: header questions for my 22r

vwfastg60
04-02-2008, 02:11 PM
What do you guys think? I have a 4-1 header thats been sitting in the garage and im ready to put it on but i have a friend thats bugging me to trade him for his 4-2-1 header thats 2 piece. My headers one piece and might fit under the stock heatshield. All the egr stuff has been removed and it doesnt have a bung for the O2. I dont have that junk anyways....Do i trade?

I was always under the impression that 4-1 is better for higher RPM powerbut the 4-2-1 better for low end. My truck lacks power above like 3500 and always has. Now that i have the webber set up it pulls better but still lacks a smooth powerband. If you were to be adding a header what would you run?

Im going to be running a 2.5 cat back with a cat,2chamber muffler and a small bullet style muffler. Im trying to keep it quiet but get as much as i can for power. I know the 22r sounds like poop with aftermarket mufflers and stuff. I guess we will see on the sound. I can always put the stock muffler back on.

AxleIke
04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, I'm sure you know my opinion, but I'll give it anyways.

Don't waste money on your exhaust. All it will be is money thrown away.

I have a BUNCH of money into exhaust, intake, headers, bored motor, blah, blah.

No HP increase. Still slow. Wish I'd never spent it.

Just keep what you got, and sell the headers and use the money to swap that beast to d60's or something.

vwfastg60
04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Well i have the mufflers and cat and the header already. Its spent i just have to put it on. Im wondering if i should trade my friend for a cheaper header that i feel might give me less higher RPM power. I have the down draft carb and its tuned now and runs good but the header will open it up a bit more and really use the carb to the fullest.

RedRunnertc
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I had a Pacesetter 4:1 on my '89 22R. A friend had a Thorley tri-y on his '79.

The tri-y was much more "tuned" - you could really feel the truck "come on the pipe" in mx speak ...

I had BIG issues with exhaust leaks at the head flange. The Thorley was much better built.

ike
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
X2, the tri y design is much better suited for the 22r. and for your exhaust i wouldnt go any bigger than 2 1/4. More than that and your back pressure is actually too low.

cchark
04-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Keep the backpressure on your chit by going 2.25" or less on the tail back. You want the torque!
Chat with Downey and do as much work as you can yourself http://www.downeyoff-road.com (http://www.downeyoff-road.com/)

vwfastg60
04-04-2008, 05:57 AM
I have 2.25 now i think. I dont knwo what header i have now after looking at the downey. when i got it i was told it was. Mine has 2 runners that run accross almost to the others. and all 4 run back. After looking at his its a 4-1 header too. Mines way closer to equal length so i think im just going to stick it on with my piping and swap in the mufflers. They are lower profile and will tuck in the frame rails better then what i have now. Its a tough call tho i would like a better sound and keep it quiet cause now it sounds funny. but is stock replacement with the tail section cut off before the rear axle to clear the shocks.