: Why manual hubs?

tacopie
05-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I've been cruising around here and Yotatech for a little while, but I can't seem to figure out why you would want to switch to manual hubs. What are the benefits on and off road?
Austin

Mike
05-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I've been cruising around here and Yotatech for a little while, but I can't seem to figure out why you would want to switch to manual hubs. What are the benefits on and off road?
Austin

Manual hubs are desirable over ADD because they allow you to disconnect the wheel from the front drivetrain when you don't need 4WD. With ADD equipped trucks, the front drivetrain components are always turning.

Later,
....Mike

Dick Foster
05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
And if you add an automatic locker, manul hubs are better because they keep the front driveshaft from spinning all the time.

tacopie
05-04-2005, 05:40 PM
So basically, it's just to help reduce wear and tear on everything?
Not to change the subject, but how exactly do automatic lockers work?

grillmasterp
05-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Austin

Pros for ADD-
-You don't have to get out of your vehicle to lock hubs- since they are always engaged with the shafts
-slightly larger diameter outer CV shaft compared to Manual hub

Pros for Manual hubs-
- Less wear & tear on CV shafts/boots since when hubs are free
- because of this - fewer CV boot problems on the upper end of the 3" front suspension lift
- You can still drive out with out a CV shaft

Mike
05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
So basically, it's just to help reduce wear and tear on everything?
Not to change the subject, but how exactly do automatic lockers work?

It's a little difficult to describe without animations, but I'll give it a shot.

In an open differential there are side gears connected to each axle shaft. In between them are two spider gears. All of this is in a carrier that the ring gear bolts up to. The arrangement with the side gears and the spider gears allows one axle to turn at a different rate than the other, like when you are turning. This is good for pavement, but bad for wheeling.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/img/diff.jpg

(Pic from http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/diff.html)

An automatic locker (like a Lockright) replaces the side gears and spider gears with a pair of drivers and couplers. The driver/coupler pairs have teeth with beveled edges, and are allowed to ratchet past eachother as long as torque is not applied to the differential. This allows one axle to turn faster than the other when cornering. When you apply torque, the cross pin pushes against the edge of the oval hole between the two drivers forcing them into the couplers and preventing any ratcheting. This locks both axles together.

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/642473/i/lockrite.jpg

Later,
....Mike

sploosh
05-22-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm getting ready to get the kit from Downey to convert to manual hubs. I checked out the install at parks offroad's page. That looked like too much for me to handle (especially after my hands got jacked up in Iraq). How much do you think a shop would charge to install that? Does anyone know if they come with good, clear instructions so the guy that does it doesn't screw it up? I doubt if anyone around here has done an ADD to manual hub conversion before.

hawaiianbro
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
(especially after my hands got jacked up in Iraq).

Not to be too much off topic.....but wtf happened to your hands?! :eek:

sploosh
05-22-2005, 09:09 PM
I was an infantry scout and our team was ambushed. I was blown up by a rocket propelled grenade and shot four times.

sploosh
05-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Damn. I'm still trying to get over that shit I read on the "forsake the troops" website. They celebrate when soldiers die and say wounded soldiers are leeches and morons. They have a thread in off topic about the cocksucker who owns the site getting his ass reamed on foxnews. Check out "michael crook gets owned" in off topic. I'll be pissed for days now. Sorry, getting off topic, I need manual hubs, dammit.

sploosh
05-23-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm getting ready to get the kit from Downey to convert to manual hubs. I checked out the install at parks offroad's page. That looked like too much for me to handle (especially after my hands got jacked up in Iraq). How much do you think a shop would charge to install that? Does anyone know if they come with good, clear instructions so the guy that does it doesn't screw it up? I doubt if anyone around here has done an ADD to manual hub conversion before.

