: 'new' steering rack possibly bad

mrdoug
04-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I picked up a steering rack from someone and was just pulling the one (known) bad outter TRE off what is the passenger side and realized that it doesn't do a full circle range of motion. Almost like something inside the boot is bent so when it gets past centerline, it can only go straight down, then starts the circular rotation again. The driver side does the full circle.

My question is.. are both sides supposed to have the same range of motion?

I can post video if this description sucks.

mrdoug
04-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Uh.. nevermind, obviously bent inner TRE.

mrdoug
04-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Oh, follow-up question.. that sun, is it supposed to be so bright?

and fire.. hot right? water... wet?

Thou shall not drink and post stoopid questions

spindleshanks
04-06-2008, 09:12 AM
lol, go back to bed Doug!

ziggy428
04-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Do you know if the steering rack is supposed to move when you turn? Mine is making some kind of squealing noise when I turn. Could just be the A-arms need some grease but the actual rack is moving forwards-backwards mostly right underneath the steering wheel input shaft when I turn the wheel. Am I all kinds of hosed?

mrdoug
04-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Ok, noob warning, I'm obviously not an expert on the subject, but I'll bet a case of beer it's not supposed to move at all for any reason. There's a nice amount of torque specified for the rack bolts, you might want to check those and some bushings at a minimum.

devinsixtyseven
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Do you know if the steering rack is supposed to move when you turn? Mine is making some kind of squealing noise when I turn. Could just be the A-arms need some grease but the actual rack is moving forwards-backwards mostly right underneath the steering wheel input shaft when I turn the wheel. Am I all kinds of hosed?

Sounds like the bushings are getting worn. Pick up some OEMs or some poly replacements, and I bet the handling improves as well :kewl:.

-Sean

ziggy428
04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Haven't taken it off yet, but it looks like there is a bushing on the bolt right underneath the steering box that is squishing too much but I checked the torque and it was tight. Will try replacing bushings. I can only feel the rack move when say going diagonally across a speed bump it kinda pulls to one side. THX.

Mythica
04-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Zig, it needs new bushings and it will be set. Although, changing the bushings is a big pain in the rear.

OP: Do you need another rack without bent inner tre? I have one that will never get used and is only taking up space in my garage.

mrdoug
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Yes I do, but I'm short on $$ right now.

I need to get back to the guy I bought this one from and figure out a fair refund. I should have checked it out better before I forked over the cash, and expect to pay some sort of penalty.

For some reason when I heard "new, only 500 miles on it, I drove it home" I figured it was fine.... lesson learned.

Mythica
04-09-2008, 10:18 AM
try to work something out with him and let me know.

You can have the one i have for 60 bucks and that includes brand new in the sealed package bushings. It will need the power steering line fittings off your old rack, as i have used mine for my swap.

Bushings: http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacorackbushkit.htm

The rack has about 115k on it, but it has no leaks, is not bent in any way. Inner and outer tres with it as well. Worked great when i took it off, just needs another set of bushing, which come with it.

Good luck dealing with the return of the old one.

And hey, if you need this to get your dd truck running let me know, i can work something out with you.

mrdoug
04-09-2008, 11:12 AM
very much appreciated. Flag that rack for me, I'll take it.. but I don't need it immediately. My current rack is still working, just a little loose and needs to be replaced. I tore the driver boot some time back and never fixed it, so I suspect that's the cause of the looseness (it's got 110k on it). I have some new energy suspension bushings (the rack I bought came without). After talking with Mike down at ORS, he suspected that the bushings wouldn't do much to help me out at this point so I haven't bothered to put them on the current rack. My outter TRE's are fine, I will save any duplicate parts for trail spares tho.

Mythica
04-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Kool let me know man!

The boots on mine are both in really good shape.