: Most Bad Ass Bumper

flyingwil
04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Whats the most bad ass bumper you would buy for an '01 thru '04 Taco if money was no object?

x0ffr0adtac0x
04-29-2005, 02:42 PM
what type of bumper are you thinkg about? arb with winch, dezert bumper?

CronusTRD
04-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Stock one is pretty bad ass

grillmasterp
04-29-2005, 03:14 PM
If money is no object- Go Custom -

The old BPIFab > Poison bumper looks pretty sweet

Dick Foster
04-29-2005, 04:02 PM
It's subjective. It depends on what kind of wheeling etc. Generally speaking, for rock crawling you'd want a bumper made from plate like the ones that Bent Up makes. They will generally take more of a pounding but are usually heavier than others. For lighter wheeling like prerunning and wheeling though mud and brush, you'd do well by looking at something made from tubing like DeMello Offroad makes. Then you want to plan for the possible addition of a winch before you buy.

Paul
04-29-2005, 05:09 PM
For the rear, I would have to say the Demello Hybrid Bumper.

platform389
04-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Stock one is pretty bad ass

Until you hit something...

sploosh
04-29-2005, 06:20 PM
As bad ass as my stock bumper is, I still had to swap it for an ARB.

You could build a pretty cool one out of plywood........ :rolleyes:

AK98Taco
04-29-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm confident my bumper will take a pounding. It's made from the same tubing size that my sliders were made from.

http://printcraftpress.com/v-web/gallery/tacoma-front-bumpers/toms_raw_front

http://printcraftpress.com/v-web/gallery/tacoma-front-bumpers/toms_side_view

flyingwil
05-01-2005, 11:02 AM
what type of bumper are you thinkg about? arb with winch, dezert bumper?

I need a pretty versatile bumper living in Arizona. I can go any direction and do any kina of wheeling, from rock crawling, forest, desert running… AZ has it all. When I had my CJ-5 I had a tubular front that was modified into an air tank to air back up. I am not necessarily looking for this feature, but hey it was way convenient to air up. The only things I require is a winch mount, and radiator protection. I have seen a few bumpers that I think are bad ass, but leave the radiator exposed and open to punctures/damage. Looks also matter thus, the bad ass aspect. I think the ARB fits my needs the best, but want to be sure I look into all my options before choosing the right one. Bentup has great ones as well, and I like the functionality of stingers. I guess I am too damn indecisive to pick one and go with it. I was just wondering what yours are and what you wish it had or wish you could have.

Thanks,
Wil

04Tacoma4x4
05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
If money is no object- Go Custom -

The old BPIFab > Poison bumper looks pretty sweet

do you have any pics of the bumper you are talking about

hytenor
05-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Whats the most bad ass bumper you would buy for an '01 thru '04 Taco if money was no object?

$ is no object? custom, out of Titainium or stainless steel plate and tube for max approach angle and protection and light weight as possible. black power coating, of course ;)

Dick Foster
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Why would you powder coat stainless? If you really like sanding and painting so much, you're more than welcome to do my bumpers for me next time around. I just got finished doing them yet again. That was about the third time in as many years. I didn't have to do anything to the sliders but just look at them and say, yup stainless way the way to go. Although I do need to figure out a way to straighten that one tube.

hytenor
05-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Why would you powder coat stainless? If you really like sanding and painting so much, you're more than welcome to do my bumpers for me next time around. I just got finished doing them yet again. That was about the third time in as many years. I didn't have to do anything to the sliders but just look at them and say, yup stainless way the way to go. Although I do need to figure out a way to straighten that one tube.

but with the '$ is no object' clause I figure I should be able to find some mfg that can "color" the metal ;) I guess even PC would be a waste of time for this dream bumper.

take the slider off and find a tube bender to straighten it :p

AK98Taco
05-02-2005, 02:35 PM
How about anodizing?

Anodized green to match your green trucks...

Or anodized gold for ye ole' Bling King.

hytenor
05-02-2005, 02:48 PM
How about anodizing?

Anodized green to match your green trucks...

Or anodized gold for ye ole' Bling King.

Ooo, gold anodized bumpers, Dick! perfect...you might as well do the sliders too ;)

I'd be partial to something darker for my truck.

AK98Taco
05-02-2005, 03:12 PM
I looked into having some bling aluminum wheels anodized, but the only place in Alaska that did it was either out of business or stopped anodizing such large objects.