Anyhoo.....bump bump bump bump it up

hytenor
05-23-2005, 02:06 PM

post a wrenchaton for your area on the GA board; I know for sure there are several members who would make the drive to help out a fellow membe, expecially a vet. It might cost you some pizza, might not ;)

kapelusprime
05-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Wup, Bro Don't let the mental migits get you down! I too was in the Iraq, 105th MP Co. Buffalo NY, from Balad,Fire Base Kalsu and CSC Scania. Been back for a year now, Glad your home and give a Thunderious HoooooRrrAAAAAAAAAA, to your boys of the 82nd! Had the fine pleasure of working with y'all.
I went to Basic at Ft. Benning, Alfa Co. 3/47th good old sand hill! If you know or see D.I. Big Butler or little Butler maybe D.I. Wilkerson or Gibbs Tell them Thanks for me. There training got me home! Thouse f@#$%ers that are cheering the death of a hero know not, nor will ever know the meaning of Honor,integrity,Dutiy and respect.
The consept of personal curage or selfless service is forgine to them. Thouse soulless
sheep, know only what it is to sit at a screen and dream of being a HERO like you! Some one who dose what they think is right with action, rather than write hurt full stabs on a computer. They will never know the joy of acomplishment, or the hurt of loss that you know. They can only proclaim there own version of Ideals on a faceless media.

Off the suject but I had to say it!

All my Love Bro!
SPC Kapelusprime

P.S. Teach them well, it saved my ass!

Dick Foster
05-23-2005, 02:52 PM
I think you're better off with an ARB locker and forget the manual hub conversion. After all is said and done you're into it for the same money and the ARB is better than an automatic locker.

hytenor
05-23-2005, 02:59 PM
I think you're better off with an ARB locker and forget the manual hub conversion. After all is said and done you're into it for the same money and the ARB is better than an automatic locker.

he was asking about manual hubs, not lockers you dumb noob, sheesh.

Dick Foster
05-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Don't be givin me any of your shit, I know what he was asking about. The only reason to do a manual hub conversion would be to put in an automatic locker, numb nuts. Geez do I have to spell everything out for you?

All in all it's better to just keep the ADD and put in an ARB locker. It's better and stonger and if all things are considered, it's probably just as cheap if not cheaper.

sploosh
05-23-2005, 10:33 PM
I was thinking about the ARB, but my main reason for the manual hubs is to get the full lift from my coilovers without killing my cv's. I was thinking downey coilovers, but it's either a 600# coil or an 800# coil. I think I'd just be better off with the 675# sway away coil because of the ARB and winch. I'll still get the 2.5" AAL and 5100's from downey. I tow a boat a lot, and usually haul shit in the truck so the AAL shouldn't be too bad. Maybe time for that all pro rear bumper.

On a side note, I know what I've done and been through was right. This is the greatest country on earth, but it does have it's pieces of shit just like any other place. Fuck em. They sleep safely in their beds because of me and those like me. Rangers lead the way.

hytenor
05-23-2005, 11:35 PM
I was thinking about the ARB, but my main reason for the manual hubs is to get the full lift from my coilovers without killing my cv's.

On a side note, I know what I've done and been through was right. This is the greatest country on earth, but it does have it's pieces of shit just like any other place. Fuck em. They sleep safely in their beds because of me and those like me. Rangers lead the way.

for $100 you can get hi-angle boot kits to take care of that worry ;)

wouldn't it be sad if that guy just, uh, disappeared some lonely night? :cool: but that would be sinking to his level and he ain't worth it.

Thank you so much for your sacrifice. there aren't many left in this world with that kind of courage.

chris

Dick Foster
05-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Ah I see. For what it's worth to ya. I ran the Downey IFS lift up front and swapped the coils out for their Tundra coils when I added a heavy front bumber and winch up front. It worked out really well for me. Right up until I went over to the SAS dark side. When I was still running IFS I ran 31 X 12.50 tires so cranked in just enough lift to clear the extra tire width. Tall and tippy is just not something that I have ever liked.

sploosh
05-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Chris talked to me about the tundra coils a month or two ago, but I thought that was just for those double cab guys. Now, I don't want it to sag, but I also don't want the "log truck" ride either. :rolleyes: I have an ARB on stock TRD suspension right now, with no winch, and I'm running 265-75-16's with very little rubbing. The bar's been on for a month and a half, and I've off roaded the piss out of it..... Do ya'll think I should go with the downey lift with tundra coils or a sway away with 675# coils? Is the downey one better?

