filters, deck plates and exhausts performance mods. I guess it similiar SAS guys' views on spacer lifts.

Man... all this mod stuff I did is just a cheap way to squeak out as much hp's as I can (also did an exhaust). Trust me... my ideal set up would be with a SC. It's just the poor mans way of getting a lil extra performance.

JaresTaco
03-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Ya man I will....probabley would work-out, I just need to find a piece of tubing to connect the tube to the stock box??...At-least it would get rid of the silencer/resinator and clean up the engine compartment and makes some more noise maybe gain a H.P. or 2...and I am not sure on the material used for it...I will check k+N and see....It's not metal or anything like that...

DCabTaco
03-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Ya man I will....probabley would work-out, I just need to find a piece of tubing to connect the tube to the stock box??...At-least it would get rid of the silencer/resinator and clean up the engine compartment and makes some more noise maybe gain a H.P. or 2...and I am not sure on the material used for it...I will check k+N and see....It's not metal or anything like that...

Ok, cool. I am just wondering if it has any heat shielding properties like some of those "real" cold air intake kits out there. If so I would rather go with that. The water injection should keep things pretty cool anyway, but I would rather have cooler air going in instead of introducing water and taking up valuable oxygen space. This is all little things, but every little bit helps and since the engine compartments temperature creeps up above 200 degrees that could be a few HPs worth.

Juicy Jaos
03-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Ha... just replied to your post on the other folder. I can't give you an HP amount. My Taco does FEEL like it has more power and the throttle response is better. All around between power and throttle response I FEEL it has given me an increase in both areas. I have to be careful with my words here or some may chop my ... well you know. The thing is I did the Deckplate Mod, Amsoil Air Filter, AND the Airaid all at once so all I can tell you is that from stock to what I have done there's an increase in power and throttle response especially at passing speeds. Again... 2.5k rpms and up is where I FEEL it. Sorry to make this so difficult but I'm trying to be as honest as I can.

Personally, if you were thinking about removing the resonator I would spend a few bucks more and get the MIT. All-in-all it's a simple and clean way of getting less restriction out of your air intake.

cool thanks for your reply. i did the deckplate and amsoil as well. i'll look into the airaid too... more for better throttle response, sound, and looks than anything else.

saki302
03-17-2005, 07:30 PM
I have the deckplate on mine, and noticed a loss of low end torque with it open (plus a little mouse decided to turn my air box into his toilet). I thinkt here are some slight gains at high RPM, but I was pressing the gas more to get going at lower RPMs.

I'll put a screen over it and try it again when I get the SC in there.

-Dave

saki302
03-17-2005, 07:37 PM
PS- does anyone in the Los Angeles area have the Airaid tube on their truck? It's listed as fitting a 1999+, though I have a 1998.. I wonder if I coudl get it to fit, if only to clean up some clutter in the engine bay.

-Dave

ARB1977
03-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Sorry to bring back such and old post but I have to defend the Airaid MIT. I'm not sure if some of you know or not but our stock air intake tube has a resonator on it. This box acts as place for air to fill up resulting in more airflow restrictions. There's some ideas to remove the resonator on your stock set up at yotatech.com which will increase air flow however the clean and proper way to do this is with the Airaid MIT which includes all hoses and clamps. This in conjunction with the deckplate mod is awesome. Much greater throttle response especially at higher (2.5k+) rpms. I love the Airaid tube because it's one solid tube that has not restrictions to your throttle body and that's important for an N/A setup. Oh... add an Amsoil air filter and you're good to go. $89 isn't even that expensive for all the stuff you get with the kit. I give it my 100% satisfaction vote.

Power is one thng but what about those that are looking for increase in fuel economy. Have you noticed any increase in that?

TRDOLMAN
03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Power is one thng but what about those that are looking for increase in fuel economy. Have you noticed any increase in that?
All the little seemingly insignificant mods don't seem to make much of a difference by themselves but when they are all added together you will notice. One day you wake up and you are making 275 RWHP and getting 21+ MPG like I am then scratch your head trying to figure out what mods did what.

Dave

ARB1977
03-19-2005, 12:11 AM
All the little seemingly insignificant mods don't seem to make much of a difference by themselves but when they are all added together you will notice. One day you wake up and you are making 275 RWHP and getting 21+ MPG like I am then scratch your head trying to figure out what mods did what.

Dave
Thats cool i dont think spending 3k+ on mods that only give you 21+mpg is worth it in my book, although 275 rwhp seems pretty impressive. My stock 2002 gets 21mpg and i didnt spend that much to get that. Now after looking at your webshots your truck is pretty sick.

TRDOLMAN
03-19-2005, 12:45 AM
Thats cool i dont think spending 3k+ on mods that only give you 21+mpg is worth it in my book, although 275 rwhp seems pretty impressive. My stock 2002 gets 21mpg and i didnt spend that much to get that. Now after looking at your webshots your truck is pretty sick.
I didn't spend 3K+ on mods to get 21+ MPG. I spent the money to make more power and have a hell of a lot more fun with my truck. I could really care less about gas mileage though I have to admit it was pretty nice to get a gas mileage gain from stock considering what has been added to this engine. The smile I get on my old wrinkled face when I step on the gas is worth every penny I've spent and then some.

