: Something Wrong w/My Truck?

ttman
04-29-2005, 10:52 PM
2002 taco xtracab V6 4x4 auto, 70K miles

I just got it for a week or 2 now & noticed weird driving sensations. 1st sometimes when I shift fr Park to Drive, there is a noticable JOLT. next sometimes when I come to a stop, feels like something seems to be "draggin" behind then "catches up" to the truck, almost as if u got tapped from behind.
ummm is this normal? is this the axle wrap I've been reading about? any help/info appreciated. I used to have a 1991 toy truck (4 cyl xtracab, 2wd) & have never experienced this.

Bryanccfshr
04-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Yes and yes, welcome to torque multiplication and soft springs. THe tump is actually the slip yoke. Greasing the yoke can help, getting aftermarket spring will help some more, going spring under or multilink will eliminate it.

You can also drive around it by allowing a few extra feet to roll to a stopm then ease off and stop again(this allows the tranny to shift to 1 while you are rolling and not while you are holding the axle in place with the brakes, causing the thump as soon as thatstored enrgy is released) and by using the brake to stop the vehicle completely before putting it into drive from reverse.

J-Man
04-29-2005, 11:54 PM
gotta love that axle wrap thump. they all do it at some point, mine did right off the dealer lot. stiffer springs solved that prob.

ttman
04-30-2005, 10:52 PM
does axle wrap occur on all trucks? why? how?

Bryanccfshr
04-30-2005, 11:25 PM
ttman]does axle wrap occur on all trucks? To some extent it does, some suspensions are less prone(spring under and linked) to it but the forces that cause it are always working against the suspension.
Spring over axle suspensions are at a leverage disadvantage to control it.

why?
Physics dictates reality, There is not simple answer without getting into a complete suspension booster.
how? Torque. In short when the wheel turns to push the vehicle forward the torque is forced against the supsnsion. This twisting motion is the root of axle wrap.

NUKE
06-18-2005, 03:54 PM
does axle wrap occur on all trucks? why? how?

What Bryan said but with a qualifier.
Stick shift trucks don't suffer from axle wrap.

Mike
06-18-2005, 03:58 PM
What Bryan said but with a qualifier.
Stick shift trucks don't suffer from axle wrap.

They do if you have big lift blocks and get on the skinny pedal. :D

Later,
....Mike

NUKE
06-18-2005, 04:06 PM
They do if you have big lift blocks and get on the skinny pedal. :D

Later,
....Mike

Don't start with me!!!!!! LOL

(I'm ashamed to admit this)
I bought some 2" blocks for the rear of my truck just to get it level and rolling and I haven't really noticed any unusual clunks or thumps from the rear. Then again, I'm not sure what your definition of "big blocks" is. :)

I intend to replace those POS blocks with 5" springs as soon as possible. I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling until I do!