Oh, and Chris, if he just suddenly went missing one day, that would be a shame.... ;) Oh, and thanks. It means a lot when someone appreciates what we do for our country. But the real badasses are the WW1-Vietnam vets. They don't make men like that anymore.

sploosh
05-25-2005, 08:46 AM
back to the top

hytenor
05-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Chris talked to me about the tundra coils a month or two ago, but I thought that was just for those double cab guys. Now, I don't want it to sag, but I also don't want the "log truck" ride either. :rolleyes: I have an ARB on stock TRD suspension right now, with no winch, and I'm running 265-75-16's with very little rubbing. The bar's been on for a month and a half, and I've off roaded the piss out of it..... Do ya'll think I should go with the downey lift with tundra coils or a sway away with 675# coils? Is the downey one better?

Oh, and Chris, if he just suddenly went missing one day, that would be a shame.... ;) Oh, and thanks. It means a lot when someone appreciates what we do for our country. But the real badasses are the WW1-Vietnam vets. They don't make men like that anymore.

stick with as light a coil as you can get away with. I have the 675 Sway Aways and they are a tad too heavy. I estimate I have around 350# of steel up front between the 100# bumper, 85# winch and all the skids and sliders. I imagine these coils would be too heavy for you as well. Stick with some 650s. The Downey 600s might work since you don't really need that much lift with your 32s; the 800s would be too much, IMO.

Someone posted a while back about his Fabtec kit doing very well on his excab with the same setup as you so you might put those on your list of 'maybes'.

Dick Foster
05-25-2005, 10:34 AM
I just had a Downey because it was the first one on the market for the Tacoma and was the only option for a couple of years. I have a 95, have been here and doing this for a long time now. I have no direct experience with SAW, Fabtech or any of the many other adjustable coil-over lifts out there now. Mine rode well with the Tundra coils with the heavy bumper and winch combo. My front bumper setup tips the scales at about 300lbs including the winch so it takes a pretty stiff spring rate to compensate.

BTW Viet vet here, so I know what you're going through with all these liberal in name only asshats running around. I pulled the plug in 74 after 7 years active AF. If I had my way we'd reinstate the draft right now. We’d not only have enough feet on the ground to get that job done it might give some these shitheads a little real world experience to work with before they go off flapping their jaws with their empty brains running in neutral. In fact, I think it would be a good thing for everyone to pull a hitch in either the military or the Pease Corp, their choice but no exceptions, right after high school graduation. That way these left wing fucktard college professors would have to try selling their shit to a class full of people that actually knows something of how the world works. By the time they got to college, the students may actually have some notion of what they really want to achieve in life and may develop enough backbone to see a challenging course of study in the sciences all the way through. Hell, they could actually wind up making a contribution for a change. Wouldn’t that be refreshing?

hytenor
05-25-2005, 10:42 AM
BTW Viet vet here, so I know what you're going through with all these liberal in name only asshats running around. I pulled the plug in 74 after 7 years active AF. If I had my way we'd reinstate the draft right now. We’d not only have enough feet on the ground to get that job done it might give some these shitheads a little real world experience to work with before they go off flapping their jaws with their empty brains running in neutral. In fact, I think it would be a good thing for everyone to pull a hitch in either the military or the Pease Corp, their choice but no exceptions, right after high school graduation. That way these left wing fucktard college professors would have to try selling their shit to a class full of people that actually knows something of how the world works. By the time they got to college, the students may actually have some notion of what they really want to achieve in life and may develop enough backbone to see a challenging course of study in the sciences all the way through. Hell, they could actually wind up making a contribution for a change. Wouldn’t that be refreshing?

Dammit Dick! there ya go again, being logical and all, sheesh. :p
AND that would keep the Nat guard home where they belong instead of the front lines.

