TTORA Forum banner

79 FJ40 under the knife.... finally!

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  TACO98wrench 
#1 ·
So my 40 is goin under on Monday and let me just say I can't wait! It has been sitting for way too long! Anyways, I have a TBI 350/SM465/NP205 goin in. I have to fab a crossmember and choppin up the front end for the saginaw power steering. I figure that will be enough to get me started on the next step in the evolution of this 40. My expensive addiction has begun! :headbang:

#2 ·
I'm not the biggest fan of the "mullet" motor combo... but glad I see you're finally getting your project going! Post pics, everyone loves a LC buildup.

#3 ·
I wasn't too keen on it at first either. Ultimately it came down to cost. I got the motor, tranny, x-fer for $500 and the 2F I had pulled had less than 15lbs in the first three cylinders when a compression test was done. AND... it had been taken to a former friends house and stored by my ex during our divorce. Went to pick it up and the 2F had been sitting uncovered for a year layin in the grass. I was gonna part it out... not now. Maybe I can give it away! :rolleyes: The shifter was even taken off the tranny (don't know why) so it was full of water. All in all, pretty shitty deal BUT its now underway!

I'll post up pics as I can.

#4 ·
So a couple days have gone by. So far I've pulled the front clip, engine, tranny, and tranfer case. I dropped the fuel tank, which by the way had around 15-16 gallons of varnish in it... damn that stunk! Gutted the interior and attcked some of the rust I found in the bed. THere were a few pin holes but nothing too bad. There seems to be some rust under the sills at the outer edges of the amby doors. Dont know how I'm gonna get to it because it looks to involve a lot of cutting and welding. Had to pressure wash the inside of the frame rails as it was packed with mud... god i hate mud! Ok that was gay! Whatever! I sand blasted the frame from the firewall forward as well as the shackles and shock mounts. I got it back up in the air and pulled the shackles, leafs, and rolled the axle out from under it. And there it sits until tomorrow. Heres some pictures I shot. I'll get more tomorrow I'm sure.

Not bad for the first time with a plasma cutter

Safety First!

Thanks AA for the mounts and Straight Line Steering for the gear

Couldn't get over how thick these were compared to the 76 FJ40 in the yard... anybody know what year they switched out to these?

#5 ·
So the holes were cut from the cross member and frame rail, the mounting plates are welded in and cleaned up, axle is getting torn apart and sand blasted, brake lines are being made, and I just got my bushings, rotors, and calipers. Well, heres the pics...

#8 ·
hmmm, Eric, I am think my parts rig has manual, but I can look at it for you. I do know it has two boxes so maybe I am wrong, I am just not certain right now, memory is playing tricks on me.

#9 ·
If you haven't folded down the windshield in a while you might want to. I just folded mine down on our 73 and was amazed of how much rust had formed under it.

I second what Jamie said, nice welding.

this just makes me want to pull the ole '71 in and get started on her!

#11 ·
Yeah they are gorgeous welds for sure! I can't take credit for them though, they belong to Donovan at 4x4Labs. He is freakin awesome. Hardly any splatter. Soon as it cooled he hit it with a wire wheel and I got the picture. The guy is a freakin wizard!

#12 ·
Oops... moved some pictures around. I'll get the important one back up :rolleyes:

Thats better. So a couple more picture of the shackle reversal. This past week I cleaned up the splatter from the factory welds on the axle, sand blasted the housing and knuckles in prep to rebuild, and painted it. Its amazing how it rolls freely now! Got new Ubolts and mounted the axle back under her. Had to get a new steering gear with a 13/16's output shaft for my Spicer steering, pulled my steering column and cut it off/cleaned it up. Looking for a support bearing for the fire wall now. Pulled smog, ac, and exhaust from the 350. Gotta unbolt the 400 as its not mine... oh well. Get the 465 and mounts bolted up and ready to mock. Ordered a new radiator. Wow, kinda hard to go back and recall what you have done and need to do! :rolleyes:

#15 ·
I wish I could take credit for those welds... they belong to the guys at 4x4Labs though. I picked up a Saginaw Box from Straight Line Steering in San Jose, CA. Theirs uses a larger piston than standard GM models (ie, the 67-68 Impala Box) and has 4 1/4 turns lock to lock. I also got it with a 13/16's output shaft in order to fit my Spicer yoke for the steering shaft, when I get to that!

I actually stabbed the engine, tanny, and tranfer case and decided to get ahold of Advanced Adapters for a plate to mount the stock transfer case to the SM465. The NP205 was way too long and hung don too low for my taste. Oh yeah then there's the fact that I'd have to cut my cross member out and end up with an 8" rear drive shaft... needless to say, a bad day with not much progress!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.