: BudBuilt Belly pan

mrdoug
03-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Has anyone tried mounting up the full length belly pan that comes with the cross member support to an 02 taco (or similar)? I went to bolt it up this weekend and found that the drivers side bolts up to the e-brake mounts just fine (like it's supposed to), however the passenger side is a little funky. There are threads welded into the cross member but no threads in the frame (three holes in the right spots, just no threads/bolts welded into the frame).

I called Bud this morning and he says that by design I'm to run some bolts thru the threads on the cross member and then just slip them into the holes on the frame. So essentially, the cross member isn't actually attached to the frame on the passenger side, and the weight incurred from landing on the skid pad would rest on the bots that are just sitting in some holes in the frame. This sounds a little rinky dink to me. Granted I'd have to sheer off 3 bolts for it to actually fail and cause a problem, and I'm not a structural engineer so I'm not sure if the nut does much more than old it in place.

I'm considering just having the budbuilt cross member welded to the frame instead.

Am I missing something here? any advise/guidance/smart-ass comments?

here's some visuals
http://www.budbuilt.com/new/tacoma%20crossmember%201.JPG

http://www.budbuilt.com/new/images/Taco_skids3.JPG

TEJASYOTA
03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
You are not the only one that I have actually heard of installation modifications that were required. I think someone on the NB had to cut out a section to make it fit right.

As to shearing bolts - it all depends on the type of bolts that are supplied.
I would use Grade 5 bolts as a minimum.

I would not weld...because in the rare case you may need to drop your tranny...the cross member would have to be removed.

mrdoug
03-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Heh... yeah, if you're talking about this post:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48093&page=2

I believe he was putting the cross member up backwards. The 3 holes are supposed to be shared with the e-brake mount. But I just tried bolting this up as per bud's instructions and found that not all 3 holes actually line up. one is off by about 1/8th inch or so.

I was wondering about the problems with welding it up there too. I _think_ the transfer case would clear inbetween the crossmembers, but then, I've never had to drop a t-case either.

fondigley
03-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I am interested in hearing the outcome as this is one of my next projects. I was thinking that welding the crossmember may be the way to go before reading this post. I hope to work on my bellypan/crossmember in the next week or two.

mrdoug
03-11-2008, 08:05 AM
I've pretty much decided to weld up the crossmember and deal with cutting it off if/when the need arises. Something tells me that if something were to happen that required the removal of the cross member, the effort involved would be small compared to whatever it was that forced me to do it.

Now I just need to find somebody who can weld it up. Any experienced welders need a case of beer for about 30 min of work?

RedRunnertc
03-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Depends on what you call experienced ....

fondigley
03-11-2008, 01:10 PM

You have enough experience in my book.

mrdoug
03-11-2008, 05:26 PM

well... have you ever watched the sun rise from the bottom of the sea?

mrdoug
03-11-2008, 07:08 PM
ok, no hendrix fans here... Are you experienced? have you ever been experienced? well, I have...

maybe just a crappy ref... anywho...

Really I'm looking for somebody who's not just learning. Troy, I've seen your beads/work, that's what I'm looking for. If the sun hadn't gone down at the HOW I would have seen if you would do it, but that's the way the ball bounces. If you need the beer or cash, I'd swing by on the way home from work one night, but I don't expect you're to excited to get folks swinging by for work on their trucks so soon after that epic HOW. (by the way, anybody count the #of projects we had going on?).

I see that TheFatKid is looking for some side work and does welding, I'll check with him, otherwise if nobody is looking for the work or wants to do it, I'll see about getting in line at the next HOW.

thefatkid
03-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I would not trust my welder for that. If i get a new one I might start doing some bigger stuff. If I could get away with it at work i would help you out.

My welder is just about good for body and exhaust or odd projects.

mrdoug
03-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I would not trust my welder for that. If i get a new one I might start doing some bigger stuff. If I could get away with it at work i would help you out.

My welder is just about good for body and exhaust or odd projects.

I appriciate the honesty... thanks.