Dick Foster
05-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Yep and that too, Chris.

Dammit Dick! there ya go again, being logical and all, sheesh. :p
AND that would keep the Nat guard home where they belong instead of the front lines.

sploosh
05-25-2005, 11:07 AM
So 265-75's are 32's? Hmmm, I thought they were 31's! I thought they were 31's, 285's were 32's, 305's were 33's, and 315's were 35's. So what is a 31, 265-70-16? That might explain the rubbing! :eek: I guess I'll just have to wait till November when my bonus gets here and see if downey has the 700# coils yet. I really wanted 33x10.50's on the 15" Wheelers black steelies. Type B would give me a little wider stance for stability, wouldn't it?

Also, and this is just a thought here, but for the price of man. hubs and coilover suspension lift, I can get a damn 5" tough country, which around here gets pretty good reviews. Will this hold the weight of my bumper/winch with no coilovers? I guess I can always get them later, huh? I wouldn't mind a 5" lift at all. :)

hytenor
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
So 265-75's are 32's? Hmmm, I thought they were 31's! I thought they were 31's, 285's were 32's, 305's were 33's, and 315's were 35's. So what is a 31, 265-70-16? That might explain the rubbing! :eek: I guess I'll just have to wait till November when my bonus gets here and see if downey has the 700# coils yet. I really wanted 33x10.50's on the 15" Wheelers black steelies. Type B would give me a little wider stance for stability, wouldn't it?

Also, and this is just a thought here, but for the price of man. hubs and coilover suspension lift, I can get a damn 5" tough country, which around here gets pretty good reviews. Will this hold the weight of my bumper/winch with no coilovers? I guess I can always get them later, huh? I wouldn't mind a 5" lift at all. :)

265/75 15s are a 31" tire but the 16s are a 32. 265/70/16 is the stock size 31. I know, all the different metric sizes are confusing. 285/75/16s are a 33" tire but so is the 305/70/16, the widths are different as well as the exact height but they are both considered 33" tires.

you can run the 33x10.50s on stock 7" rims with 2-2.5" of lift and only have minimal rubbing, that's what I have. the front mud flaps have to go, however.
a 12.50/15 will give you better stability but requires much more lift to clear.

But...you are already way undergeared for what tires you have now so don't even bother thinking about going to 33s with those 3.58s.

Since the TC kit does not come with heavier coils it will make no difference in supporting the winch/bumper; you'll still need heavier coils or a set of adjustable coilovers.

check Peter Parks site for good info on this since he has both the TC kit and King coilovers to hold up his ARB and winch.

sploosh
05-25-2005, 01:17 PM
I thought I had 4.10 gears. V6 TRD? Anyway, I saw the parks page on the TC and kings....very nice. I guess just the TC would gave to get adjustable coilovers added to it....so I need coilovers first no matter what I do, fo sho. Now what about the high angle CV kit you were talking about? I'd never seen that mentioned here before. I want manual hubs, but they are expensive. I just want coilovers cranked high enough for 32/11.50/15's or 33/10.50/15's. Downey told me not to take it over 2" without the conversion, yet I see all these guys running 2.5 and 3" spacers and it just makes me wonder. And the general opinion on diff drops is they don't do shit, right?

hytenor
05-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I thought I had 4.10 gears. V6 TRD? Anyway, I saw the parks page on the TC and kings....very nice. I guess just the TC would gave to get adjustable coilovers added to it....so I need coilovers first no matter what I do, fo sho. Now what about the high angle CV kit you were talking about? I'd never seen that mentioned here before. I want manual hubs, but they are expensive. I just want coilovers cranked high enough for 32/11.50/15's or 33/10.50/15's. Downey told me not to take it over 2" without the conversion, yet I see all these guys running 2.5 and 3" spacers and it just makes me wonder. And the general opinion on diff drops is they don't do shit, right?