Dick Foster
05-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Its not gonna be that easy. Only the outer bar is bent and it’s bent up and toward the cab. The way it's bent I need to find two something or others that are close together that is firmly anchored in the ground like trees then winch it with a snatch block along with a tree saver strap or something to spread the load so an not to just collapse the tube. It's somewhat unwieldy.

Dick Foster
05-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Anodize is still just a surface finish. The first rock that hits it and you're right back to square one.

hytenor
05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Its not gonna be that easy. Only the outer bar is bent and it’s bent up and toward the cab. The way it's bent I need to find two something or others that are close together that is firmly anchored in the ground like trees then winch it with a snatch block along with a tree saver strap or something to spread the load so an not to just collapse the tube. It's somewhat unwieldy.

Ah, the heck with it...just sell them as is and make new ones...with more strength built in ;)

Dick Foster
05-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Ah hah, now I know your game. You want me to sell them to you. Is that it?
You're gonna have to start getting up a little earlier. LOL

hytenor
05-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Ah hah, now I know your game. You want me to sell them to you. Is that it?
You're gonna have to start getting up a little earlier. LOL

nah, mine still work...until I get some Chebby springs, that is ;)

Dick Foster
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I know your's work but I'll bet you're gettin damn tired of all the up keep.

AK98Taco
05-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Same with powdercoating. I probably should not have gotten powdercoating on my sliders (didn't request it, they came that way).

Dick Foster
05-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Well at least most of it is protected from corrosion. I had my bumpers powder coated but Rust-O-Leum semi gloss does a good job of blending in with the powder coat so I do my, annual now, touch-up with that.

BlingTaco
05-03-2005, 12:14 PM

If you're wheelin in az, i'd go with a bumper from cbi offroad ;) talk to steve

cbioffroadfab.com

AK98Taco
05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
True. For the most part my sliders' coating has held up very well. I stand on it all the time, and the concrete-like Utah mud doesn't phase them, nor does the pressure washer. The only issue is when I actually slide on them, and that requires a touch up, but so would any other coating.

MarzzTaco
05-06-2005, 09:39 PM
One of my custom jobs! :)

hytenor
05-07-2005, 01:33 AM
One of my custom jobs! :)

Dude!! where you been?? Wazup?

flyingwil
05-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Cool... custom looks like the way to go to meet my needs. I was thinking about using "cutting board" plastic on the areas that will frequently be slid on. I was toying with a design similar to puck sliders on leather motorcycle racing suits that can be replaced as needed. I never gave much thought other than rust-o-leum paint for a finish, but now that I have given it a bit more thought line-x or rhino might be the way to go with the plastics. I guess just another idea to test out for now.

flyingwil
05-14-2005, 06:19 AM
I just found this: http://www.roadarmor.com/ra3/toyota.html What are your oppinons on this? I remember seeing it in a previous post but cant find it now....

grumpy
05-14-2005, 09:19 AM
I need a pretty versatile bumper living in Arizona. I can go any direction and do any kina of wheeling, from rock crawling, forest, desert running… AZ has it all. When I had my CJ-5 I had a tubular front that was modified into an air tank to air back up. I am not necessarily looking for this feature, but hey it was way convenient to air up. The only things I require is a winch mount, and radiator protection. I have seen a few bumpers that I think are bad ass, but leave the radiator exposed and open to punctures/damage. Looks also matter thus, the bad ass aspect. I think the ARB fits my needs the best, but want to be sure I look into all my options before choosing the right one. Bentup has great ones as well, and I like the functionality of stingers. I guess I am too damn indecisive to pick one and go with it. I was just wondering what yours are and what you wish it had or wish you could have.

Thanks,
Wil

if you're considering custom, contact Josh at bent creations. he is in Phx.

hytenor
05-14-2005, 10:57 AM
I just found this: http://www.roadarmor.com/ra3/toyota.html What are your oppinons on this? I remember seeing it in a previous post but cant find it now....

too big, WAY too heavy and gawdy IMO

flyingwil
05-14-2005, 01:31 PM
if you're considering custom, contact Josh at bent creations. he is in Phx.

cool thanks for the info!!!

jhorn_007
05-14-2005, 10:15 PM

i have a badland bumper on my 95...
here is the best pic of it on my truck i can find at the moment...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/338704697/338724644hUIdeI

here is their site...
http://image46.webshots.com/46/2/46/44/338724644hUIdeI_ph.jpg