: What would make an engine die instantly?

RedRunnertc
04-10-2008, 06:39 PM
On the way home from work tonight, the truck just died - no sputtering, no bucking, just flat out quit.

Battery connections are all tight.

No check engine light (gotta wonder what the f-in POS is for if it doesn't light in a situation like this)

Tried starting it, cranks good, can even "drive" it on the clutch-start-cancel. Tried bump starting it, no go.

ike
04-10-2008, 07:32 PM
The only time that i have had a truck just die it was due to a bad ground wire from the battery. it doesnt sound like this is your problem though. it has to be something electrical, or fuel related in my opinion. Is it getting fuel? Maybe the pump died for some reason. Just putting ideas out there.

thefatkid
04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Key on engine off check engine light on?

Lysmachia
04-10-2008, 08:15 PM
The ECU 15 amp fuse keeps blowing. We swapped it out, he was able to drive almost home and it blew again. We swapped it out... and it blew again right away.

WTF is going on??

(Oh also plenty of gas, no sputtering - as in gas or fuel filter) so like Ike said - It has to be electrical. I Farking HATE electrical issues. So now we're down 2 4 runners, and 1 Job! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

thefatkid
04-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Check your O2 sensor wire by the t-case, that is a common short point.

Is the dieing random?

Electrical problems are fun! :D

Too bad your in Longmont.

ike
04-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I will keep brainstorming, but it sounds like a short somewhere in the ECU circuit. Now the hard part may be tracking it down. There arent any wires that got damage on the run this weekend that may be shorting due to the moisture we got today? Also is the ecu dry? Maybe there is a leak letting water get to it.

Lysmachia
04-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Is the dieing random?

Thanks Brian... that seems to be the best lead we've had. I mean Ron (Troy's rig) has been soaked to the bone so I doubt it is moisture.....

We might be calling you later for an over the phone trouble-shoot. Bill us accordingly! :D

gr8goose82
04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
if it's blowing a fuse, it's not a ground wire. first thing to do would try to follow the wires into and out of the fuse, if you don't find it, i'd just start following wires from the ECU out. even if they're wrapped, it shouldn't be too hard to notice where it's shorting out at, electrical tape will melt, as will the plastic stuff they usaully put wires in.

i wish i could drive, i enjoy fixing wiring issues. i would be there firt thing in the morning to look at it, if nothing else, buy a buttload of fuses and try and get it to the HOW or if someone up there has a trailer, put it on and bring it down.

Blowntaco
04-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Is the dieing random?

Ironically I just had this today on a '92 runner and this was the problem. Maybe thats yours---HOPEFULLY

Prodigy
04-10-2008, 09:08 PM
I had a jeep that did the same exact thing to me.

What happend to it was the rotor touched the cap frying that little sensor in thre.

RedRunnertc
04-10-2008, 11:20 PM
The O2 sensor wiring actually makes sense - at some point I burned through the insulation and taped everything up, perhaps some water got in it with the weather the way it is ...

Can those wires be spliced?

00regcab
04-11-2008, 01:43 AM
ignition coil would be my best guess...

ive had a couple go bad out of NOWHERE, drive the car, doesnt miss/spit/sputter, shut it off, go back out to start it (say after mcdonalds or something) and it just cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks.

Im sure you know how to check for spark, id start there :2cents:

:EDIT:

ehh, nvm, since its wires shorting... but i figure ill leave this bit of info so if someone ever searches for something like this.

ziggy428
04-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I know your problem.
http://scienceblogs.com/zooillogix/Mice.jpg
Lol, seriously though, they chewed through a wire in my stepsisters bug. Took forever for me to figure why it wouldn't start. Sorry, I'm useless.

Jade
04-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Stuff some foil in the fuse spot, start truck and walk away. After the fire, claim on insurance and buy new truck....hope this helps....;) :p

Electrical stuff is fun, but the intermittent stuff will make you pull your hair out....I've seen that you've been in that boat.:lmao:

ike
04-11-2008, 03:08 PM
dont think he would get nearly what the truck is worth out of insurance. Troy, have you figured anything out on the runner yet?

spindleshanks
04-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Hmmm... have you been abducted by any sort of aliens and/or spacecraft lately?

ike
04-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I bet it was zombies.