oops, wrong thread, LOL yes, if you have a TRD v6 you have 4.10s

2" may or may not effect your boots. some blow them with that much lift but most don't have a problem. It seems to be a crap-shoot.
CV-Unlimited sells Hi-angle kits for $50/axle. Downey has them as well for a little less and there is one other source that I can't remember at the moment.
swapping boots is a pain but a lot cheaper than a manual hub swap ;)
10-4 on the "diff-drip" ;)

you can run the 33x10.50s on stock 7s with NO lift if you don't mind doing some trimming. Expeditions West has the writeup.

sploosh
05-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the help, Chris. I'll see what I can come up with. If I have enough cash at the time I might get the manual hubs. If not, I'll go with a high angle kit.

kapelusprime
05-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I just had a Downey because it was the first one on the market for the Tacoma and was the only option for a couple of years. I have a 95, have been here and doing this for a long time now. I have no direct experience with SAW, Fabtech or any of the many other adjustable coil-over lifts out there now. Mine rode well with the Tundra coils with the heavy bumper and winch combo. My front bumper setup tips the scales at about 300lbs including the winch so it takes a pretty stiff spring rate to compensate.

Roger that, Good holiday to both you men. As for The National Guard staying home,"Hell No!"..... I signed up on 9/12 at 27 years old to do more than donate money or blood! I lost two Bro's over in the sand box the 1st was SGT. Heath A. McMillin 07-27-03, 1st National guardsmen to be KIA since Korea the second was SPC Michael L. Williams 10-17-03. We've been called "Nasty Girls", "Week end worriors" and all kinds of stuff, But when they call us we go, where ever, when ever! Good Memorial Day to you to Vet's and to thouse still on patrol!

Dick Foster
05-31-2005, 11:40 AM
You too.
In the AF we called the Air National Guard folks FANGs. You can probably figure that out. The National Guard and Reserves have a whole new mission now. It's not at all the way it was back in my day. Then the guard was used for national functions while the active service types took care of the war. It's a raw deal all around when they call up people that volunteered and had already done their part and then force them to serve again.
Like I said, I think a little mandatory service after high school would be a real good thing. At least the country probably wouldn't be as apt to go off and elect a draft dodging coward for President and Commander in Chief.

kapelusprime
05-31-2005, 08:48 PM
You too.
In the AF we called the Air National Guard folks FANGs. You can probably figure that out. The National Guard and Reserves have a whole new mission now. It's not at all the way it was back in my day. Then the guard was used for national functions while the active service types took care of the war. It's a raw deal all around when they call up people that volunteered and had already done their part and then force them to serve again.
Like I said, I think a little mandatory service after high school would be a real good thing. At least the country probably wouldn't be as apt to go off and elect a draft dodging coward for President and Commander in Chief.

HooooooRraaaaaa!!!!! Worked with Air National Guard, flew my ass out of Baghdad Intrnational! Great Folks god bless'em. Hell they even picked our asses up and flew us home from Fort Dixx, so our Loved ones got to see us come home in style; instead of a bus. :D

NUKE
06-18-2005, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=kapelusprime]Wup, Bro Don't let the mental migits get you down! I too was in the Iraq, 105th MP Co. Buffalo NY, from Balad,Fire Base Kalsu and CSC Scania.

You from Buffalo???

grommit327
10-25-2005, 07:12 PM
I bought the front end (minus diff) from a 4 banger manual hub Taco for $250 and except for the new wheel bearings it had everything I needed to do the swap (cv's,wheel hubs, locking hubs).

My main reasons were because I kept blowing cv boots from road driving and so I could make it home w/o replacing that ever so common pesky broken cv (although I do carry a spare)

Joe

spacewrangler
10-26-2005, 12:22 AM
I think it would be a good thing for everyone to pull a hitch in either the military or the Pease Corp, their choice but no exceptions, right after high school graduation. That way these left wing fucktard college professors would have to try selling their shit to a class full of people that actually knows something of how the world works. By the time they got to college, the students may actually have some notion of what they really want to achieve in life and may develop enough backbone to see a challenging course of study in the sciences all the way through. Hell, they could actually wind up making a contribution for a change. Wouldn’t that be refreshing?

damn straight!