: Went to install hitch, found a broken leaf...

Earlyworm
05-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Went to put a hitch on my new (used) Taco and found trouble with the rear leafs, And that opens a big ole can a worms....

I did a search and found nothing about this so hear goes..

I just got a bone stock 1995 Taco extra cab V-6 5 speed that was built in 06-95 so I guess it is a mid year. It still has dinky tires on it but I would like to get a little more agresive for light wheeling, maybe some pizza cutter 31" tires. I still need to tow with it and daily drive and MPG will always be a concern.

Anyway,
I noticed the drivers side leaf spring is snapped and was grinding into the shock wich is now junk, but it looked tired anyway so no loss there.

So now my concerns are should I just find stock replacements or try to find somthing better? I do not want to do an expensive lift on the front end but would be open to newer better shocks and springs that will bring it up a bit on all four corners. I counted on needing new springs and shocks someday but not this week (Just payed for it and now insurance etc..).

So, the question is what should I do, get new stockers for that truck or find taller ones from another Toy (And if so what year/style?) And then, if it gets taller in the rear by 2" or so what should I get for the front to level it out?

Sorry to stink of newb, I just sold my EB last year and never had to ask questions about that thing. But this Taco is totally new to me!

Tweeter
05-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Ok well I am guessing that you need new rear shocks as well and leafs so braizing is out of the question for a quick fix. I'm sure you could find some stock leafs/springs for the back, but it really just depends on when you want to get a lift done. For safety reasons, if I were you I would find some stock replacements and save up money for a lift. What kind of wheeling were you thinking of doing? Trails, mudding, desert...?

tbplus10
05-09-2005, 12:44 PM
As with all of us I'm sure money is a concern, but if your gonna tow with this truck a replacement factory leaf pack will eventually have the same problem. I'd look at some of the sponsors on this board to see what they offer in the way of replacement leafs for the 95.5 to 97 model trucks. It'll be a little more expensive than finding a used set of leafs, you can pay now or pay later, but your gonna pay if you go with used factory leafs. Good time to do a lift so you wont have problems with the new tires you want to add.

Tim

Earlyworm
05-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, where I live we do not have rocky canyons, so this truck will be a bogger at best. A trail rig for fishing etc...No EXO needed... I do not want tall, just enuf to do some 31" (or 32") tires and have room for them to work. I just cant see spending big money on the IFS, I think I can fit the tires I want on there now but if I can get taller rears and longer shocks and taller coils up front with matching shocks I am game! Then I can still tow the mower (Big mower) and drive it everyday etc...

ShowStop
05-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Check out these links:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/toyleaffixes.htm
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm