: Engine Degreaser on Exhaust Pipe?

bluto20
05-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Would it be safe to clean the exhaust pipe with engine degreaser? Or will it enhance the corrosion to the rust buildup on it? What are the pros, cons, alternatives to making the exhaust pipe appear better as well as prolonging it's life? Including cat and muffler as well

NUKE
06-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Would it be safe to clean the exhaust pipe with engine degreaser? Or will it enhance the corrosion to the rust buildup on it? What are the pros, cons, alternatives to making the exhaust pipe appear better as well as prolonging it's life? Including cat and muffler as well

I've put a lot of things on exhaust sytems over the years ranging from 409 to degreaser to acid cleaners like Zep-A-Lume. I, personally, have not noticed that any of them significantly accelerate the corrosion. However, some will produce some rather interesting aromas when they get hot. :D

What are the pros, cons, alternatives to making the exhaust pipe appear better as well as prolonging it's life? Including cat and muffler as well

The cat and front pipe should be 410 stainless steel or something similar. Yes, it will corrode, but only to a point. That corrosion is supposed to stop and form a protective layer. The USX building in Pittsburgh, PA is made entirely of 410, it's been standing for 40 years. The pipes behind the cat are aluminized however, I've found that it merely delays the inevitable.
If you want it to last as long as possible keep it clean and keep it painted. Any decent high temp paint should do the trick, I would suggest silver/aluminium or black. Don't waste a lot of money on "high tech" paints, you'll be doing this fairly regularly.