: Stupid lift bracket

RedneckYuppyCrawler
04-17-2008, 07:24 PM
So after reading this thread on the national forum http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92165&referrerid=23117 and having the same issue, I think I will cut off those stupid brackets. The only thing I wonder is, with all that extra room, will that put too much pressure on my CV joints?

RedRunnertc
04-17-2008, 07:33 PM
TONS of angle in compression for the CV's - droop is what you have to worry about.

RedneckYuppyCrawler
04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
OK so if I'm understanding you correctly it will be allright to cut off the bottom ones but not the top because I dont want too much down travel?

AxleIke
04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
OK so if I'm understanding you correctly it will be allright to cut off the bottom ones but not the top because I dont want too much down travel?

Sort of.

you can cut that off, but you need to weld on another piece higher up. You do need a bumpstop.

There is A LOT of uptravel to be had, but make no mistake, if you cut that off, and don't weld something on farther up, there is a VERY good chance you will snap your torsion bar brackets with a quickness. You will also likely be able to bottom the truck out completely, as in, smack the frame into the ground, and possibly wreck your lower a-arms.

RedneckYuppyCrawler
04-18-2008, 12:03 AM
So what if I put on something on like the bump stops Marlin Crawler has or would it be better to make something and bolt on the OEM stop. Also how big, 1",2"?

AxleIke
04-18-2008, 11:18 PM
If it were me, I'd carefully cut off that bracket, and weld it on higher. Up to you though.

How high you go up is going to depend a lot on your fender. If you don't mind cutting it out, and tubbing the firewall, then go to the max angle of the CV, which I want to say is 30 deg. Don't quote me on that though.

I will be doing this same mod on my stock set up, hopefully this summer. I'm going to be tubbing the firewall.

RedRunnertc
04-19-2008, 07:58 AM
I think it's 23 * for "normal" CV's, the Porsche ones go to like 29* IIRC

AxleIke
04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Ah, there you have it 23.

So, I'd set bumpstops so that when the arm contacts the bumpstop, the cv is at 20 deg. Gives you some "squish" room.