Dave

spindleshanks
08-01-2005, 10:38 PM

Did you do the cat-back exhaust before all the intake mods? I'm in Loveland CO and I think the cat-back Magnaflow actually hurt mid-range rpm power. Did you notice anything like that? Cause that 2.5K rpm range you're talking about is just where I feel like I could use some more pull. I'm with you though, nothing frustrates me more than the useless factory air intake restrictions...baffles, tubes that go nowhere, etc. I dig the airaid

wslytoy
08-02-2005, 12:27 AM

too bad they ain't got 1 for a 2.7......

lotust
08-02-2005, 06:44 PM
I did not read this whole post. But I can tell you that tube will not make a noticable HP difference. :2cents:

TRDOLMAN
08-02-2005, 07:05 PM
I for one and a lot of others didn't get the MIT for performance reasons. I got it to clean up the engine bay and smooth out the intake tract.

4xbrian
08-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Anyone thought about making their own? It might not look too great, but what about a piece of exhaust pipe? like a 3-4" pipe bent to fit? You could even paint it or get stainless.... I heard pvc will create some kind of gas when heated, so that may not work. Anyone know for sure? Ive also seen on ebay short pieces of chrome pipe you can order cut to length, and use that along with a silicon elbow.......

Just a little thinking out loud here, with cheap and functional in mind......

wslytoy
08-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Anyone thought about making their own? It might not look too great, but what about a piece of exhaust pipe? like a 3-4" pipe bent to fit? You could even paint it or get stainless.... I heard pvc will create some kind of gas when heated, so that may not work. Anyone know for sure? Ive also seen on ebay short pieces of chrome pipe you can order cut to length, and use that along with a silicon elbow.......

Just a little thinking out loud here, with cheap and functional in mind......

I've been thinkin about this myself. I was thinkin more along the lines of aluminum though, b/c exhaust tubing wouldn't exactly disapate heat real well like aluminum. What diameter would 1 need for a 2.7? Also, where in the hell do you get those silicone hoses? I know Downey makes a chrome pipe, I'm not lookin for bling, I'm just lookin for something to help clean everything up. Let me know what you come up w/. Peace, Wes

4xbrian
08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
I've been thinkin about this myself. I was thinkin more along the lines of aluminum though, b/c exhaust tubing wouldn't exactly disapate heat real well like aluminum. What diameter would 1 need for a 2.7? Also, where in the hell do you get those silicone hoses? I know Downey makes a chrome pipe, I'm not lookin for bling, I'm just lookin for something to help clean everything up. Let me know what you come up w/. Peace, Wes

wouldnt heat diapation be a bad thing here? wouldnt it end up disapating INTO the pipe? :confused: No idea there... You could wrap a pipe in header heat tape.... But is all this really going to make that much of a difference in performance? I'm with you, I'm just trying to clean it up a little, but I'll shy on the side of good looking also. I've just been itching to do something, but have no cash for the really cool shit right now. BTW, I have a 2.7 also.

wslytoy
08-04-2005, 07:05 PM
wouldnt heat diapation be a bad thing here? wouldnt it end up disapating INTO the pipe? :confused: No idea there... You could wrap a pipe in header heat tape.... But is all this really going to make that much of a difference in performance? I'm with you, I'm just trying to clean it up a little, but I'll shy on the side of good looking also. I've just been itching to do something, but have no cash for the really cool shit right now. BTW, I have a 2.7 also.

good point, I ain't really thought about it, but then again now that I re-think it, they wouldn't use aluminum for heads........ hmmmmm, I still think aluminum would be a better material to use. OR, if you wanted some serious bling, other than chrome, you could always have a custom carbon fiber intake made, lol. I'm assuming you don't know the diameter of the pipe/tube needed? I'm lazy, and I don't wanna take mine apart for that, haha. Peace, Wes

4xbrian
08-04-2005, 07:14 PM
good point, I ain't really thought about it, but then again now that I re-think it, they wouldn't use aluminum for heads........ hmmmmm, I still think aluminum would be a better material to use. OR, if you wanted some serious bling, other than chrome, you could always have a custom carbon fiber intake made, lol. I'm assuming you don't know the diameter of the pipe/tube needed? I'm lazy, and I don't wanna take mine apart for that, haha. Peace, Wes

youre prob right about the aluminum, but I wonder if its worth the effort. It seems like it would make a negligible difference for the effort and cost vs steel. I would be interested in some numbers- steel vs alum. vs plastic etc. on intake temp at the TB.

I dont know for sure on the size, but I'd guess 3", give or take for metric

wslytoy
08-04-2005, 07:23 PM
youre prob right about the aluminum, but I wonder if its worth the effort. It seems like it would make a negligible difference for the effort and cost vs steel. I would be interested in some numbers- steel vs alum. vs plastic etc. on intake temp at the TB.

I dont know for sure on the size, but I'd guess 3", give or take for metric

yeah, I was thinkin along the lines of 3-4". I'm gonna measure for sure and probably call around and get some quotes. I don't know how cost effective it will be, but, I guess we'll see. You might wanna do the same for places in your area, there could be a price difference. It might not be huge, but it might be enough for me to get you to buy me some or vice versa.