TTORA Forum banner

Should I buy a winch, chromoly birfields, or hi-steer?

• winch

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • longfields

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • hi-steer

Votes: 9 37.5%

Winch, longs, or hi-steer

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  WallyP226 
#1 ·
Just did my taxes and I'm getting a refund. Should I get a Warn M8000 winch ($510), Longfields 30-spline chromoly axles ($665), or 4x4 labs hi-steer ($550)?

I have recently bought but not yet installed a used 5" Alcan lift, 35x12.5r15 tires, ARB winch bumper, sliders, rear bumper with tire carrier & gas can holders. I have an Aussie Locker installed in the rear. Thinking about installing an Aussie in the front.

Hi-Steer: The PO of the springs says he had some bump steer.
Longs: I don't know how to change a birfield (yet).
Winch: With a locker(s), it seems like I could really get myself stuck. I also work 4x10s so most of my time going out will probably be by myself in the middle of the week.

:xbeer3: Thanks for any thoughts.

#2 ·
Just did my taxes and I'm getting a refund. Should I get a Warn M8000 winch ($510), Longfields 30-spline chromoly axles ($665), or 4x4 labs hi-steer ($550)?

I have recently bought but not yet installed a used 5" Alcan lift, 35x12.5r15 tires, ARB winch bumper, sliders, rear bumper with tire carrier & gas can holders. I have an Aussie Locker installed in the rear. Thinking about installing an Aussie in the front.

Hi-Steer: The PO of the springs says he had some bump steer.
Longs: I don't know how to change a birfield (yet).
Winch: With a locker(s), it seems like I could really get myself stuck. I also work 4x10s so most of my time going out will probably be by myself in the middle of the week.

:xbeer3: Thanks for any thoughts.
I'd look for stuff used and get two or all of it for your budget.

If you must, get the hi steer its so much stronger than stock and eliminates other problems.

Longs are great, but if you don't drive like an idiot you'll be fine without a front locker. Get some stock spares. You should know how to fix your rig, so do it in your driveway/garrage just to get everything up to par.

Winches are great, but generally I use mine to save others, not myself.

#3 ·
If you wheel by yourself its a no brainer...winch. I wheel as hard as the next guy and I have used mine A LOT!! You can get stuck in lots of places that won't create enough stess to break your stock parts. Get the winch, then high steer, then the Longs...My2 pennies

#5 ·
#6 ·
I would opt for more than a 8k winch...60's aren't the lightest rig out there, add in the armor and tires you'll put on, I'd say go for a 9500. Which would put you out of budget.

If you plan on locking the front like you said, especially with a non-selectable locker, I would say Longfields first.

If you plan on leaving it open, (like wgasa said, drive half way smart, your stockers should be fine) in that case I would say Hi-Steer.

Me personally would do none of the above...I would save up for either get the h55 (5 speed) or crawl box :)

#9 ·
I have a Belleview 6000 on a reciever hitch mount, I suppose it would be the grandfather version of the 8274. I updated it a little, wired it with a remote and solenoids.

So I want to see pics of an 8274 mounted on an FJ! :)

Wally

#11 ·
X2,

A winch to me is a luxury, my buddies take advantage of. I rarely get myself stuck where I need a winch (never used it on myself yet)

the Longs can wait until you actually break an axle shaft and if money is short at that time, you can always just buy the side you need until the other side catches up and breaks on you. But if you are smart, it will be a while before you break something.

so that leaves the high steer, Well steering is a safety issue on and off the road. If you already have some bump steer, you should address that immediately, as bump steer is only a symptom of a problem that needs to be addressed.

#15 ·
In your illustrated situation, yes it was a necessity, but (and you know there is always a but) you had other options to get your truck unstuck.

I have been on many wheel'n trips that not one person owned a winch and we had many recoveries to perform, all successful.

Now given that same example of being on those wheel'n trips, I am guessing 30-45% of those recoveries that were needed, were because the vehicle was not locked.

I know I have both lockers front/rear and a winch on my truck now. Since having everything. I have used my lockers everytime out on the trail. I have yet have to use my winch to get myself unstuck. Granted I have only had the winch on the truck for a year now, but I use the lockers all the time, and the winch, mostly to pull others out.

#18 ·
In your illustrated situation, yes it was a necessity, but (and you know there is always a but) you had other options to get your truck unstuck.
All I'm saying is that my winch saved my butt where/when I least expected to use it. I was in my own backyard. lol - still have the ruts too!

I was in 4wd when I got stuck - so I engaged the rr arb and got a little further before getting bogged down. Then I hit the fr locker which helped a little- I just couldn't gain enough momentum and wanted to minimize "trail" damage.

Now what about resale of each of the 3 items, winch, hysteer, & long fields- which will be easiest to resell or recover costs if op was in a bind.

The way I see it we all have a large "want list" for our trucks with limited budget/time. We want to maximize utility or enjoyment of our purchases over the course of our build-ups. So everyone will prioritize purchases a bit differently.

We've got different wheeling styles - So we'll have different wheeling priorities - Heck does anyone else have the same wheeling style/approach as Bear? I surely hope the Bear cubs take more after Momma Bear. lol

I will agree with the hysteer IF current steering is a safety issue though

#16 ·
I've used mine maybe a half doz times to either get myself unstuck or through an obstacle in the last 4+ yrs. But I use it for other stuff too...like pulling trees out of the way to clear a trail/road ;) I lost count on the # of times it's been used to pull others :p

#17 ·
I never said a winch was not useful! I am very thankful my friend had his at that take over you rescued me at!

I am just saying my approach to lockers first seemed the most logical to me for my situation!

Hell I have used my winch on the road since installing it! pulled neighbors out of their driveways in last year's snow!:D I have even used the winch to pull my project FJ40 around the garage and driveway instead of having to move it around on the incline.

#23 ·
Hell I have used my winch on the road since installing it! pulled neighbors out of their driveways in last year's snow!:D I have even used the winch to pull my project FJ40 around the garage and driveway instead of having to move it around on the incline.
Those and many more reasons why I voted for a winch. I too have used my winch to pull people out of the ditch, when I wanted to move a several hundred pound gun safe, bench around in the garage, I rigged the garage with pulley's and pulled them around.

Off road, from a performance standpoint, SAC, or other reliability and performance enhancing upgrade means one gets stuck further out or in a more precarious position. For me, its not a matter of "if" I am going to get stuck, it is a matter of when. Having the extraction equipment to me is not much different than carrying a spare or an extra CV in my case. All of us at some point are going to need to be winched if one pushes the limits much at all. :) Sometimes things happen in the parking lot as we have seen in times past. :rolleyes:

Wally

#22 ·
Hey Now!!!!!!

I'll have you know I have calmed down alot! and that bad rep was an Exaggeration to begin with!!!!!! I actually made the observation this weekend that I never broke anything when I stayed aggressive, but now it seems I am too conservative and break all the time!

Yup! you guessed it, I went a bit more on the skinny this weekend and made out a lot better than I normally would have! even in all the mud! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.