: Check engine light and rear leafs

tallsailor
03-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi!

I had a check engine light turn on while I was driving back to Gunnison from Vegas a week and a half ago. I called a friend and he said don't worry about it if the truck is running fine, which it was, so I drove home. I would like to figure out what it's indicating, but I am a poor college student. If anybody in the Gunnison area has the scanner thingy to pull error codes and would like to help me out, I would really appreciate it. My truck is a 96' Taco, 2.7L.

My other question is: does anybody have a stock rear leaf pack laying around that they would be willing to part with for cheap? My back end is sagging bad, and I will be carrying a lot of weight in my bed all summer (moving into my truck when it gets warm to save $$$). I want to build a custom leaf pack that will take the weight and give me my full lift height back (I have a 3 inch shackle lift, but the leafs sag at least 2 inches). A leaf pack with some life left would be nice. While I know I could get my current pack re-arched, the main leaf is so bad it's a little "S" shaped. It seems like it would be a better idea to start with a better leaf pack and add some of my current secondary leafs to stiffen it up. I plan on keeping the overload leaf.

Thanks,
John

Chalkie
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
The Autozone stores, at least here in the Springs, will read the code for you without charge.

hanksyota
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
x2 checkers, autozone, advance auto, will all lend it out right there. i have the same truck, and probably the same problem. code 0420, cat, exhaust leak, or o2 sensor. i also have the same leaf problem. whadda ya know. i have a 96 taco 2.7 too. get that code pulled.

tallsailor
03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
cat, exhaust leak, or O2 sensor... I probably have all three going for me! My cat rattles, I'm sure my exaust manifold is cracked, and the dang truck has 200000+ miles so it's about time for an O2 sensor to go. Well, Gunny is tiny and has a car quest and a napa. I will have to see if the guys at car quest will help me out.

Thanks for the replies!

John

Well-Strung
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Ahhh yes the good old 0420 error code. Thats what my truck has going on right now too

gr8goose82
04-01-2008, 01:12 PM
mine is the same way. the truck runs great since my engine rebuild, but i got tired of the light so i just pulled the dash and disconnected the light

hanksyota
04-01-2008, 10:22 PM
my check engine light just went off.