: ut oh

grumpy
03-20-2008, 08:23 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/community/swvalley/articles/0320ohv0320.html

Heatstroke
03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Thankfully the bill was voted down, again.

I understand trying to control rouge trails and support that wholeheartedly. It's when this leads to closing existing stuff illeagally that we need to stick up for our rights. This is why people need to get involved and support the groups who help fight to keep our trails open . . . . blah blah blah here is where everyone turns to a deaf ear. Thankfully the bill was voted down, again.

azrain
03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
The comments made by the readers shows two issues that we have to contend with;

1. The overall opinion of Joe Public with regard to the entire OHV community and,

2. The overall ignorance of Joe Public about the entire community.

The bill, on its surface, is not a bad piece of legislation. For example, how many RESPONSIBLE OHV users would pay 23 bucks a year for a tag or some such? My guess would be all of them, once the program was well publicized through the different clubs and communities. This is a benefit to those of us who choose to take care of our hobby / sport and weeds out the "one percenters" that need to spend more time earning money to support their future brain surgery.

The bill also supports programs for trail restoration and marking. Marking and maintaining the trails for public use is a huge step to changing the overall perception of the OHV community. Granted, there will always be "secret" trails and those trails have their stewards. Having been to one of those "secret" trails, I noticed everyone there was picking up garbage and junk the entire day of wheeling. These are the people that we are trying to support.

Folks, regardless of legislation or other oversight, we have to start with ourselves. Make it a point to carry a bag or something along with you when wheeling. If you see junk on the trail while you're ooohing and aahing over a spectacular wheelstand, pick it up after you wipe the grin off your face! Don't be afraid to confront those doing damage to our trails. Be courteous about it and nine times out of ten you will get a positive response. Most of all, walk the walk.

Mike

grumpy
03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
twice got lucky, how many more times can this bullet be dodged???? if the OHV comminuty stands by and watches it'll be like the smokers. They just had the tabaco co. fighting for them. You see how they faired in that !!!!

The $23 is another tax to use the land. Same as usuall for the Gov't, do you believe they will use the $$$ as suppose to???

azrain
03-20-2008, 10:16 AM
twice got lucky, how many more times can this bullet be dodged???? if the OHV comminuty stands by and watches it'll be like the smokers. They just had the tabaco co. fighting for them. You see how they faired in that !!!!

The $23 is another tax to use the land. Same as usuall for the Gov't, do you believe they will use the $$$ as suppose to???

That is what groups like the ASA4WDC is for, to be the watchdog for a program like this.

The bill, in its current wording is a plus to the 4WD community, for example:

28-1177. Off-highway vehicle user fee; indicia; registration;
state trust land recreational permit; exception
A. A PERSON SHALL NOT OPERATE AN ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE OR AN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE IN THIS STATE WITHOUT AN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE USER INDICIA ISSUED THE DEPARTMENT IF THE ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE OR OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE MEETS BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
1. IS DESIGNED BY THE MANUFACTURER PRIMARILY FOR TRAVEL OVER UNIMPROVED TERRAIN.
2. HAS AN UNLADEN WEIGHT OF EIGHTEEN HUNDRED POUNDS OR LESS.

This forces EVERY dirtbike, ATV, Rhino, et al to get a tag and follow the same rules we do or get a ticket (when caught.)

It's not perfect legislation, but it's a start to change the perceptions and to actually PRESERVE land for wheeling.

Link to the bill: http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/48leg/2r/bills/hb2573p.pdf

grumpy
03-20-2008, 10:28 AM
It's not perfect legislation, but it's a start to change the perceptions and to actually PRESERVE land for wheeling.

I'm confident that OHV'ers in other states said this also before laws were enacted, do they still feel this way??????

I'm on your side. I see where its currently heading towards.

Also, isn't your statement about "that s what the az4wdc is for", just what isaid about the smokers attitude when the shit started against them??????

soaz
03-21-2008, 02:16 PM
hmmm.
Will more money really help keep trails open. Maybe. Would it be better to just have all of us join a group like azohv or do as many clean ups as possible, sure. Will that be enough... Prob not.

I hate giving my money to the gvt to use their in-efficiency to try and maintain the outdoors.

I'd rather do it myself. Notice how when the economy goes sour the first thing to go are the park rangers and park funds... Rediculous.

I don't think there is a clear cut answer on this one...

There will always be yahoos, but I do think the OHV folks, us, need to get more organized and proactive before its too late.

Go and attend a free tread lightly trainer course. Its fun. I'm a tread trainer now to tech others how to tread lightly.

Go to any clean-ups you can make. Start carrying a trash bag or burlap sack off the back of your rig as mush as possible.

Oh, and hello Grumpy. Long time, no talk. This is tim from donahoe. Used to have the long travel silver taco. :)

grumpy
03-25-2008, 09:41 AM
wow you are still around. where you hiding at these days? coming out for AZrocks??
hope you have been well.

soaz
03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
wow you are still around. where you hiding at these days? coming out for AZrocks??
hope you have been well.

I've just been hanging out. I got a 4runner 4x4 and started doing some exploring. :D
AZ Rocks, I hope so. My 4runner may have other ideas. I've had some trouble getting ARB's and 4.88's installed. The truck is now going to 4wheelers to get it fixed.

grumpy
03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
toy gear installs should go to zuk.

4xClover
03-26-2008, 01:52 PM
toy gear installs should go to zuk.

He's already been to Zuk's Grump...
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95099

My guess is that he's taking it to Wheelers for the front diff..Zuk took care of the 3rd.

soaz
03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
He's already been to Zuk's Grump...
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95099

My guess is that he's taking it to Wheelers for the front diff..Zuk took care of the 3rd.

eggs zactly! :D
ZUK was great as always. He even gave me a brush and some paint to check the front gear pattern without pulling it. :eek:
Then he let me borrow an infrared temp gauge to check the diff temp as I break in the new gears.
The front is at 4wheelers to get done. :saw:

FJ40LVR
03-26-2008, 07:01 PM
SOAZTim - Huber!
If you need that bumper filler panel for your passenger side still, where that rock jumped up n bit ya - I just stubbed my toe on it and was going to throw it out...come n get it!

josh

soaz
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I fell back on my old penchant for cutting things off my car that get dented. :)
I cut most of the dented part off and put a tube under it. haha! If you're going to toss it I may grab it just in case. Once my truck is back from wheelers.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/4runner/IMG_0520_edited-1.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/4runner/IMG_0521_edited-1.jpg