RedRunnertc
04-11-2008, 05:24 PM
will make you pull your hair out....I've seen that you've been in that boat.:lmao:

And you're the captain of that boat baldy! :rofl:

devinsixtyseven
04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
You guys wanna borrow the multimeter? Dunno if it'll help :(...electrical problems suck bawls.

ToyRunner1
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
When my 85 did that, it was the wiring to the Alt that had shorted. It was easy enough to identify since it had no covering left at all...

Lysmachia
04-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Troy's gonna dig into it tonight while I make some apple pies to ship to Jade. Oh wait I still haven't shipped the Super Star disco Ball. Maybe I can bake that into the pie?

Jade
04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
And you're the captain of that boat baldy! :rofl:

Troy's gonna dig into it tonight while I make some apple pies to ship to Jade. Oh wait I still haven't shipped the Super Star disco Ball. Maybe I can bake that into the pie?

Yes! Super Apple Star Disco Boat Pie Ball to rub on my bald head....

http://sp1.yt-thm-a01.yimg.com/image/25/m3/2542813050

Goodie!!

RedRunnertc
04-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Well, the insulation on the wiring to the O2 sensor was melted (again). Cut it out (last time I just taped it up) and soldered it, heat shrink, tape, foil, zip tied the fuck out of it, hopefully it will stay this time!

Test drive went well, seems to have fixed the idle issue too! Hopefully my gas mileage will be back to normal...

dr350jja
04-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Well, the insulation on the wiring to the O2 sensor was melted (again). Cut it out (last time I just taped it up) and soldered it, heat shrink, tape, foil, zip tied the fuck out of it, hopefully it will stay this time!

Test drive went well, seems to have fixed the idle issue too! Hopefully my gas mileage will be back to normal...

Is that unusual? Why would it keep melting? Is there some other problem there? Just curious. :confused:

Glad you got it running :)

Jade
04-12-2008, 06:23 AM
^^^It's probably getting pinched or rubbed through the insulation and shorting to ground.

thefatkid
04-12-2008, 09:16 AM
I runs right over the exhaust. It is common for those wires to fall out of the clips (old and dried out or missing) and fall on the exhaust. Then the rest is obvious. It doesn't seem to make any burning smell like you would think though.

Another common wiring issue with those trucks is the splice points for the injectors. Because those trucks are "2 group injected" when a splice breaks your running on 3 cylinders. Honstly though, they feel like three cylinders to begin with. That will not blow a fuse though.

RedRunnertc
04-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I runs right over the exhaust. It is common for those wires to fall out of the clips (old and dried out or missing) and fall on the exhaust. Then the rest is obvious. It doesn't seem to make any burning smell like you would think though.

Yep - last time it melted kinda "clean" - this time it was all melted between the wires and stuff, had to be cut out.

Honstly though, they feel like three cylinders to begin with.

:rofl: Especially when the O2 sensor isn't giving good feedback to the EFI!

thefatkid
04-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I would hope your fuel milage would go up with feedback loop. I've seen those trucks with bad O2 sensors do as bad a s 13mpg.

I'll see you at the HOW if you have any other issues.

spindleshanks
04-12-2008, 12:29 PM
^^^It's probably getting pinched or rubbed through the insulation

Sounds like the time I was getting sexually harrasssed at the office. :D

Jade
04-12-2008, 08:27 PM
That'd still be better than getting pinched and rubbed with insulation.

Lysmachia
04-12-2008, 10:24 PM
That'd still be better than getting pinched and rubbed with insulation.

Especially that nasty yellow fiberglass bat kind. I should know - I was selling insulation sucking and blowing machanies.... which incidentally the company I worked for (Intec - 1 letter off from the Office Space Inatec) sold such machines...

Come to think of it my Ex boss reminds me a lot of Lumberg.... MMMMMkay?

RedRunnertc
04-17-2008, 07:35 PM
19.9 MPG on the last tank! That's almost double what I was getting before fixing the wire!

Jade
04-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Heck, that's better than what I've been getting.....

RedneckYuppyCrawler
04-17-2008, 09:09 PM
The same thing happened to my truck. I figured it was electrical and found the wire going from the fuse block to the pos+ on the battery was corroded. It was hard to see though because of the insulation covering it. I cut out the bad section and never had a problem since.