TTORA Forum banner

diff leaking oil

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  halape10 
#1 ·
I had some grears put in my truck and ever since I got my truck back the rear was leaking from where the drive shaft meets the diff. is that the yoke??? and just about a couple days ago I noticed the passenger side cv axle was leaking diff oil too. is that easy to fix by myself? cause I can't bring to the center that did it, cause I would have to ship the truck out. I live in hawaii, but not on the major island. I tried to call and ask about the oil leak they said they would call back but no call. oh yeah I checked the cv axle looked like they hammered the cv in it's all dented. should I file a complant with the company?

#2 ·
Where the driveshaft connects to the rear diff is called the pinion flange. Under that flange there is an oil seal. If the shop was cheap, they might not have changed it when they did the gears. Its not a quick easy process to replace it, but you or somebody mechanically inclined can do it in your driveway. I believe the part is called a pinion oil seal. Replacement instructions are available in the online FSM.
www.ncttora.com/FSM

Is the front diff leaking oil between the diff and the CV axle? If so, thats another oil seal. Its common for those to get damaged when installing the CVs or for mud eats them up too. Drain the gear oil. Remove the CV from the diff, use a seal puller to remove the old seal then tap in the new seal. Apply a little gear oil to the seal and reinstall the CV. Fill the diff back up with gear oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.