TTORA Forum banner

LED Lights

59K views 252 replies 28 participants last post by  NorcalPR 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright guys and gals,

I am looking for some led lights to go in my truck toolbox and my camper trailer. What do you guys use for 12volt LED lighting.

I am thinking the 12 LED lights for the tool box and the 48 led for the camper trailer. Does any one have any experience with these brand lights or this website.

Trailer Lights
Toolbox Lights

#2 ·
those look like they will do the job. i bought some of the led strip lights from wall mart. i was disapointed when i found out they were a directional light but it worked out as i mounted them to my rear view mirror{one of the big 5 mirror type} facing down. wired into my door switch it realy lights up the cab.

#4 ·
Here's what I just bought. 26 bucks shipped. If you need them immediately I would not recommend it though. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and they still have a couple weeks to get here. Literally come on the slow boat from china.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015593

Link to the actual lights

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/waterp...0x5050-smd-led-white-light-strip-dc-12v-91953

With 20 in a string, you can easily use 12 or so under your rig, use a couple for your box, and save the rest for spares.

#7 ·
wow

those are awesome, cheap, bright, waterproof, and small. I think I have changed my mind on the strip lights and like these better.

So basically you cut them at the joints (in between each light) splice to them and wire them up as you please correct. Thats awesome thanks.

#6 ·
I've had 4 Round Eyes lights in my engine bay for quite a while
http://www.roundeyes.com/Products-LED_Lighting.html
used the little round ones at the bottom of the page.
2 stuck to the under-hood and the other two right and left on the fenders to light up everything. wired to a toggle switch near the air box.

#12 ·
#18 ·
Just ordered my set, lets see how long it takes for them to get here.

Im not electrically inclined so if someone could explain how to wire these it would be great. and yes i know that i have to hook it up to the battery with a switch and an inline fuse and a relay if i need one? what i dont get is what are you talking about for parallel wiring?

#21 ·
I knew you would post something good. I was google searching and came up with a lot of reading, but i like your pictures.

#28 ·
Much! :D

so do you just clip the unused ends and seal them? I'd use some of that self-sealing shrink tube...works great.

#24 ·
wait wait wait, so these come strung as a series and if we want them parallel we have to modify them, correct?

#26 ·
i really gotta stop asking questions so quick. as soon as i asked each question i looked it up right after and got my answer

#34 ·
Mine showed up today. About 2.5 weeks to arrive. I hear on Pirate they're on backorder. I guess we're buying all of them!

They're encased in a hard plastic, so you won't be able to unsolder the wires.

Due to the small size, mounting should be a snap. They're also pretty bright. They're brighter than my 12LED "fog lights" that are under my truck right now, and I only ahve 7 of those.

Planning on using 12-14 of them, making one as a cigarette lighter as a "camping light", and one with aligator clamps to work under the hood. The rest will be spares :)

#37 ·
If anyone is thinking about these, I'd say they're a green light. Beam pattern is pretty wide for a LED and damn bright

Awesome... thanks for the feedback on these Phill

I bought two sets... and now I feel better about 'dat
Was the whole series of 20 functional ?

hurry up and get them mounted so's I can see 'dem on a dark trail

mostly... I just want to see how you mount 'em
...so's maybe I can copy you :p

#35 ·
Well I ordered mine 10 days ago. If NorcalPR got his in 2.5 weeks than looks like I have to wait 10 more days. My brother wants to put some in his boat to light up the deck while flounder gigging looking forward to getting these bad boys.

#38 ·
Yep, all 80 LED's were on and bright.

I did start today on attacking my birdsnest of wiring. Once it got dark, I cut one light off andadded 20' of wire to it, then started going under the truck and figuring out where the best spots were going to be...

The plan is to have one at each of the 6 body mounts. Basically just an aluminum tab with a hole on it, then the light sticks in place and is held by a screw. I'll also probably add some silicon around the base of it so no water can eat away the 3m material.

Then there are 4 lights that go right behind the pinch weld under the cab, at a 45 degree angle to shine the underside of the truck. One near the front cab mount, one near the other cab mount. Then one at each end of the truck in the middle to light the underside, then one on each side of the frame where the crossmember for the spare tire is. Same idea there, just a tab that goes under one of the bolts..

I also cut each one and added a small section of wire so that they're all the same length (So one spare light can be used anywhere) and I also crimped a loop connector for the negative, and crimped in a male connector on the positive side.

Along with the new fuse block. One relay for high beams, one for low beams, one for L fog lamp, one for right, along with the fuses for each. Still have to add in the CB, and ham radios. :)

#39 ·
Sounds like you 'ave a plan :D

I was thinking of doing a mounting tab as well...
But I thought these lights came with two bolt tabs ?

I didn't want to use the sticky... and was thinking a bolt on would be best
so that I can easily reuse the tabs mounted to the chassis.
Thought the sticky pad would make it a bitch if I needed to swap a light out.
and thought instead... could use the pad as a shock absorbing material instead... If it where thick enough... ?

Was also contemplating using the same locations (8 mnts) that I currently have my wally world lights mounted at
and facing towards each of the tires.
Assuming a single would be plenty bright and throw far enough...
tho' maybe I'll use four if need be, along the pinch weld/rocker, between the wheel wells. :dunno:

the wally world junk lit up well enough in this format...

I dunno about these lights tho'.

Hell's... I don't have them yet anyways :(

So's for now... I'll just follow along with yer install
and see where it takes you ;)

You going to start a fresh write up for their install ?
Be nice to have a place to show off mine when I get 'dem :D

#40 ·
I have my current rocklights mounted like yours. I tried aiming these like that but the beam is so wide it doesn't work well. Just aim them down.

I am running the ones at the pinch weld just to light up the middle of the truck.

The way I look at it, these lights are cheap and you have 20 to work with. Myswell run a lot of them

#42 ·
hey Dell, have yours shipped out yet?

#43 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.